Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit chuffed with my shooting today having stepped off the plane and barely slung the suitcases indoors 🤣 I rushed over to fetch my gun from the local rfd and onto JBD Sportings fundraiser held on virgin ground in aid of the East Kent and West Street Hunt, an Open 100 birder had our group pleasantly surprised with reg quality stuff with plenty of good distance battues, loopers and crossers. 

Made a few silly mistakes but held steady on some decent stands to card 91 which turned out to be one of only two scores past 90 with Jamie Atwood shooting a superb 95 for HG.

Well I enjoyed my shoots Four Counties and Westfield.  I thought I was shooting well at four Counties apart from one really bad stand which could be seen as an easier one where I scored 2/8.  I simply couldn’t see the two orange targets well enough.   My score though suggests otherwise 😂.   On to Westfield again very enjoyable, had a go on the pool shoot first which again was very good.  One stand just completely ruined me a close in green  and a low quartering White where I scored 2/10 again I just couldn’t pick them up.  Happy though with my teal and driven, nothing wrong with those today.

No shooting last weekend as I was away for the weekend. This weekend coming I've decided to try something completely new, Helice. 

I'm excited to try it, but not excited to spend all day shooting 25 targets! I'm hoping that we'll be able to get away in time to make last card at Honesberie!

Popped down OLSS for the last sportrap squad. Lovely weather and cracking squad even if we were 1 light and I was in stand 4. Managed a 24 on the first layout but missed some silly birds including a gimme single that I forgot to even use 2nd barrel. Ended up on 89 which was good enough for joint 2nd in B class - shame I went birds only.

Went to Willow Farm with a friend today, unsurprisingly it was full of Greenfields shooters who had decided against shooting practice only birds there 😐 , really enjoyed it as it was a nice balanced round with half the stands straightable to medium hard and the rest needing a bit more respect and knowledge, not unhappy with my 88 which wasn't miles off HG, will be more than happy to shoot similar quality birds there again. 

Also Willow Farm. Was going to have a day off, but as it looked like we'd stay dry we decided to go local. As Hamid says, some good targets particularly on stands 8 to 11. Very pleased not to have got less than 6 on any of those and to only have dropped 2 on stand 11.

Mucked up two of the softer stands near the start. Finished on 76, which is OK but should have been 5 or 6 more really.

Shot Garlands today. Really enjoyed the course, the only problem was there were probably 200 or so shooting so queues of 30mins on some stands, took nearly 4 hours to get round.

I thought the shoot itself was really good, some testing targets and plenty of variety.

Ended up on 87-HG was 95 when I left. Dropped 6 on my last two stands (4&6), lost concentration after 4 hours in the rain but otherwise not too shabby. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Garlands today for the Intercountys as Gloucestershire captain.  Started horrifically by dropping 3 on first stand (stand 1) simo L-R pair  20 yards  away ..then dug in and ground out a solid 89 which im happy with!

[SIZE=12pt]Some more tuition at sporting Targets for me last Friday. As a novice it was quite an encouraging hour with my instructor, John, shooting my 301st - 400th clay. Working mainly on chandelle and a few other more challenging targets. These were some of the fastest and farthest out (80yds) that I’ve tried so far. Quite happy to go home with approximately 50% hit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Looking forward to shooting at Kelbrook with my son in a couple of weeks time[/SIZE]

No shooting last weekend as I was away for the weekend. This weekend coming I've decided to try something completely new, Helice. 

I'm excited to try it, but not excited to spend all day shooting 25 targets! I'm hoping that we'll be able to get away in time to make last card at Honesberie!

Well, I shan't be dabbling with Helice again 😂

Very enjoyable but completely against everything I do in sporting so I really struggled! Krieghoff Masters next weekend will be more enjoyable I'm sure! 

Also Willow Farm. Was going to have a day off, but as it looked like we'd stay dry we decided to go local. As Hamid says, some good targets particularly on stands 8 to 11. Very pleased not to have got less than 6 on any of those and to only have dropped 2 on stand 11.

Mucked up two of the softer stands near the start. Finished on 76, which is OK but should have been 5 or 6 more really.
Well shot! Ended up on another hospital visit so could not go. See you next time I am darn sarf again 

Last edited by a moderator:

Very enjoyable but completely against everything I do in sporting so I really struggled! Krieghoff Masters next weekend will be more enjoyable I'm sure! 
Never seen Helice, what’s so different about it Doug?

So how much is it to shoot Doug?  How long does it take tomshoot 25 targets?

Never seen Helice, what’s so different about it Doug?
The targets, literally, have wings so scream off in any direction and change flight path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_B_s71u4c

So how much is it to shoot Doug?  How long does it take tomshoot 25 targets?
It was £53 for birds only entry, and 6 practice birds. That was at Rugby.

We started shooting at 10:45 and were finished by about 3. You shoot 6 targets then break, and repeat x 4. Defo go give it a go! So different to other games but you do have to give up a Sunday to do it.

The targets, literally, have wings so scream off in any direction and change flight path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_B_s71u4c

It was £53 for birds only entry, and 6 practice birds. That was at Rugby.

We started shooting at 10:45 and were finished by about 3. You shoot 6 targets then break, and repeat x 4. Defo go give it a go! So different to other games but you do have to give up a Sunday to do it.
Thanks for that.  Not giving up a Sunday 😂  One day I will wait for a have a go somewhere and just shoot a few.

Oxfordshire today, weather stayed decent as did drive through some heavy rain on way, smallish ground and the shoot is ten stands of ten which is 😊 when one gets it right 😐 when one gets it so-so and most usually 😖 if it goes pear shaped, had a few of all three. A challenging mix of targets, they are liking to show full and edge on clays in equal measure so always 50% on offer every pair. Shot with a young lady who works at Oxford Gun Co she had a very cheery outlook which was infectious and I found myself smiling through my odd horror stand. All told a rather pleasant day out. Think HG was 92, 

My pleasant day somewhat clipped by a 4hour stoppage ridden drive up to Manchester, a works placement that knocked going to Owls tomorrow into touch😞

Thanks for that.  Not giving up a Sunday 😂  One day I will wait for a have a go somewhere and just shoot a few.
You can probably turn up and just shoot practice birds when they've got a registered on. I think it's £1.20 per practice target! Easy enough to tie in to a  registered up that way

It's gone a bit quiet of late!

I shot the Krieghoff Masters at Westfield on Sunday. Rude reminder of what it's like to shoot in multiple layers and face wind and rain 😑

Blue course: 61/80. Red course: 54/80. Ended on 115/160, certainly not my best shooting but it was a good shoot! Will be booking on again next year.

Today is the last day of the Ian Coleys series so likely to see the normal friendly faces. Good luck to those who win the series today, it's had some highs and lows this year but I'll be sure to book back on for next year. I think I'm out of the running this year as had some bad days early on.

Coleys for me today, thankfully it was a dry day. The shoot was up to coleys normal standard with only two stands that could trip you up. First was a quartering rabbit o/r RtL looper both were tricky the rabbit was quick and needed a little lead , looper needed to be shot quickly

Stand 7 had a humongous right to left crosser of the tower, tbh it looked like a mini but was in fact a standard.... missed some silly ones and had trigger freeze on one stand.

Overall the series was better than good, even the shoot that mark Marshall put on... tbh I thought that was one of the best I’ve shot in years... 

Enjoyed meeting up with many people and always had a laugh with the other squad members. Roll on next year’s series

Back