Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously too easy for you as you haven't been near it in this issue.

Classic. 

See you there next week then , see how you do. 

Jasper.
Whoops, pushed a button there. Not sure why.. So you assume the scores I manage at other grounds would be unattainable for me at Gunsite? Unlikely I would suggest, but just wondering..

I don’t do Gunsite. I would like to but it’s a bit of a trek for me, it’s usually very busy and there is always a nearer shoot to me. I don’t mind a “higher scoring” shoot (I will avoid the term “easy” in case that is the button..). I merely remark that Sean Ponting sets Widdington and Gunsite, so I was a bit shocked when a Widdington shoot a while back was so tough. Unfair in places actually. Then the last Widdington scores looked akin to Gunsite.

Hope that clears up whatever got your goat. No offence meant!

I’ve now had a proper look at some Gunsite scores though. Crikey. I wouldn’t take my average seriously if I only shot there. 100 straight HG and 25% of the entry on 90 or more.. anybody who feels that’s a perfect balance needs to get out more. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Richie...a lot of baggers about in B class at the moment.  :eek: :oops: :smile:
Yes B does have some very big sharks with lots of teeth, you of course being one of them!

Whoops, pushed a button there. Not sure why.. So you assume the scores I manage at other grounds would be unattainable for me at Gunsite? Unlikely I would suggest, but just wondering..

I don’t do Gunsite. I would like to but it’s a bit of a trek for me, it’s usually very busy and there is always a nearer shoot to me. I don’t mind a “higher scoring” shoot (I will avoid the term “easy” in case that is the button..). I merely remark that Sean Ponting sets Widdington and Gunsite, so I was a bit shocked when a Widdington shoot a while back was so tough. Unfair in places actually. Then the last Widdington scores looked akin to Gunsite.

I’ve now had a proper look at some Gunsite scores though. Crikey. I wouldn’t take my average seriously if I only shot there. 100 straight HG and 25% of the entry on 90 or more.. anybody who feels that’s a perfect balance needs to get out more. 
The chap that shot the 100 straight, he is only just returning after a very long absence,  am sure he has shot ESP for England, back in the day he took GD very deep into a sudden death shoot off, cannot remember which major it was, he is a very fine, natural shot. 

Yes B does have some very big sharks with lots of teeth, you of course being one of them!

The chap that shot the 100 straight, he is only just returning after a very long absence,  am sure he has shot ESP for England, back in the day he took GD very deep into a sudden death shoot off, cannot remember which major it was, he is a very fine, natural shot. 
Martin Myers, multiple champion includingnlast year,  only did 77 shoots in the last 9 months. His lay off was a Tuesday morning. 😆

Martin Myers, multiple champion includingnlast year,  only did 77 shoots in the last 9 months. His lay off was a Tuesday morning. 😆
Oh not Martin, the Gunsite 100 straight was by John Smith, Oxfordshire chap, was lucky enough to be at Gunsite the day he did it, made everything i saw him shoot look so effortlessly easy almost in slow motion, which of course the clays were anything but, felt sorry for anyone following him, as at times as it must have been lulling one in.

Oh not Martin, the Gunsite 100 straight was by John Smith, Oxfordshire chap, was lucky enough to be at Gunsite the day he did it, made everything i saw him shoot look so effortlessly easy almost in slow motion, which of course the clays were anything but, felt sorry for anyone following him, as at times as it must have been lulling one in.
Sorry Rich. So hard to find which of the straighted Gunsite shoots we are discussing. 🤣🤣

Easy ,hard makes no odds to me. 13+ grounds ,3000 + targets. 85+ average. This issue. Much the same as you but achieved on far far less shooting. And no practice. And much less 💰

It's busy?? ,sort of speaks volumes really. 

Go late if you can get a pass. 🙄

It's  a bit trek for us also. Just saying. 

The "button " is when folk comment on something they know sweet fa about cos they haven't been there . Just score surfing. Which as we know rarely tells the full picture. Simples.

So come down then . You will probably maintain your average or better.

You will also enjoy yourself. Because it's entertaining. Scores look good here because Shaun knows how to set targets. Good honest targets which are shootable by all to some degree. No tricks or stupid colours. This is different to an easy shoot. But you wouldn't know. 🎣

Hope this clears up what got my goat . No offence meant or taken. 

Jasper. 

