Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I’ll probably get another message from Barbury justifying themselves for saying this.. but a wide appeal shoot just doesn’t need to be really tough. It’s course setter ego beating common sense business plan. 

You’re not shown on their results page Dan. BO?
Every bird was visible, hittable and the shoot ran like clock work. Yes, it was on the firm side but you need that every now and then to avoid complacency. I shoot Sportrap once a year at Barbury so I have an expectation of the day based on past experience. There’s a reason I do go back each year...it’s not for an ego boost 😁

I know I’ll probably get another message from Barbury justifying themselves for saying this.. but a wide appeal shoot just doesn’t need to be really tough. It’s course setter ego beating common sense business plan. 

You’re not shown on their results page Dan. BO?
Will, 

I’ll be the first to admit that the shoot today shot a little harder than we intended. Not everyone gets it right all time! 

As for “common sense business plan” - I Don’t think we are struggling for entries? Our “course setter ego” must’ve beaten you 🤔

Josh 

Will, 

I’ll be the first to admit that the shoot today shot a little harder than we intended. Not everyone gets it right all time! 

As for “common sense business plan” - I Don’t think we are struggling for entries? Our “course setter ego” must’ve beaten you 🤔

Josh 
Customers are allowed opinions Josh. Lose that idea and you’re running a hobby not a business. But congrats if you’re filling it. You and Huw are great shots, but a shoot needs wide appeal at a level below your abilities I would say. I still think if you took an exit poll today you might have had fewer happy customers than you would have liked, looking at the scores?

To be fair, my score wasn’t good but comparable to some peers.  When I think about it I got some really tricky sim pairs (I know this from the encouraging noises Julian Morris was making when I managed it) and missed ones like the teal on the last layout which wasn’t a going away one. Josh it’s fine we all think we’re better than we are 😂.  You carry on 👌

Off for some overdue coaching at College Farm today - never been there before so looking forward to it on multiple counts. 

Shot at coleys today. And it was a cracking shoot. Targets were wind affected, but hey ho everyone suffered the same. I started well so much so that my fellow squad members were calling for a drugs test..... Eventually finished on a 79 the bunny on stand 11 and the long looper off the tower on stand 12 put paid to my momentary spark of genius.

Shot at coleys today. And it was a cracking shoot. Targets were wind affected, but hey ho everyone suffered the same. I started well so much so that my fellow squad members were calling for a drugs test..... Eventually finished on a 79 the bunny on stand 11 and the long looper off the tower on stand 12 put paid to my momentary spark of genius.
Coleys also, rather glad I wore a fleece between stands as despite the very sunny periods it did feel chilly, well to this old chap it did. We started on st3, watching the rest of a very talented squad make light work of the stand did gee one up, oh lots of errors and got deceived by quite a few, was rather pleased to find 3/5 of the st12 l-r loopers in question and generally got things right.

HG was a three way affair Julian Morris, Huw Stephens & Nick Portlock all on 96.

Last months shoot did take its toll on the entry, in August it was 92 all told, today 70 hardy reg entries, October is the last, summer gone.

96 high gun, that’s awesome shooting, I missed last months shoot but as you said Rich, it did seem quiet there.

October already.... where’s the year gone !!!!

I shot John Dyson’s event at Hepworth hall today, reg 120esp, I shot above my average and a personal best of 63, As you can probably imagine I’m over the moon with that result. I also checked the scoreboard and found that I wasn’t last in class or category so again over the moon. I think it was the boost I needed and feeling good about more progression and learning. 😁

Just got back from EJC.  Bit different today, fewer rangey targets. Managed to muck up what looked to be a simple dropping target, but other than that was fairly consistent. Finished on 81.

I shot John Dyson’s event at Hepworth hall today, reg 120esp, I shot above my average and a personal best of 63, As you can probably imagine I’m over the moon with that result. I also checked the scoreboard and found that I wasn’t last in class or category so again over the moon. I think it was the boost I needed and feeling good about more progression and learning. 😁
When you shoot any of Dyson’s shoots you will enjoy them. He sets the targets up to be fair for everyone and you get a good variety of targets so even if you have a bogey target it may only be on one stand.  I’ve never come away from his shoots disappointed, even if I’ve shot bad because it’s ME, not the targets!

You should do the Essex Masters, the best shoot of the year, 200 targets over 2 courses of 100.  People normally book up for next year as they are leaving it’s that good.  Best course setter around imo. 

Anyway, well done for your PB, onwards and upwards.  We are going Sunday but doing it twice - morning the normal sporting then in the afternoon with the semi autos! 

Wasn’t going to shoot EJC but did in the end.  No form yet again, getting tedious now.

2nd in Ladies, well done you 👏
Pleased with that as I think its my highest score at an EJC Reg.  I think it was a little bit softer than usual.  I managed to be one away on 5 stands.  A bit more focus and I might even have managed a registered PB.

Kibworth today. Absolutely pelted down for two stands towards the middle, got drenched and to be honest didn't really enjoy it from that point on. Shot poorly, lots of slowing the gun up and not finishing the shot properly. Even had a trigger flinch. Finished on a disappointing 66. Should have been better.

Latest posts

Back