Take care of your gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

It has been a bad week for gun mishaps ( or neglect ) this week . Last Sunday I watched a chap split his stock into two pieces by placing the barrels on the rubber pad on the floor and stand leaning on the butt stock with the action open al la Trapista. 'Crack'.  Two piece Perazzi stock.

Saturday another guy blows the end of the barrels apart. Why? "Oh I never take my chokes out to clean them, haven't been out for years ." Cause of barrel rupture? Loose choke tube, gas pressure and possibly pellets driven up behind thinwall choke tubes. New Barrels or new gun ? Barrels are probably dearer than a S/H gun.

Then today a chap finds out that poor muzzle awareness and steel safety cages do not mix. " How much are DT10 Barrels?"

A little time and a little care can save a considerable amount of money.

we have all seen it , and there by the grace of god go I

Yes, multichokes can be such a good thing, but if neglected they do have a habit of biting you in the pocket. Make sure they are fully seated when you fit them, a little more than finger tight is good, and check them constantly whilst shooting, in case they are coming loose by a turn or two.

When they are seized in, DO NOT stand your barrels in a tin of Coke.

Lubricate your chokes, threads and sleeves before fitting, and keep them clean. Teague flushfits  are a bugger to get out if seized in.

If you do have a seized in choke, you could try the following.

Plug the end of the barrel with a cork, stand barrels upright and pour in release fluid such as Plus Gas, Diesel oil, Paraffin etc.,  and leave for a day or two. Remove corks and drain off fluid, place barrels vertical in a WELL padded vice and using a well fitting choke key try and turn the choke out.

If it fails, take a large bolt or piece of metal slightly smaller than the choke bore and heat up until very hot and place into choke tube to warm up choke and barrel ( not so hot as to melt your soldered rib) a few heat cycles will usually free a reluctant choke. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice. Personally i do not like multi but then again i don't need em being a trappy. The broken stock scenario is a new one on me though.

It always baffles me when some folk boast about never cleaning their gun...I know its a 'tool' and all that and I'm probably 'anal' and too far the other way so somewhere in the middle s probably god.

Having said that when I've shelled out several £000's on something I want to take good care of it and keep it in good nick. I also think (again probably me being anal) that if I go to a shoot with a clean gun its one less thing at the back of my mind.

Once you've got into a cleaning routine it doesnt take long, I do it as soon as I get back from a shoot and it takes about 20 minutes tops, so no excuse not to really.

I'm one of those non fastidious types but wouldn't say I never clean the gun just not every time simply because guns just don't need it. My chokes never get stuck because I not only unscrew and use the odd different one now and then they always get oiled. There is a difference between abuse and sensible care.

On the subject of looking after your gun.

One of the things that makes me really cringe  :fie:  is people that carry their gun slips up the wrong way.

I mentioned it politely to a guy once at the ground and he thanked me as he never knew about it.

He came back in the clubhouse about 40 minutes later with tears in his eyes saying "Why the F**k didn't I listen" ?

The nylon zip had only gone and split open as they often do dropping his stunning Browning B2G on the road snapping the stock clean in two.

Well! what could I say really ? 

What was actually going through my mind was... :haha:   I told you so.

Last edited by a moderator:
It always baffles me when some folk boast about never cleaning their gun...I know its a 'tool' and all that and I'm probably 'anal' and too far the other way so somewhere in the middle s probably god.

Having said that when I've shelled out several £000's on something I want to take good care of it and keep it in good nick. I also think (again probably me being anal) that if I go to a shoot with a clean gun its one less thing at the back of my mind.

Once you've got into a cleaning routine it doesnt take long, I do it as soon as I get back from a shoot and it takes about 20 minutes tops, so no excuse not to really.
With you on that one.

I'm not into changing chokes during a shoot as I'm really new to this, but have a friend that had a seized choke ( flush Teague) and it cost them quite a few quid to get it sorted. So they come out, get cleaned and re greased after every shoot.

A friend told me recently that I MUST remove, clean, grease and replace my Teague chokes  after every shoot.

All I do currently is clean/grease them every 2 -  3 times I use the gun and make sure they are always screwed in hand tight.....

Am I taking chances?? I've never had one that was hard to remove.

A friend told me recently that I MUST remove, clean, grease and replace my Teague chokes  after every shoot.

All I do currently is clean/grease them every 2 -  3 times I use the gun and make sure they are always screwed in hand tight.....

Am I taking chances?? I've never had one that was hard to remove.
I fit Beretta chokes cleaned and oiled. I remove them about every 1000 cartridges, which is about twice a year (my wife's gun). They have always come out as easily as they went in..

yeah I learnt the hard way! In a rush I placed my gun in its slip, resting barrels down!

Came back 10 minutes later to it on the floor and a lovely crack right through the grip of the stock!  :(

Gone from a lovely looking grade 3 wood, to a grade 1 wood! Oh well its a lesson learnt for me!!

yeah I learnt the hard way! In a rush I placed my gun in its slip, resting barrels down!

Came back 10 minutes later to it on the floor and a lovely crack right through the grip of the stock!  :(

Gone from a lovely looking grade 3 wood, to a grade 1 wood! Oh well its a lesson learnt for me!!
Not sure I understand? Barrels pointing down is correct so did someone stand on it while it was on the floor??

DT

I have always stored my gun with the stock resting on the floor! (except this one time where it fell and cracked the stock)

Not sure I understand? Barrels pointing down is correct so did someone stand on it while it was on the floor??

DT
In a gun stand..barrels down is a no no no...!

Always barrels up in a stand.....true story..! Sleeved or not...just saying..!

Good advice. Personally i do not like multi but then again i don't need em being a trappy. The broken stock scenario is a new one on me though.
Me too...was he very very fat???

:laugh:

P.s. I only clean gun when wet...because I shoot clean Fiocchi cartridges. Because I love it....it gets a fluffy rodding occasionally.

Me too...was he very very fat???

:laugh:

P.s. I only clean gun when wet...because I shoot clean Fiocchi cartridges. Because I love it....it gets a fluffy rodding occasionally.
exactly the same for me nic full length fluffy thing after every shoot and a tooth brush in corners of action and wipe down with oily cloth 2 mins job done. Every 3 months or so ejectors out look at clean slot and replace hoping skin remains on thumb and ejector doesn't fly back into my eye :)

ps. I have lent on my stock Alla trappy for 30 years and prob 15 guns and never broke one but then again my body is a temple so yes nic the bloke salopian refers to must indeed have been a porker :)

exactly the same for me nic full length fluffy thing after every shoot and a tooth brush in corners of action and wipe down with oily cloth 2 mins job done. Every 3 months or so ejectors out look at clean slot and replace hoping skin remains on thumb and ejector doesn't fly back into my eye :)

ps. I have lent on my stock Alla trappy for 30 years and prob 15 guns and never broke one but then again my body is a temple so yes nic the bloke salopian refers to must indeed have been a porker :)
Well......I class myself as very fat.....my body 'was' a temple......and I often lean on my gun when waiting to shoot, whether stock up or stock down....and always gun broken position....!

Never broken a stock this way so think that 'said chappy' already had a crack. :wink:

Long live trappiiiiisssttaaaaas :laugh:

Latest posts

Back