Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I shot while standing in a wind tunnel while somebody pointed a pressure washer at me. Actually come to think of it, I was at College Farm too. It didn’t go well. 
We shot at 12, it was cold enough for me to wear a coat between stands, much longer than the 1.40 hours to shoot it and did feel that fingers would have been numb, the squad following bus would have had both the cold and fading light to contend with. Wet n Windy not fun, and todays shoots in much the same weather both here & EJC are for hardier souls than I

I know it’s not sporting but......I shot a 150 target all round competition today at erriswel lodge  and was over the moon with my efforts in rubbish weather 😁 I shot 103/150 which when I left was good enough for third in c class (with a day left to shoot) happy to be amongst it even if it only lasts the day 🤣😂

We were going to go to Dartford today, but OH unexpectedly got a buyer for his old car yesterday afternoon which put the kibosh on plans to all cram into one car.  As we had to take two we decided to stay closer and shot Willow Farm's 100 bird comp again.  I had one poor(ish) stand where I couldn't find a relatively easy right to left (was giving it too much), otherwise did well to finish on 84.  Enough for the ladies prize.

Barrow and Northampton today.  Not on form at all, too cold and windy and at Times although nice to see, the sun was a hindrance at Barrow blinding and making some clays hard to see.

Barrow and Northampton today.  Not on form at all, too cold and windy and at Times although nice to see, the sun was a hindrance at Barrow blinding and making some clays hard to see.
I shot Northampton another good round which kicked my arse ended up with 75. Bringing my run of 80s to an end.

Following this recent theme I went to Sporting Targets today. I scared a few clays but most of them escaped unharmed 🙄

Did Coleys on sat. 3 sun affected stands. Apparently the course setter  wasn't expecting to see any sun.

So that's ok then🤔

Anyhow the rest of it was good. It's a lovely place to shoot and once again I had fun with good company. 

Thanks also must go to the refs etc. It was freezing up there. 

Jasper. 

Reactions: Zea
Went to AGL this afternoon although I hadn’t planned to but Tony got off work at lunch so I met him there.  It didn’t rain but it got dark quite quickly.  Enjoyed the round although two lots of driven got me ☹️ And some silly misses.  Finished on 81.

Went to AGL this afternoon although I hadn’t planned to but Tony got off work at lunch so I met him there.  It didn’t rain but it got dark quite quickly.  Enjoyed the round although two lots of driven got me ☹️ And some silly misses.  Finished on 81.
A nice varied course, not too tough mostly. Happy to straight stand 4 in the Grouse. And the twin teals which means I’ve got my stock position about right. I think they had realised last month was a bit nasty in places and sorted it. Should have been a massive score but missed some obvious stuff. Enjoyable!

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice varied course, not too tough mostly. Happy to straight stand 4 in the Grouse. And the twin teals which means I’ve got my stock position about right. I think they had realised last month was a bit nasty in places and sorted it. Should have been a massive score but missed some obvious stuff. Enjoyable!
Work Christmas do yesterday so I had to miss it.  I didn't think last time was that nasty - apart from that daft battue.  Wish I could have gone, have been missing Reg shoots this month.

Westfield today, despite it being so close to home the place beats me up to such a degree that I usually go elsewhere, got to a case of chicken & egg with me not shooting the place because its a bogey but by not shooting it the bogey does not get put to bed. Rocked up later than usual and was joined by Mr & Mrs Thomas (our county chair). We started on st11 went round to St1 shooting St12 last. Did start rather well, wheels duly fell off for four stands on the bounce, the last of which was a pair of report r-ls off a cherry picker, got them completely wrong, ones mojo returned big time and did shoot our last 6 stands as well as, no better than Ive ever shot there, ended in the 70s, yes the few brain farts made me think it could have been 80s but that said Id never have "banked" on shooting as many stands as well as I did, so all in all a very good day.

Martin Myers 98 HG when I left, the chap is awesome.

First Registered comp for me on a few weeks. After delivering so.e turkeys en route, headed to Gatton Bottom for the first time in a while. Same fiddly stuff not needing much lead. Managed to drop one target out of eight on six stands. Finished on 82.

As Tony had to work half day he made Horne for the latter part of the day.    I went off to Southdown on my own.  Had a go on the pool shoot which is Sportrap and just kept forgetting things like sim pair!    Did Sportrap next and again forgetting things like I’m on the sim pair, forgetting which way I should them.  Just one big brain fog.  Enjoyed the targets but definitely not on the ball today.   Did the pool shoot again and then off to Sporting and was glad to be able to shoot with two friends.  Started well, had difficulty with three stands which cost me 13 targets which I shouldn’t really have lost that many on those stands.  Did well on sim teal midi and standard only missing one so that delighted me.  I lost a few to not shooting things as I would normally such as gun down, again just not thinking things through.  74 and 77 respectively.  

My first ever competitive shoot today, an invite to a members only club. 75 sport.

Maybe I should have asked about the rules first but I thought if I watched I'd learn. Generally I'm a quick learner. 

As a new gun I was up to shoot first, so no watchee - learnee!

Stepped into the cage and loaded, wasn't sure if allowed to mount first or not so just closed the gun and said pull. I heard an immediate comment of smart ass.

I was also expecting a pair on report, so was caught out after clipping the first when I realised it was a pair together and missed the fast departing second bird. Oh well, reload, close gun, pull. Smashed first, missed second. Load, close, pull, smashed both. Next two pairs same.

