Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gatton today - first reg for a good while. 86. Have made a few tweaks to the gun but still have a custom stock to follow shortly. Nice to see a familiar face @Will Hewland - hope you got some rest bud! 

Got Dora back from gunsmith so took her off to Garlands  and was going to do Kegworth but flooded so went to Longridge taking a scenic route (unintended).   Shot around my average but knew it will take me a few goes to feel right again after Lola.  3 hrs driving home 😞 just kept telling myself if Martin can do it so can I.  

So how was it. ??
It was a firm shoot, considering it’s his first time setting up a shoot, I’d give him 7.5 out of ten. There was nothing exceptional, a few background eyesight testers, but nothing that can’t be changed.

I hope John sets up the next one in December, I’ll definitely be there.

A stiff but really enjoyable round at sporting targets on Sunday. Only one gimme stand out of 13. On the other 12 if you hit 7 ex 8 you had still shot well. I hit 81 and would have been just in the money in A if I had gone comp. 

Gatton today - first reg for a good while. 86. Have made a few tweaks to the gun but still have a custom stock to follow shortly. Nice to see a familiar face @Will Hewland - hope you got some rest bud! 
Yes 2 hours sleep is hardly the way to prepare for a shoot. Sunday wasn’t good. Did Owls STR today after a good nights sleep, rather better. Have cancelled the guide dog I ordered on Sunday night. 

Sporting Targets today for a couple of hours with Ed Solomons.

I had taken quite a dip in ‘form’ last couple of times out. Barrels not pointing where I expected them to be, erratic behaviour and loss of confidence despite hitting some difficult targets. 

I knew that much of what I had been hitting was too much down to “instinctive” (chance) shooting, but couldn’t find  a way to think things through that didn’t result in missing. The more I tried to think about it, the more I missed.

I worked almost exclusively on chondel (nemesis). Ed sorted out some basic mistakes (putting too much weight forward) and went through how to read a target, how to develop a pre-shot routine, using landmarks for kill point, hold point and he corrected my visual pick up (too early) and taught me how to ‘soft focus’ (game changer). He got me moving the gun more consistently and smoothly. Result, a big lift in confidence, more consistent gun movement and bona fuse pre-shot routine  

Ed is an absolute gent. Gave me extra time to debrief at the end. A very worthwhile exercise and money well spent. I would highly recommend him. 

I’m hoping to put what I was taught into practice over the coming weeks and looking forward to my next session with Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Sporting Targets today for a couple of hours with Ed Solomons.

I had taken quite a dip in ‘form’ last couple of times out. Barrels not pointing where I expected them to be, erratic behaviour and loss of confidence despite hitting some difficult targets. 

I knew that much of what I had been hitting was too much down to “instinctive” (chance) shooting, but couldn’t find  a way to think things through that didn’t result in missing. The more I tried to think about it, the more I missed.

I worked almost exclusively on chondel (nemesis). Ed sorted out some basic mistakes (putting too much weight forward) and went through how to read a target, how to develop a pre-shot routine, using landmarks for kill point, hold point and he corrected my visual pick up (too early) and taught me how to ‘soft focus’ (game changer). He got me moving the gun more consistently and smoothly. Result, a big lift in confidence, more consistent gun movement and bona fuse pre-shot routine  

Ed is an absolute gent. Gave me extra time to debrief at the end. A very worthwhile exercise and money well spent. I would highly recommend him. 

I’m hoping to put what I was taught into practice over the coming weeks and looking forward to my next session with Ed
He is a star, but don't tell him I said that as he'll get big headed.  Last time I saw him he identified that I was getting lazy with hold points and having the gun too far out (too close to kill point).  Meant I was rushing the shot and having to push a bit too hard to get the lead needed.  I was still hitting targets, but not consistently.  Next couple of shoots out saw half a dozen extra points on the card and I've ended up generally with slightly higher score over the last 6 months.   Average up 2% at the end of the cut off period as a result.

Well I till haven’t been out shooting since 27th October. Knee rehab is progressing though so I’m hopeful I’ll be up to limping around for the Ian Coley shoot on 14th December!

In the mean time I’ve found that if you’re very specific with the number of grounds shot and total adjusted targets, I was the best B class shooter in the country for issue 56 😂

Now in A so looking forward to the challenge!

EE6ECE02-5799-42DF-BA65-F21D885CBA66.png

Well I till haven’t been out shooting since 27th October. Knee rehab is progressing though so I’m hopeful I’ll be up to limping around for the Ian Coley shoot on 14th December!

In the mean time I’ve found that if you’re very specific with the number of grounds shot and total adjusted targets, I was the best B class shooter in the country for issue 56 😂

Now in A so looking forward to the challenge!

View attachment 7974
I love playing with that button.  I can pull myself up as the only shooter on the page 😂 regardless of class or category.  Such fun.

