The Price of Sporting Shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBeard

There is the makings of a heated discussion on this about the price of the recent Southdown selection shoot so I thought it might be an idea to have a thread devoted to pricing issues and discussions.

In the South West most people realise that we suffer from a lack of grounds  and if we want to shoot then we have to travel and pay what is necessary if we want to shoot.

The Southdown entry was £41 for a registered shoot with a high gun and class prizes.

I shot at Cart Ridge today, which is not affiliated to the CPSA, and paid £32 for a 10 stand Open shoot.  I was there for the shoot and wouldn't get anywhere in an open competition at my level but thought it was reasonably priced even though there were no referees and we shared the button pushing and scoring around each squad.  I'd have to travel an lot further away to go to another shoot which gives variety and changes the stands every shoot.  I have no idea what the value of the prizes that they put up.  There is a clubhouse doing pig rolls, pasties, teas and coffees, gun shop and they had 94 entries about a fortnight ago.  I don't know how many entries they had today.

Some will no doubt say that this is expensive but I'm happy with it in the absence of anything else closer to home.  I think that this equates to a Birds Only price elsewhere.

14 stands with referees is going to cost some as will the class prizes.  Grounds can charge what they like whilst they have shooters attending.  If the targets are no good or the price becomes excessive then numbers will decline.

We have no idea what the grounds other costs are such as rent etc.  If its too dear for you then shoot elsewhere.  Sometimes there is a CPSA levy which adds to the grounds cost. 

We've done this before but its been a while and there are some new members who will have missed it therefore.

Oh Robert... did you have to?? 

post-507-0-86686100-1396738389.jpg

Attachments

• Dog_Covering_Eyes.jpg
    Dog_Covering_Eyes.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
CPSA levy is only on a English Open etcetera

County levy is only on county championship shoots .

I think we will find that the higher entry fee shoots are because a good portion of the entry fee goes into a prize fund that let's face it is only won by a determined , gifted few. 

If you want to shoot at cheaper shoots, shoot club shoots, where you can shoot very good targets at reasonably low prices.

Hilton Park, & The Wergs  Junction 11  Hilton Park Services  M6 Motorway   100 birds  £16 for members  £22 for none members  or £10 for 60

Cross Gun Kinver  100 for £22 or 60 for £15.

Or you can practice on poor targets for £35 - £40 per 100.   The Golden Goose only lays for a limited period of time then waddles off to fresh pastures.

I mis-read this title as "the Prince of Sporting". I was looking forward to reading opinions on that one.

I know you would expect me to say this but I fail to see the problem of paying £41 for a 14 stand shoot. A lot of people happily pay £30 - £35 for practice for goodness sake!. It is a fact that the majority of shooters just can not grasp the extent of the costs involved in running a shooting ground and they appear to have a major problem with the concept of these grounds actually daring to make a profit out of their chosen leisure pursuit. 

Was your message sent from the south of France (Cote Dazur) using taptalk Ian? :crazy:  

I suppose the increased cost of sporting is having to pay someone to go around picking up the empty cartridge cases, especially from them there bloomin auto's !

P.S. they will have to provide a barrel blower at each stand next.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the sounds of it this topic is a tad controversial and people have strong opinions.

Think I will sit back and watch  :nyam:

Last edited by a moderator:
I mis-read this title as "the Prince of Sporting". I was looking forward to reading opinions on that one.
Me.... Discussion done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Given that the price of a reg shoot is broadly the same (ex CPSA levies), and that this is a price that the market certainly seems to be able to stand given the numbers of competitors I see week in week out; people should be more concerned about what they get for their money (because in my eyes there are significant differences in quality of product).

Quality and experience of refs, clubhouse and facilities provided, number of stands (the targets at Southdown might not have been to everyone's taste, but 14 stands makes a big difference when there is an entry of that size and should help variety of target!), quality and originality of target setter, prize fund levels, etcetera...

My experience on travelling round the country over the last couple of years is if there are people being short changed, it is in the significant disparity in quality of product offered...

You lot down South need to count yourself lucky!!! First Scottish sporting selection shoot at Auchterhouse was £45 for 10 stands of 10!!!

The next was £40 for 12 stands at Braidwood. (Joint 3rd in A) Today's was £39 for 10 ex 10, realy good shoot shot in unbelievable wet/wind for most of the day, a few long pairs that needed leeeed, good prize money, high gun 88, A won on 78, I was joint 2nd in A with 77.

Latest posts

Back