The English open at hodnet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting, how many comments about lead ? 

Hardly any about Line.

Stand 2 , needed to know the line.

Stand 3, needed to know the line for the battue.

Stand 4, 5, needed to know the line.

Stand 6 , High bird missed more often than not over the top, by the time you'd got the correct lead the clay was slowing and dropping. White crosser = f****g tree , before or after .

Stand 7, bend your back and put your back into it, check the Hodnet Trademark signage, shooter silhouette on the right side.

Stand 8,  be quick on the standard, gives more time on the Midi.

Stand 11 Lead & Line very important

Stand 12, many many overlead it and shot over the top of trailing bird

Stand 13 , You cannot shoot rabbits behind banks nor fast crossers by shooting behind them

Stand 14, just make your mind up.

Stand 15 Learn to shoot and then learn to shoot fast Teal.

All this sounds all well and good , but then factor in nerves , and overthinking it all, and you end up with confusion.
Absolutely f***ing nightmare

Very interesting, how many comments about lead ? 

Hardly any about Line.

Stand 2 , needed to know the line.

Stand 3, needed to know the line for the battue.

Stand 4, 5, needed to know the line.

Stand 6 , High bird missed more often than not over the top, by the time you'd got the correct lead the clay was slowing and dropping. White crosser = f****g tree , before or after .

Stand 7, bend your back and put your back into it, check the Hodnet Trademark signage, shooter silhouette on the right side.

Stand 8,  be quick on the standard, gives more time on the Midi.

Stand 11 Lead & Line very important

Stand 12, many many overlead it and shot over the top of trailing bird

Stand 13 , You cannot shoot rabbits behind banks nor fast crossers by shooting behind them

Stand 14, just make your mind up.

Stand 15 Learn to shoot and then learn to shoot fast Teal.

All this sounds all well and good , but then factor in nerves , and overthinking it all, and you end up with confusion.
Stand 1 straight 8

Stand 2 Missed first bird of the third pair in front 7

Stand 3 Got the line of the first battue wrong 7

Stand 4 straight 8

Stand 5 pair dead, pair dead, missed the orange in front green dead, in front of orange dead green 6

Stand 6 shot all the crosses, middle of the tree first white, moved hold point and killed the rest before tree 7

Stand 7 pair dead, kill loss, pair dead, kill loss 6

Stand 8 pair dead, kill loss, pair dead, kill loss 6

Stand 9 loss kill, powered through the white one, pair dead, kill loss, powered through the orange?! pair dead 6

Stand 10 pair loss, powered through them??? loss kill, kill loss 'flicked' the gun past involuntarily, got really angry with myself and powered through them again loss loss 2 ...that 2 physically hurt!!!

Stand 11 still hurting from stand 10, killed my second last bird which confirmed I was behind the rest, embarrassing, hurt even more, all seven misses were like punches 1

Stand 12 I shot the trailing bird 1st, kill loss in front, pair dead, loss kill in front, pair dead 6

Stand 13 pair dead, kill paused for a moment to think "WOW, that one jumped, I was lucky to catch the bottom of it..." which slowed the gun speed and never got through it loss, pair dead, pair dead 7

Stand 14 pair dead, loss kill, loss kill, pair dead...really disappointed in myself for dropping two of those, no idea why I missed them!?!?

Stand 15 attached both of them, straight 8

91/120...very average score, let myself down badly on two stands

My score card Killers were stand 6 , 10 and 11.

Stand 12 after watching the squad shooting the fastest bird first leaving the slower bird to die and curl off.

Then the last guy shot the trailing bird first leaving you to carry on the swing and take the second bird on the same line more or less.

This mad sense to me so this is what i did and gave me a 7.

I believe there were four stands with Sim pairs on !

Out of 15 stands.

I stand corrected, but on 5 you could have had a brew  :cool:

You could have stayed round to buy me and Dave a pint!!!

we looked everywhere for you after the super final WE had to ref 

you could have had a few yarns about the wrong target being shown, before cries from tommy " not that one "" 

What about the Chief referee's commentary  during one of the shoot offs?     " Scored and lose ".

I couldn't hang around any longer , had to get back to do Altar Service at St. Nicholas's .

What about the Chief referee's commentary  during one of the shoot offs?     " Scored and lose ".

I couldn't hang around any longer , had to get back to do Altar Service at St. Nicholas's .
I didn't hear that one, I was busy trying not to cock it up anymore, and making sure the milli second they pulled the trigger, the other clay was on its way, embarising enough to push wrong button, certainly didn't want a delay on the second target . 