Southdown today back on it with Dora and seems I am remembering how to shoot her a lot quicker this time after using Lola which makes me so happy.   Sportrap first and it was a good round for me scoring 89/100 and truly the ones I missed just make me laugh.  Sim pairs no problem at all but miss a couple of on report pairs completely or one bird from the pair or the single bird miss with two shots at it!!  I won ladies and equalled first in my class.   Stopped for a fry up and then went on to sporting.  The light faded quickly today and it was spitting rain but managed an 81.  For those that shot it Stands 6 and 10 missed 4 on each but did well on the rest.  Good to see a few out and about today.

Started my winter training yesterday; couple of hours at Sporting Targets with Mr Solomons, luckily I can still hit them and just a couple of minor things that need working on.

Will start back on the comps Feb time when the chicken shooting has finished but try to get some clays in every 2-3 weeks.

Orston today. Not the hardest of rounds but still enjoyable 13 stands. 95 high by an A class shooter. I hit 87. The only bad thing was someone having their gun stolen.

Orston today. Not the hardest of rounds but still enjoyable 13 stands. 95 high by an A class shooter. I hit 87. The only bad thing was someone having their gun stolen.
Saw this on F/B a Beretta 692 went missing, let’s hope it gets returned quickly, but a reminder to all don’t leave guns unattended even at clay grounds 

Bad for them. They prob just lost their licence  And maybe will get prosecuted too. Leaving it in a gun rack while you get a cuppa ( from their FB page ) is just not an option these days. And their only concern seems to be that they've got an important comp next week so they want their gun back. Please. 🙄

And we really wonder why we keep having to fight against tighter gun laws.

Please folks look after your kit and all of our licenses. 

Thanks.

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad for them. They prob just lost their licence  And maybe will get prosecuted too. Leaving it in a gun rack while you get a cuppa ( from their FB page ) is just not an option these days. And his only concern seems to be that he got an important comp next week so he wants his gun back. Please. 🙄

And we really wonder why we keep having to fight against tighter gun laws. 

Jasper. 
Hmm. Couple of things here - firstly I feel a degree of empathy is in order for the person who has been a victim of theft, I'm sure we would all be absolutely gutted if this happened to us.

Secondly it's a female (not a he) and their comp is in reference to a Nottingham University competition coming up (of which her FB also states she is President for the Uni shooting team - therefore a great deal of importance to this person can be assumed). Again makes me feel pretty bad for them.

Now, in terms of safety and overall gun control you are absolutely right and I agree we need to be more diligent. At the same time this University student has followed the ground rules (or lack of - matter of perspective I guess) so should not be judged so harshly in my opinion. The logical thing to call out here would be a mandated ruleset to say guns are secured in vehicles or similar when not in use. But really how many guns do you see 'racked' at every single registered stand - loads! So we would be some way off of that. 

As an aside, two guns went missing a couple of years ago at a club local to me. The owner had left them in the back seat of his Mercedes in plain view whilst off having a bacon sandwich a fair distance away. This is a straightforward example of idiocy as opposed to the above. 

To me this is what's known as natural selection.  Do something stupid and face the consequences.

Unattended gun.

Same as leaving your keys in your car. DOH. Empathy where it's due. Not here I'm afraid. 

Try leaving your Ferrari keys hanging on your key hook in the hallway. When it gets nicked it's a double whammy. 

1. You've been an ass for  leaving your keys there unattended. 

2. Your not insured  because you were an ass. 

But that's it. Everyone thinks your an ass . End of. 

With guns it's slightly more significant because 

1. You may have put a a gun in the hands of a criminal. 

2.All legal gun owners are judged on this. 

So now we are all asses.

Remember this when they give you your cheque for your guns when they are banned. 

Thanks. 

Jasper. 

A bit more on the subject of gun security. I heard on the grapevine that police were checking cars at shooting grounds to make sure they were locked and any guns inside were  not in plain sight. So I think they will take a very dim view of an unattended gun in a rack .

Jasper.

After 2.5 months of no shooting I managed a trip to Horne last Sunday and wasn't as rusty as I had expected, so was happy to come away with a 75. Went to 4C's yesterday and was late due to only 1 lane running on the M4 but it was actually the quietest I have ever seen it. Literally had 2-3 people on a few stands and the rest I walked straight onto. It was one of their more forgiving courses and I managed to hit everything except the midi from the sim pair on stand 8. No idea where I was on that target. Was going fairly well but dropping 6 over stands 10 and 11 put a dent in my score so ended on 80 but was happy enough with that. Hoping to hit AGL on Friday so may see some of you there.

As for the gun theft issue - it definitely makes you think. Sure I would not leave mine in a rack but how many of us put our slip down whilst queueing at a stand and then see a friend, have a chat and dont look back for a few mins? Unless you keep it on your shoulder from start to finish then there is always a chance some scrote can steal it.

Back