Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely road trip day spent with friends who are excellent shots and great company, watched them shoot the Sportrap first at Southdown and we all then shot the sporting which was in the main a really good shoot but for me marred by the silly stand 12 - I was 3 away after stands 1 - 10  B)   but then suffered on stand 11 with the very fast L-R missing all four, my own poor shooting, did similarly badly on 13 missing three of the very rangy battues (kept firing wildly too far in front 😐) - back to 12, it was thoughtless and designed to force misses, making people miss by speed and the fact it was a simmo over head aways, didn't feel tested but mugged, I doubt there'd be more than one straight per 30+ shooters, we didn't see anyone hit more than six and that was a AAA in our group. I wasn't mega disappointed with my score here because unfortunately I only manage to get there about once a year so all the birds looked fresh to me plus I don't think I dropped any gimme's. 

Onto Gatton Bottom which predictably was an entirely different type of shoot, oddly enough stand 12 here too was mickey mouse material but for different reasons, a pathetic away orange repeat bird (really Mr. course designer ? 😞) difficult to see in the dark wooded area but kill point about 18 yards away, mine were dust but hugely capable mates who can hit fancy stuff dropped 2 and 3 respectively through boredom I suspect - 85 followed by 91 means I shot my own average so to speak.

Just one more thing, I love 30 day aged steak, yesterdays "refried" bacon, not so much. Two questions, why do they do it and why do they think we won't notice ? 

Kegworth for us . Promatic challenge. 100 over 14 stands. Found myself seeking out shade, of which there is not much around there. Not usually fussed by heat but today I wilted  a little. Ran out of steam for the last few stands to scrape 84. great variety. Enjoyed it. Mrs Jasper put in another good score on 82. ( B )

Jasper.

Phil and I will be at Southdown so may see you.
Phil said you had food poisoning, hope you are feeling better xxx

Southdown today and I did the driving again.   Very hot and sticky.  A couple of goes to start on the pool shoot and then onto Sportrap which I’m happy to say I did well on.  Felt more like my old self and apart from a couple of adjusted mounts, overall I seemed comfortable.  Joint ladies with a 90 and Greater London Ladies as well.  Then the sporting, joint ladies on 81 just one irritating bush for me 😂

Phil said you had food poisoning, hope you are feeling better xxx

Southdown today and I did the driving again.   Very hot and sticky.  A couple of goes to start on the pool shoot and then onto Sportrap which I’m happy to say I did well on.  Felt more like my old self and apart from a couple of adjusted mounts, overall I seemed comfortable.  Joint ladies with a 90 and Greater London Ladies as well.  Then the sporting, joint ladies on 81 just one irritating bush for me 😂
Well done - thoroughly deserved.  

Food poisoning - who’d have it - not felt so ill in a very long time.  Feeling better now though thank you. 

Owls today for the Sportrap. Holidays, birthdays, weather and other family events meant I haven’t picked my gun up in 3.5 months. Added to which I fell off the loft ladder on sunday so currently nursing some rather large bruises on both arms amongst others. So was nice to just get out in good weather and hit some stuff. Ended up on a 77 which I was happy with that as lost a few not paying attention on previous persons simos and shooting them the wrong way around. Didnt touch the D bird on layout 3 so that was 5 lost on one target.

Sporting Targets this morning having my 4th lesson there. Once again shooting with a rental 28" barrelled Beretta 686 with a 13 1/2" stock fitted with an adjuster (Jones I think).

Last time out with this gun I did ~15/25 gun up and 25/25 gun down and was very happy. This time. . . meh. Came away after 75 clays having hit I think about 1/3rd of them as a guess. I'm not keeping accurate scoring as being a novice I'm more focused and working on the foundation skills..

All the targets this time were closer and slower than the ones I have shot before, a looper having been my nemesis for the day 😕. I was behind, in front variably. Sometimes felt myself lagging behind and other times rushing it. Once again faired better and felt better going at it gun down, though a couple of times I did fluff my mount.

Still, sometimes learning takes a step back before me move forward again, so while a touch disappointed on the whole I'm happy to be learning from my tutor and learning about my interactions with a shotgun.

Also first time wearing a skeet vest. A Musto Pro Competition Skeet Vest I found new/old stock for £45 with a D30 recoil pad. I think Ill remove the pad as I wasn't having issues with recoil anyway It somehow the gun felt a little inert in my shoulder, or that could just be my mind trying to excuse my poor performance :)  

Off to Churchills this afternoon to try out some guns. Hopefully I won't get any worse. 🙄 

I used to love Widdington. I was put off by their shoot where I saw you months ago. Silly brutal stands I thought. Then my mate shot next one and said it was crowded. Maybe next year..
I think You'd have been happy enough on Sunday, I arrived about 10:00am and stand 1 was busy (predictably) so I started on 12 and worked backwards, there were no long queues except on the broken trap stands. Setups went from tricky to "a gift," think stand 1 last time, that hadn't changed, and there were 5 trailing pairs which most would hit, these made up for the odd tricky one. One that nearly defeated me was a fast quartering inward, L to R battue that was diving into the deck by the time it was in the zone, I missed three of four, finally sussing it on the last one.

Looking at results for Westfield yesterday, the course wasn’t brutal but the competition was! 140 entries included 20 AAA and 15 AA. Trying to end up in the money there (as a AA shot) was a very tall ask.. Looks like a rehearsal for the British open. 

Looking at results for Westfield yesterday, the course wasn’t brutal but the competition was! 140 entries included 20 AAA and 15 AA. Trying to end up in the money there (as a AA shot) was a very tall ask.. Looks like a rehearsal for the British open. 
Second in class Will , not too shabby 

I think You'd have been happy enough on Sunday, I arrived about 10:00am and stand 1 was busy (predictably) so I started on 12 and worked backwards, there were no long queues except on the broken trap stands. Setups went from tricky to "a gift," think stand 1 last time, that hadn't changed, and there were 5 trailing pairs which most would hit, these made up for the odd tricky one. One that nearly defeated me was a fast quartering inward, L to R battue that was diving into the deck by the time it was in the zone, I missed three of four, finally sussing it on the last one.
Just seen the scores from Sunday. Quite a difference!! Looks as easy as Gunsite is now..

Oxfordshire today, their second 100 (10 stands of 10) bird shoot and beginning to put stands on “virgin” ground, merry gang of five, none of whom I knew so little chit chat, one was a bit all over the place and as all often feel let a few get away, that said shot well on st4 a distant r-l midi and even further big teal where next highest on squad was a 3/10 inc a county shot, one did though make too many errors, thankfully straighted last stand l-r 1/4ering & l-r incoming both orange & both usually my bogey (and big ones at that) Thought it was a notch up from the usual course, still a most enjoyable morning, bit low entry wise when I left, still time for that to change

Oxfordshire today, their second 100 (10 stands of 10) bird shoot and beginning to put stands on “virgin” ground, merry gang of five, none of whom I knew so little chit chat, one was a bit all over the place and as all often feel let a few get away, that said shot well on st4 a distant r-l midi and even further big teal where next highest on squad was a 3/10 inc a county shot, one did though make too many errors, thankfully straighted last stand l-r 1/4ering & l-r incoming both orange & both usually my bogey (and big ones at that) Thought it was a notch up from the usual course, still a most enjoyable morning, bit low entry wise when I left, still time for that to change
I did want to support this event, but I'm still sat in the office..

Just seen the scores from Sunday. Quite a difference!! Looks as easy as Gunsite is now..
Obviously too easy for you as you haven't been near it in this issue.

Classic. 

See you there next week then , see how you do. 

Jasper.

Latest posts

Back