AGL today. Mixed bag of targets. A sim pair battue and looper was just poor target setting, whilst a battue on report low fast crosser in the grouse butt were just genuinely challenging (was pleased with 5 from 8 on that one). Only other target I really struggled on was the quartering away rabbit. Finished on 77, with four honestly soft targets dropped could easily have been an 80+ day.

Barbury today County Sportrap, with targets they do like to push the envelope here and today wasnt any different, shot course with 3/8th & 8s and they broke every near and far (and very far) target, nowhere near as many as Id like to have done 🙃 I am a bit laboured on l-r targets so that, getting simos “wrong way round” and tbf generally not very good at the need to quick quick shoot stuff was always going to struggle. 

Matty Turk 86 👏 was 7 clear when I left, it was though fully booked and some superstars still to rock, my effort was not in his league, and there were some souls that found it tougher than I

Court Farm. Set a bit tougher than it usually is. That, combined with me shooting a couple of the easier stands poorly, resulted in a piss poor 65.

Court Farm also. Started off badly dropping 5 on Stand 1 with the rabbit in the grass that was more like a mouse. After this just dropped 1 or 2 here and there until the corner of the field where I dropped 16 over 4 stands. Quite a lot of edgy stuff. Luckily I straighted the two gimme / following pair stands (although the way I was shooting there was no such thing as a gimme) to end on a mediocre 70. Not horrendous after almost 4 months since my last ESP REG.

Barbury today County Sportrap, with targets they do like to push the envelope here and today wasnt any different, shot course with 3/8th & 8s and they broke every near and far (and very far) target, nowhere near as many as Id like to have done 🙃 I am a bit laboured on l-r targets so that, getting simos “wrong way round” and tbf generally not very good at the need to quick quick shoot stuff was always going to struggle. 

Matty Turk 86 👏 was 7 clear when I left, it was though fully booked and some superstars still to rock, my effort was not in his league, and there were some souls that found it tougher than I
Thanks Rich, was a pleasure to do the round with you & the team!

Chatsworth Country Fair yesterday, shot the sport trap (11/25).  My first time shooting anything other than Skeet, and I'm still a newbie (shooting 5 months), and I really enjoyed it even shooting as a lone gun the others in the squad were friendly enough :)  

Slowly finding some confidence to try new things.

Also Court Farm for me. Definitely one of their harder ones. Struggled on those incomers that came in from the next county. Certainly ended my decent run of scores of late. 😆 But generally scores were low today, so it will be interesting to see the results.

Also Court Farm for me. Definitely one of their harder ones. Struggled on those incomers that came in from the next county. Certainly ended my decent run of scores of late. 😆 But generally scores were low today, so it will be interesting to see the results.
Stands 10 and 12 incomers were tough.  The orange crosser in the corner was a tough one as well.  Took the front off the last one by giving the gun a hard push.

Edit add : winners are on their website.  HG 90, B won on 73.  That B class winning score is between 10 and 15 off what it is usually won on.  My crappy 65 took ladies (I'm presuming there weren't many entrants).  Definitely set on the tough side.

Awkward wasn't it, I was quite happy with 86

Four counties shot the pool for fun 3 times and then 50 birder shot the first round like a tit with Dora and as it was a 50 birder decided to do it again with Lola because Imhavent shot her in 2 years Andy I think she deserves to come out now and again.  Slight improvement.  On to Barbury where my arse was veritably beaten.   I found it tricky and one or two colour combinations a pain.  On the first layout I found where I wanted to shoot some of them I couldn’t pick them up in the tree line, I obviously take my shot too late.  Good squad though always raises the spirits.

added bonus collected winnings from 4Cs and Barbury and cartridges so little had to be spent on shooting today.

Well, Barbury today. The last two weeks have had me feeling like I’ve no business being at registered shoots. I think there was only one 90 and some top shooters putting in very low scores. Tough old shoot which highlighted my inability to make correct moves to anything big/technical. 

Time to go back to the drawing board and try to work out what’s going wrong...

Well, Barbury today. The last two weeks have had me feeling like I’ve no business being at registered shoots. I think there was only one 90 and some top shooters putting in very low scores. Tough old shoot which highlighted my inability to make correct moves to anything big/technical. 

Time to go back to the drawing board and try to work out what’s going wrong...
I know I’ll probably get another message from Barbury justifying themselves for saying this.. but a wide appeal shoot just doesn’t need to be really tough. It’s course setter ego beating common sense business plan. 

Awkward wasn't it, I was quite happy with 86
You’re not shown on their results page Dan. BO?

Back