The English open at hodnet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Grumpy here, I've been moved onto Stand 12 .

Could you Guys please learn the Rules? You cannot view a pair if you have the opportunity to watch the previous squad shooting the targets.

Here is another typical conversation:-

" I hit that Ref !"    " No Sir, scored and lost." "He did hit that Ref"  says matey boy, 12 yards back and out of sight of the kill point.

" No Sir , he didn't , scored and lost."    Matey boy then chimes up , " You maybe can't see it Ref, being so short?"

"Sir I can assure you my height does not affect my sight ! Scored and lost."

Remember it is a sport and meant to be enjoyed, why wind yourselves up ?
You were 'big' enough to call it lost  !     :wink:

That you in the boonie hat? I will say hello next time!!! I have to say, the standard of refereeing was ever bit as good as the rest of the shoot, right from old grumpy on stand one cracking jokes, thru to yourself on stand 15...well done guys!!!
Yep that's me in my big hat:) And thanks for the nice comment.

I was wondering, who out of the finalists would happily take the first prize of  a perazzi, and 2 years sponsorship ?

chris childerhouse loves his browning, I think Adrian Johnson shoots a beretta ,

not sure of the others, only big George (if he makes it) already shoots one. 

Is there a cash option ?  Normally when guns are won they are sold quietly on. 

I know most of us on here would love this prize ( including me ) but most of the lads at the top of the tree have some form of sponsorship already, so I'm thinking It could be a bit of an awkward one for some. 

Its only my opinion, but for me, surely a prize like that would be better given to somebody , (junior/colt,) to help them get to the top, and not someone already there. 

The lads at the top shoot for the money and the titles, 

I mean, who wants to shoot a different gun to the one that you've  been winning with ?

Shooting this tomorrow. Could someone please list the lead required on each target on every stand.

Many thanks.
To get technical - a bit, a lot and an effing  lot.   Enjoy ?

Adrian shoots an mx2000s
I stand corrected sir, shot with Adrian at the home international, but didn't notice it was a perazzi,

a very nice bloke, and hasn't been shooting that long

(about 5years I think) hope he can pull it out of the hat this afternoon

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting, how many comments about lead ? 

Hardly any about Line.

Stand 2 , needed to know the line.

Stand 3, needed to know the line for the battue.

Stand 4, 5, needed to know the line.

Stand 6 , High bird missed more often than not over the top, by the time you'd got the correct lead the clay was slowing and dropping. White crosser = f****g tree , before or after .

Stand 7, bend your back and put your back into it, check the Hodnet Trademark signage, shooter silhouette on the right side.

Stand 8,  be quick on the standard, gives more time on the Midi.

Stand 11 Lead & Line very important

Stand 12, many many overlead it and shot over the top of trailing bird

Stand 13 , You cannot shoot rabbits behind banks nor fast crossers by shooting behind them

Stand 14, just make your mind up.

Stand 15 Learn to shoot and then learn to shoot fast Teal.

All this sounds all well and good , but then factor in nerves , and overthinking it all, and you end up with confusion.

I was wondering, who out of the finalists would happily take the first prize of  a perazzi, and 2 years sponsorship ?

chris childerhouse loves his browning, I think Adrian Johnson shoots a beretta ,

not sure of the others, only big George (if he makes it) already shoots one. 

Is there a cash option ?  Normally when guns are won they are sold quietly on. 

I know most of us on here would love this prize ( including me ) but most of the lads at the top of the tree have some form of sponsorship already, so I'm thinking It could be a bit of an awkward one for some. 

Its only my opinion, but for me, surely a prize like that would be better given to somebody , (junior/colt,) to help them get to the top, and not someone already there. 

The lads at the top shoot for the money and the titles, 

I mean, who wants to shoot a different gun to the one that you've  been winning with ?
I know one of the majors was a gun worth £13,000 (5 year sponsorship) or if you were not able to accept the sponsorship you got a £4,000 cash alternative.

But it's usually the gun or nothing.

I believe there were four stands with Sim pairs on !

Out of 15 stands.

Really good shoot with everything possible, it was certainly not an easy shoot but it produced some great shooting form some great shots.

3 stands cost me, the driven wrong lead found the last 3ex4 - 5 away, the orange crosser and green incomer classic hit one miss one then swopped over 5 away, and the simo midis at the top corner overlead -5 away.

Happy otherwise,

The shoot offs were well attend and some excellent shooting with plenty of chances for shooters to take an advantage, but there  needed to be a winner and Chris C managed it. I recently had a master class at Mickley Hall with Chris and it was nice to see him showing what his techniques can deliver. A Johnson fought him all the way and shot very well along with all the other finalists.

A great shoot, great ground, well run and even the sun was out.

Back