When I stepped back, I was discreetly told it's not unsporting to ask to see a pair first, and if I did that again (not asking) it was considered big headed. Well bloody hell, try telling me or let me watch an experienced gun first. I'm used to pay and play, every time a button is pressed you pay, scan the sky and fire ..

After that, man did I hear some excuses, wind in the eye, midges in front of barrel, clay coming out at wrong angle, unexpected flight and so on. Apparently all reasons for shooting again.

Unusual for me as I don't consider myself a good shot, I cleared all the stands till the last, Mr Scarcastic commenting doesn't he ever miss. I took the pairs the wrong way round according to some, but I thought the idea was break them whichever way it suited you?

Last stand, very fast pair but the first easier if you hit it quick before it turned into the tree line. Second low fast and a split second before it was invisible to me. Hit, miss, hit, miss, hit next three pairs.

I enjoyed the shooting but not the competition or the back biting cliques. Its not for me. Maybe it's because it's a members only club.

Finished on 71/75. Don't think I'll be invited again, it's not done to hit more than Mr Scarcastic and his clique.

I hate to think what they would have said if they knew I was using a  mix of 21gram and 24 because I thought it was a 50 bird and only took 50 plus a spare box of 21g just in case. 

Every dog has its day, and I must admit I was curious to see what I was like against others. I always shoot with my son and friends and we never bother scoring. My son is a far superior shot to me so I'd have loved to see him to shoot today.

My first ever competitive shoot today, an invite to a members only club. 75 sport.

Maybe I should have asked about the rules first but I thought if I watched I'd learn. Generally I'm a quick learner. 

As a new gun I was up to shoot first, so no watchee - learnee!

Stepped into the cage and loaded, wasn't sure if allowed to mount first or not so just closed the gun and said pull. I heard an immediate comment of smart ass.

I was also expecting a pair on report, so was caught out after clipping the first when I realised it was a pair together and missed the fast departing second bird. Oh well, reload, close gun, pull. Smashed first, missed second. Load, close, pull, smashed both. Next two pairs same.

When I stepped back, I was discreetly told it's not unsporting to ask to see a pair first, and if I did that again (not asking) it was considered big headed. Well bloody hell, try telling me or let me watch an experienced gun first. I'm used to pay and play, every time a button is pressed you pay, scan the sky and fire ..

After that, man did I hear some excuses, wind in the eye, midges in front of barrel, clay coming out at wrong angle, unexpected flight and so on. Apparently all reasons for shooting again.

Unusual for me as I don't consider myself a good shot, I cleared all the stands till the last, Mr Scarcastic commenting doesn't he ever miss. I took the pairs the wrong way round according to some, but I thought the idea was break them whichever way it suited you?

Last stand, very fast pair but the first easier if you hit it quick before it turned into the tree line. Second low fast and a split second before it was invisible to me. Hit, miss, hit, miss, hit next three pairs.

I enjoyed the shooting but not the competition or the back biting cliques. Its not for me. Maybe it's because it's a members only club.

Finished on 71/75. Don't think I'll be invited again, it's not done to hit more than Mr Scarcastic and his clique.

I hate to think what they would have said if they knew I was using a  mix of 21gram and 24 because I thought it was a 50 bird and only took 50 plus a spare box of 21g just in case. 

Every dog has its day, and I must admit I was curious to see what I was like against others. I always shoot with my son and friends and we never bother scoring. My son is a far superior shot to me so I'd have loved to see him to shoot today.
Please don’t give up on competition because of this experience.  If you had been at any other ground that I can think of and I’ve shot many and you had said you were new to competition someone would have taken you with them and  let you go after everyone else to give you a good idea of how everyone else dealt with the presentations.  Most competition shooters even the very best are usually very accommodating to a new shooter.  Sometimes when you are the big fish on a very small pond you have an overinflated take on your ability.   You might find if the tw*t you experienced actually shot anywhere else he’s be a fish out of water.   Keep going.

Please don’t give up on competition because of this experience.  If you had been at any other ground that I can think of and I’ve shot many and you had said you were new to competition someone would have taken you with them and  let you go after everyone else to give you a good idea of how everyone else dealt with the presentations.  Most competition shooters even the very best are usually very accommodating to a new shooter.  Sometimes when you are the big fish on a very small pond you have an overinflated take on your ability.   You might find if the tw*t you experienced actually shot anywhere else he’s be a fish out of water.   Keep going.
This.

Do try a registered shoot, as Sian says there are a great many people in this shooting world that are more than willing to be helpful.

Centrepin . I'm afraid you have encountered the guy who thinks he's a world champion , but has never been off his local shoot.

And with good reason. Because he will be found out as an average , at best , shot.

Big fish , small pond.

It happens all the time. And I' m delighted you gave him a lesson. 😉.

Go shoot a registered shoot. Tell them when you book on that you are new to it . You will most likely be able to tag along with someone. I think you will have a much better experience with proper competition shooters. Not the local wannabe. 

Jasper.

When I told my RFD where I was shooting, now I understand the comment he made "You'll learn a lot about shooting there". 

I didn't find the shoot particularly hard, but not easy either. Certainly within my current ability. Thinking back there was nothing that was a real challenge and at my stage I expected to be severely challenged, so I guess that speaks volumes.

My local shoot does a non competitive 50 bird on Sundays that has me working harder.

Methinks I just picked the wrong place.

Old Glossop clays runs a 100 bird registered every few weeks which is not far away. Perhaps that should be my next step.

Back