popular ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

just how well attended are trap events  these days ?   I was told our lincs double rise  county championship  was poorly attended ,  I much prefer  sporting  myself , much more sociable  to shoot , dtl  abt   etc  no talking  all over very quickly ,   100 sporting  can take a squad of 6  a couple of hours to shoot , walking from stand to stand  chatting  ,  are your county shoots doing well ? 

Trap events nationally are doing very well. You only need to look at the entry list for the Krieghoff DTL or the DTL weekend to see that. In fact, domestic trap is probably more popular now than it has been at any point in the past 5 years. 

At a local level, and i'm Lincolnshire based too, the popular trap disciplines continue to pull in good entries. The DTL championship always has a good attendance, as does the ABT. Minor trap disciplines like double rise never have been that popular as for most trap shooters it's not on their radar.  It didn't help this year that the county championship came just after England selection and just before the Krieghoff DTL. I don't think the weather was too clever either. 

Remember that most trap shooters take their shooting very seriously as there's usually no margin of error. Sporting is, for most, a far more relaxed discipline that lends itself to the more casual shooter. Consequently, there will always be more participants.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above however dtl is not what it was thirty years ago abt most definitely is not. As for Dr then Jan is correct it has always been a niche market which is a shame because I really like it. Can't comment on ot as I have only been shooting it seriously for five years as in the eighties it did for most of us hold an air of elitism and scared the bejesus out of most.

I think for grounds that are able to then all round trap events could become well attended. Degla and bev have held such events and they are a great way for dtl shooters to sample fast trap. 

Trap shooting is the easiest discipline to master, within 2 years of competitive trap shooting I came second in the English Open Single barrel with a score of 100. This will not be repeated in sporting I would even struggle to win my class ( c class ) however I still enjoy it 

deershooter

Can we just clarify that Mr deer is talking dtl here well single barrell version thereof.

Pretty sure OT is not THAT easy to master.

I think that it is always worth a wee smirk when I hear people tell how easy trap is to shoot. First with out being disrespectful DTL is a very tame version of trap... but although easy to shoot the targets , so I am told, It is definitely not easy to win a competition at. Faster trap formats are harder to learn and just as hard to win a comp. Getting back to the ease of learning it may be fair to say that it is a form of shooting where an individual can quite quickly see their scores increase, the problem is for nearly all is that normally they plateau two or three targets below what is required to be anywhere near winning a scratch competition. Mr Deer shooter I will give you two years to get there but if you are winning scratch OT comps within that time I will scoff me shoes with salt and pepper on, it is futile shooting 23's and 24's !

+1

If I have any shoes or socks left (due to cocker spaniels lust for them) I too will eat one. 

Whilst I don't want this to become a 'my disciplines harder than yours' discussion it's crazy to say DTL (or any other trap discipline) is easy. 

Sure, the targets aren't difficult to hit but doing it every time, with one barrel, week in, week out is way beyond the skills of almost every shooter I know, whatever they shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the fixed disciplines eg trap or skeet are going to find any weakness in your mind and I honestly think bret winstanly won last years british sporting as a direct result of is time spent on trap perfecting his mental game,coupled with many shells fired at different clays.

Whilst I don't want this to become a 'my disciplines harder than yours' discussion it's crazy to say DTL (or any other trap discipline) is easy. 

Sure, the targets aren't difficult I hit but doing it every time, with one barrel, week in, week out is way beyond the skills of almost every shooter I know, whatever they shoot.
I think that it has to be said the targets you get at DTL normally lead to a straight twenty five as being not uncommon... problem is you have to hit them first tube! So you are right it takes a good shot to hit almost every target first tube even though the targets are a bit more leisurely than say UT/OT but there is no way you can belittle anybody who can win a 100 target DTL shoot when they score 300!

All this hitting it with the first tube ? What do you think we do in sporting at Dtl you get two shots at every target if needed we at sporting get one shot one target unless you have one stand of 4 birds full use of the gun 

All this hitting it with the first tube ? What do you think we do in sporting at Dtl you get two shots at every target if needed we at sporting get one shot one target unless you have one stand of 4 birds full use of the gun 
​No disagreement but, without alienating the DTL shooters, DTL is not the pinnacle of trap shooting. As to the you only get one shot at the sporting target whilst true you have seen the target before and you know it is coming again in fact depending where you are on the squad you may well be sick of seeing the target. In trap you do not know what target you are going to get and in UT you never get the same target twice so in some comps you shoot 100 targets you don't what one is going to be presented and none of them are the same. I am not knocking sporting it, to me, looks a tough game but so is trap... just the hedge monkey's don't want to admit it :) ,

It makes no sense comparing difficulty of shooting a DTL target to an extreme sporting target as clearly the difference is huge but it is equally difficult to get to the top in any sport. It's not how hard the basic action is; it's being able to be better than the other competitors.

Was about to tell you all to put your winkies away but then Will came up with his sensible response.   :p   

Will the thing about trying to compare the different disciplines is bang on in my opinion. In trap I have to say the mental approach, I think, is a bit different. While in sporting you may have, if you like to call it, a boggy target type you can relax knowing when you are going to get them and see the targets immediately before you shoot them. In trap some shooters... not the best to be fair, have target types they don't like for example fast low almost straight, fast left right extreme angle and fast high half angled (25-30 degree) are examples. I know that you cannot afford to miss any targets but even two misses in a round and you can forget winning a UT scratch comp. Some trap shooters are upset mentally with this scenario, they know they are coming but they do not know when. However I think you are right you cannot diss any shooting discipline as being easy.

Back