The English open at hodnet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a lovely ground, lovely squad, I managed 68/120.  I learnt an important lesson never ever change your set up on a major shoot ?  Changed my choke set up but changed back.  I enjoyed it very much and never swore once, remembered my talk with George and just let go of my losses and was calm the whole way round, no frustration at all even when I blanked the driven stand - just needed to sit down for a while to get my balance back ? And no puking this time like last time so that was a bonus ?.

Paul,

I wish that I could have shot this, but I only have 1 eye at present (the lengths that some will go to to solve a 'master' eye problem ! ). The shoot that we did was the 'Cheshire Shield' also at Hodnet on 31/3/16. We all had a cracking day (I think ?) but I will leave it to others to announce the scores. I just do not believe that anyone in the top 40 in this shoot,  have anything to worry about !  :ahappy:
Oh.. must of got mixed up with it being at Hodnet and all the talk of the EO.

As it's all gone quiet, I'll not ask any more questions ( in public) ;)

Think I'll have a trip there soon myself.. sounds like a proper good set up.

Shot this today and loved it!!! Set off badly and messed up some of the easier stuff at the beginning and my inability to shoot anywhere near driven targets continues to drag me down. I ended up on 85 which I'm okay about. It's lower than my average, but then it should be for a major. 

It's my first time at Hodnet and it was lovely. Such a beautiful ground and what a well run shoot. We had zero no birds, no queues and no breakdowns (traps not mental). Ran like clockwork and the refs were great too. 

Very well done to the ground for putting on a great event.

don't agree with supa dupa finals  ,  I know all the pros and cons , but in my book  its the best score out of 120 targets   end of .  :yell:   

Darkside

15 Mate

That you in the boonie hat? I will say hello next time!!! I have to say, the standard of refereeing was ever bit as good as the rest of the shoot, right from old grumpy on stand one cracking jokes, thru to yourself on stand 15...well done guys!!!

Such a lovely ground, lovely squad, I managed 68/120.  I learnt an important lesson never ever change your set up on a major shoot ?  Changed my choke set up but changed back.  I enjoyed it very much and never swore once, remembered my talk with George and just let go of my losses and was calm the whole way round, no frustration at all even when I blanked the driven stand - just needed to sit down for a while to get my balance back ? And no puking this time like last time so that was a bonus ?.
It's not George it's the "Red Feather" they bring good fortune and calmness.

that phrase "let go of you losses" is so true.

That you in the boonie hat? I will say hello next time!!! I have to say, the standard of refereeing was ever bit as good as the rest of the shoot, right from old grumpy on stand one cracking jokes, thru to yourself on stand 15...well done guys!!!
Lord H on stand 1

It's not George it's the "Red Feather" they bring good fortune and calmness.

that phrase "let go of you losses" is so true.
I had the lucky feather Rosso it is in my gun case safe and sound.

I have a lucky rabbits foot.. 

Don't think the rabbit  feels the same way though. 

Just got back, great shoot as we've come to expect from the hodnet team.

a little disappointed with 89, no real disasters anywhere just constantly dripped targets all the way around

straighted a couple of stands along the top including salopians stand (12)

Would love to have gone around for another go in the afternoon,

well done to all the refs, and hodnet ground staff, I wish I could go to a shoot like that every weekend, rather than some of the crap that's served up and called registered

Good luck to anyone on here shooting it tomorrow, you'll have a great time

Last edited by a moderator:
If the 109s are still in the top six of scores by tomorrow afternoon, do they shoot off or could we have more than six in the final?

Just got back as well, brilliant shoot and set IMO at the right level for the English Open. Ran like clockwork with no hold ups at all. 

Excellent all round; as previously stated, wish we could have more like it!

Old Grumpy here, I've been moved onto Stand 12 .

Could you Guys please learn the Rules? You cannot view a pair if you have the opportunity to watch the previous squad shooting the targets. 

Here is another typical conversation:-

" I hit that Ref !"    " No Sir, scored and lost." "He did hit that Ref"  says matey boy, 12 yards back and out of sight of the kill point.

" No Sir , he didn't , scored and lost."    Matey boy then chimes up , " You maybe can't see it Ref, being so short?"

"Sir I can assure you my height does not affect my sight ! Scored and lost."

Remember it is a sport and meant to be enjoyed, why wind yourselves up ?

Oh.. must of got mixed up with it being at Hodnet and all the talk of the EO.

As it's all gone quiet, I'll not ask any more questions ( in public) ;)

Think I'll have a trip there soon myself.. sounds like a proper good set up.
Certainly worth a visit, even if you have to travel a bit. Excellent ground and facilities.

Haha you blind old grumpy sod !!! You never seen the bit off the back of my rabbit either !!! Or maybe it was a stone it hit after I shot , bugger 

Back