Time to make some changes to our Team selection

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who remembers the televised pro celebrity incl royals shoot at Sealand in the 80s or am i dreaming it happened ?
There seemed to be momentum back then with the

likes of pro celeb shoots being televised. Proper A listers that even those across the pond will have heard of. Star shot had its own progrsmme on tv and I even remember the Rolex at sealand getting covered by Grandstand, or was it world of sport on a Saturday afternoon.

Think it all came to a jarring halt when that arsole went round Hungerford and other F@$ k wits have just ruined it.

Also the problems in the US are used yo give bad and totally distorted public view over here.

On the positive side I think things are changing.

Peter wilson has made good press since 2012 by showing the real side of what we do. Plus there's a couple of TV shows, sons of guns and American guns that are on regularly although on cable.

Thinking out loud

We need somebody to produce and get on air a TV show that follows the Major shoots and gets involved with the characters along with reporting who shoots and wins whatever.

Or is the sport too diverse to do this. Too many different discipline?

Beyond the politics Darts is one set of rules. We know who the best are. Same with golf. Tiger,Bubba Etc. The course might change but the skills are the same.

Sorry gone off on one. .

I remember the televised starshot even shot it comp a few times, very weird but great fun.

Ps

I hate to say this but imo the only thing that would be interesting for tv and none shooting folk would be sporting with flash clays like the usa one james posted a few days ago, trap would be tedious for anyone other than trap shooters.

I didnt say that out loud did I. ??

Ps

I hate to say this but imo the only thing that would be interesting for tv and none shooting folk would be sporting with flash clays like the usa one james posted a few days ago, trap would be tedious for anyone other than trap shooters.

Loud and clear I'm afraid Ips!   :biggrin:  

I couldn't agree more with you and with what Paul120 just said.

The format of the competition will make or break the popularity of any show. There's been loads of things that could be televised (Starshot, Clay Snooker, White Gold Competition etc) but it just takes that one bright idea to capture the imagination of the general public, but it has to be presented in a format which they understand, and is compelling to watch. Then it needs a production company to run with it.

Maybe that's the weak link here. Nobody will take the gamble with a "Non-PC" sport?   :fie:

Agree major gamble in uks pc environment. Will it ever happen, I very much doubt it. Unless it has its own online tv program, there is even a caravan tv channel for caravan anoraks so who knows.

Ps
IPS I'm no trappie and my wife can take or leave shooting altogether, however I was lucky enough to get tickets for the Olympic finals and watch Peter Wilson win gold. Both myself and the missus were glued to the action and have watched more on the ISSF channel.

" thats when the fight started "

ISSF TV is great.

Clayshooting.tv did some interesting pictures at WESP at EJC. I like the overhead shots. Clever that..!

The sport can be televised if you have the right approach to make it interesting. Flash clays help.

Not sure if the vimeo video link will work....

But Glen Presley posted this from his ground....they use the heli videos (drones) and the quality is brilliant.

A great watch..!

True. I took my son and a some friends to a have a go; hoping to get some interest into my son. He remains unbothered while his friends were really keen. D'oh!
I don't know how old he is but when my parents tried to push me into golf as a teenager and I rebelled.  You won't see this as pushing and his mates enjoyed it as they are free to call it as they saw it but for your son its not cool because Dad does it.  Move forward to when he's married and he will want to do things with you!  In the meantime girls, sex, beer, university will rule his life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back