CPSA classification

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

When are the CPSA going to get a grip on their system? Will Hewland worked out a very good system years ago that could be updated practically instantly.
On Saturday at WMSG Hodnet Becky Mackenzie took second place and the prize money in C class .
What???? We have a seasoned international lady being classified in C class? It is my opinion that some unfortunate novice shot was deprived of a good result . WHY? Because a shooter has fallen out with the CPSA and joined the SCTA and been re-classified in C class . Not a question about cheating , more a question of how poor the system is.

As I have mentioned many times before, I am not a member of the CPSA but surely the association belongs to the members and if the members are not happy with this process of classification , then the members can get it changed? Or is it just to difficult to find a system that everyone is happy with?

I think the CPSA system works quite well actually, as long as shooters shoot enough and at different grounds. Sounds like a very daft quirk if Becky M is down in C class. I would like to see how that was worked out

It is unfortunate that the next C Class shooter will have been deprived of a win on what might have been one of their best days. Hopefully BM asked for the prize to be passed down the chain.

It would be helpful to know the reasoning behind the odd classification but I assume its simply having not submitted the required number of cards.

It may be that when you change associations and don't renew or keep your CPSAmembership current then your data is taken off the website so you are in fact starting over. Not saying this is what happened. Isn't it time we had one national governing body and complete transparency !

I could be wrong! But I think you need to submit scores to the relevant body to achieve your classification if you are not part of the cpsa. Failure to do so, results on you getting classed on the day!

I could well be wrong but do you not have shoot a minimum of 300 registered targets prior to being given a classification? Otherwise you are given a temporary class on the day based on the score achieved against the current cut-off matrix?

I can remember being placed into AA with an * next to it following my first super sporting event in which I shot really well. I've since shot 300 targets and been placed into a more suitable class during this period.

Last edited:
The CPSA rules do cover "unclassified" entrants, Rule 4.2 (b) for English Sporting, Ive no doubt the ground are both fully aware and implemented the rule for all such entrants on the day.
If a member falls out with CPSA and then later emerges as a member of the Scottish Welsh or Irish body then yes they will be a bit of an anomaly classification wise one fears, one would imagine the seasoned International shot here was a tad rusty as it looked to be a challenge for most.

There are so many holes in the system, I’ve spoke in length with the CPSA about how the system is being exploited and how even with the system in place it could be better policed, but they simply don’t want to do it.
The national classifications/rankings are far too easy to manipulate especially at so called registered grounds that don’t even have a master card! Can of worms for me this one chaps.

Well I need to add something else into the pot here!!
9 years ago I was an A grade shot. But about that time I managed to badly injure both my shoulders needlessly to say my scores really tuck a battering and I ended in C grade .Well myself and a few friends decided to give the Essex Masters ago in 2018 .I shot quite well and did an 86&84 in C
I was well pleased!! But I still to this day have no consistency I can be in the 80s or I can just as easy be in the 60s
My shooting buddies occasionally call me sandbagger ??
there must be other people out there like me .
But how are the CPSA supposed to deal with us
Dave

9 years ago I was an A grade shot. But about that time I managed to badly injure both my shoulders needlessly to say my scores really tuck a battering and I ended in C grade .Well myself and a few friends decided to give the Essex Masters ago in 2018 .I shot quite well and did an 86&84 in C
I was well pleased!! But I still to this day have no consistency I can be in the 80s or I can just as easy be in the 60s
Dave
9 years is well above the current (new) cut off for having your old classification voided, so now (or whenever you returned) you will be treated like a new member and be classified according to your submitted scores.

Dave
I know where you’re coming from!! I see so many people seesaw up and down, they themselves can’t put a finger on it,
It can be down to so many things!!
I myself wouldn’t want to elaborate on it, but there are plenty out there that know more.

when I look back over the last 6 months or so my scores vary plus 10 and minus 10 about my average which is quite a variation I suppose.
It depends where I'm shooting, the weather, the layout on the day and whether I'm having a good day or bad day.

Latest posts

Back