popular ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesnt matter what you are shooting, it's you the shooter who will talk yourself into missing the targets, if you can hit 75% you should be able to hit them all.

In sporting if you can hit the target at least once on a stand, then that means you can do it, same on trap, its all down to you overcoming your mind...

Trap shooting is the easiest discipline to master, within 2 years of competitive trap shooting I came second in the English Open Single barrel with a score of 100. This will not be repeated in sporting I would even struggle to win my class ( c class ) however I still enjoy it 

deershooter
​Firstly congratulations on the second place. I assume you lost the shoot-off? Still, no mean feat to shoot 100 straight SB.

I'm not going to get embroiled in the trap is easier than sporting debate because it is a bit like comparing golf with cricket. However, having mastered DTL (or single barrel version thereof) why did you not move on to the faster trap disciplines? You obviously showed an aptitude for trap so why not take it on a level?

DT

​Firstly congratulations on the second place. I assume you lost the shoot-off? Still, no mean feat to shoot 100 straight SB.

I'm not going to get embroiled in the trap is easier than sporting debate because it is a bit like comparing golf with cricket. However, having mastered DTL (or single barrel version thereof) why did you not move on to the faster trap disciplines? You obviously showed an aptitude for trap so why not take it on a level?

DT
​Interesting question there DT. This person has an ability to shoot a discipline where he could win competitions but would rather shoot a game he cannot win his class? Odd to say the least but maybe he just would rather not win a discipline in which he has no interest ? Sad to see someone who has the goods but won't even use them.

Why is it sad or odd?   I am assuming he prefers sporting and its as simple as that.  Before I get caste in the evil hedge monkey mould against DTL - I absolutely love DTL, very relaxing.

Why is it sad or odd?   I am assuming he prefers sporting and its as simple as that.  Before I get caste in the evil hedge monkey mould against DTL - I absolutely love DTL, very relaxing.
  Maybe I have a different take on competing but I would far rather win at something I am good at than pursue something I am not good at, or at least not good enough to win something at. Saying it was sad was just my way of saying what a waste of a talent.

To me it's a bit like having the talent to be a concert pianist but scratching out a tune on a violin...  but each to their own as they say.

I can understand your point of view, but no point pursuing something if it does not excite you just because you may have a talent for it.   Anyway only Deershooter can answer for his take on it.

We will prob never know as Mr deer has a history of putting the cat amongst the pigeons then beggering off having got the rest of us arguing the topic. He is a trouble maker :)

Lets try and explain why so many prefer ESP despite being less adept at it compared to say DTL. I wouldn't drive an hour to shoot a 100 DTL comp even if I knew there was a good chance of a top 3 placing, conversely driving the same or more to place top 10 would still mean I can mentally dine out on the good hits/stands for a week.  :lol:

So you hit all of them at Trap, what ones do you remember and savour ?

Lets try and explain why so many prefer ESP despite being less adept at it compared to say DTL. I wouldn't drive an hour to shoot a 100 DTL comp even if I knew there was a good chance of a top 3 placing, conversely driving the same or more to place top 10 would still mean I can mentally dine out on the good hits/stands for a week.  :lol:

So you hit all of them at Trap, what ones do you remember and savour ?
​Clearly someone who has never had the pleasure derived from mincing too many hard left /right or  right /left OT targets :) . Seriously though I dine on scores and I do remember really good hits believe it or not I know a few UT shooters who have never straighted a round. I know that a winning score is a winning score but if conditions are good most trap shooters would be less happy winning without a couple of straights. What ever floats you're boat if you are happy shooting up to 5 pairs of the same per stand then bang away... now that is boring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree With John In ABT AND OT You remember A perfect shot on a difficult target and you can get a real buzz from it.

Wow I hit that well perfect target aquisition perfect smooth swing perfect shot placement and nice follow through, I must remember what I did then I can replicate it. This is when you usually miss the next three in a row :)

I shot a perfect left/right on Wednesday Ian it disappeared immediately must have been bang on centre... oh that feeling :)   Anyway whatever floats the boat but let us not pretend that the ultimate aim of the trap shooter is to hit all the targets.... which is exactly the same as for any other shooting sport. Actually I am waiting for the game where you are allowed to miss them :)   and still win !!

edit

By the way anybody who thinks a 45 degree left to right target is not difficult, despite the fact that you do not know it is coming, is clearly deluded :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I say bring back the old (never happened) challenge of Trappies versus Hedgies that Ed Solomons was on about a while back. We all shoot a 100 bird course, consisting of 50 sporting and 50 trap targets. I think we all know how this will go.. ?

Ooh yeah forgot about that.

Sounds fun. Venue  ??

We will prob never know as Mr deer has a history of putting the cat amongst the pigeons then beggering off having got the rest of us arguing the topic. He is a trouble maker :)
What a one sided remark from some one who doesn't know me then again with 10000 posts just a typical keyboard warrior 

for every ones information the reason I packed up trap shooting is I found it boring lifeless and unfriendly .hobies should be fun and enjoyable .the final straw was the English Open sSngle Barrel in 2008 at the worst shooting ground in the world "Beverly "

this event was abandoned due to a power cut I had 18 no birds in the first 25 .the CPSA then rescheduled it without publishing it in the pull mag which was against there own rules .

I resigned from the CPSA with immediate effect returning my membership .the CPSA then tried to bribe me with cheap membership for the next two years not to upset the apple cart which I refused .

i was not a member for a couple of years after that which was when I took up sporting as the local club has 3 sporting comps a month which are not registered events .Eventally I enjoyed the sporting so much I rejoined the CPSA to shoot registered at other grounds around the country .

in 2010 I became a bilateral amputee ( loss of both legs ) this makes standing for 100 shots very difficult however standing for 8 shots is not a problem  

i will challenge any one to any discipline and hold my own on a level playing field, so strap on them stilts and come and challenge me because that's what it's like shooting on two prosthetic legs .Disability will not beat me and keep me from the sport I love . 

Most trap shooters move on look at Richard Faulds , Carl Exton ,Bret Winstanly, Peter Wilson none of these shoot competitive trap any more ,also why did Paul Chaplow not move to what you people call proper trap shooting 

life is all about enjoyment 

shoot well and enjoy 

Deershooter

a remark based on your history.

keyboard warrior no just someone who lives and breathes trap shooting.

try again I wont take the bait.

ps

Beverley is one of if not the best trap grounds

Back