Thers more pressure than most realise , 

I have been shooting for 59 years, and competition started 53 years ago, I have shot in most of Europe, Australia, America , Canada, but I have to say that was the most efficiently run shoot ever. 

I am possibly the most outspoken critic of the CPSA ever, but once again the backroom boys and girls did a marvellous job. They even found Nick a job that he could do properly , pure magnetism Nick.

What many will not realise is that all the work on the ground , target setting, trap location , landscaping and earth moving, scaffolding , platforms and towers were all built by two men John the Groundsman and Tom Jones ( but it's not unusual,  :lol: :lol: ) the ground owner. They have worked for weeks from 7 a.m. until dusk preparing as well as doing the day to day running of the ground.

A MASSIVE , thank you to everyone involved in making this possibly the best Sporting Shoot ever.

As I said to one disgruntled England shooter , " you think FITASC is hard until you try Shropshire Sporting."

Thanks everyone for making my week so good.

Some great stats on wmsg Facebook page. Stand 6 only 8 straights all week.!!!

Some great stats on wmsg Facebook page. Stand 6 only 8 straights all week.!!!
It was the only stand I straighted unfortunately with 8 zeroes???? . In fact on 4 stands I managed to drop 27 of the 32 targets available. Am I bothered, not one bit, as a dedicated trap shooter I just didn't know how to approach some targets. If I put as much time and effort into sporting shooting as I do to OT, UT and ABT then I would hope to redress  the balance. 

Did I enjoy it? Absolutely I shot the course with some Pigeonwatch mates, we had a good laugh, and plenty of head scratching about how and why we missed.

We'll be back on the 21st for our annual PW North vs South charity shoot and I hope I can do justice to the targets and help the South to victory. 

as a dedicated trap shooter I just didn't know how to approach some targets. If I
Phil

That is exactly my problem on these weird ESP targets, doesn't half frustrate me, I could shoot those difficult ones all day trying to get my head round it . I hate being beaten by a pesky target :cry:

I have been shooting for 59 years, and competition started 53 years ago, I have shot in most of Europe, Australia, America , Canada, but I have to say that was the most efficiently run shoot ever. 

I am possibly the most outspoken critic of the CPSA ever, but once again the backroom boys and girls did a marvellous job. They even found Nick a job that he could do properly , pure magnetism Nick.

What many will not realise is that all the work on the ground , target setting, trap location , landscaping and earth moving, scaffolding , platforms and towers were all built by two men John the Groundsman and Tom Jones ( but it's not unusual,  :lol: :lol: ) the ground owner. They have worked for weeks from 7 a.m. until dusk preparing as well as doing the day to day running of the ground.

A MASSIVE , thank you to everyone involved in making this possibly the best Sporting Shoot ever.

As I said to one disgruntled England shooter , " you think FITASC is hard until you try Shropshire Sporting."

Thanks everyone for making my week so good.
You've been shooting longer than I have been born :)

yep me too in fact by my reckoning salops first competition was when I was minus one year old. He doesn't actually look THAT old in real life and strangely enough seems to have kept MOST of his faculties in tact. ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

I do reckon that I am mellowing in life nowadays, funny really , but I can now laugh at my own stupidity and others arrogance, knowing full well they will come around to my way of thinking in time. They are just making the stupid mistakes that I made earlier.

Nice to stand back and look at The English at Hodnet and think 'Wow ' what a pleasure to have been a part of it.

Message for Darkside , I really enjoyed the Scottish contingents, input and company.

I have received a very nice comment from a Mr Clark of Fife , who I don't know but obviously met at Hodnet .

Sian , I remember you shooting stand 12 , but thought it wise not to comment. :angel:

Thanks for the kind words.

I do reckon that I am mellowing in life nowadays, funny really , but I can now laugh at my own stupidity and others arrogance, knowing full well they will come around to my way of thinking in time. They are just making the stupid mistakes that I made earlier.

Nice to stand back and look at The English at Hodnet and think 'Wow ' what a pleasure to have been a part of it.

Message for Darkside , I really enjoyed the Scottish contingents, input and company.

I have received a very nice comment from a Mr Clark of Fife , who I don't know but obviously met at Hodnet .

Sian , I remember you shooting stand 12 , but thought it wise not to comment. :angel:
Was it the Simo left to right I think I only got a couple of one of the birds just could work out the other.  You should have said hello and why wasn't it wise to comment.  I'm usually very well behaved unless you happen to be married to me ?

Sian,

Yes, it was.
Those losses just joined the rest in my "box".   Was I talking to myself on your stand ? I know I came off there saying in the box as I did on all but one stand I happened to get all of them.  

Back