Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh? They definitely use ordinary individual cards. I’ve seen photos of several from today..
Maybe it was this ref's own improvised system then because it seemed to be some kind of running total malarky which I'd never come across before. When I got home I wrote down my scores per stand while they were still fresh in my mind and I'm still convinced I hit more than 84 ! 

Maybe it was this ref's own improvised system then because it seemed to be some kind of running total malarky which I'd never come across before. When I got home I wrote down my scores per stand while they were still fresh in my mind and I'm still convinced I hit more than 84 ! 
We had individual cards named and cpsa number if you have one and always have at Owls.  Didn’t you have the young chap, were you in Britta’s squad.  If so, I saw your cards because he was looking to see if I was in that squad.

Your showing 86 on the results

86. It’s on CPSA

Shot the Lylvale Express Masters at AGL yesterday. Nice weather and a good fun day out. Decent course with nothing too testing or devious, but enough stuff to catch you out if not paying attention. Nice system of limited entries. Shot 10% above my average with a 102 followed by a 22 on the sportrap. Realistically I would expect Mr Faulds or similar to be putting in a 117 ish and 25 straight on the sportrap. Good day out and very enjoyable courses.

Shot the Lylvale Express Masters at AGL yesterday. Nice weather and a good fun day out. Decent course with nothing too testing or devious, but enough stuff to catch you out if not paying attention. Nice system of limited entries. Shot 10% above my average with a 102 followed by a 22 on the sportrap. Realistically I would expect Mr Faulds or similar to be putting in a 117 ish and 25 straight on the sportrap. Good day out and very enjoyable courses.
Very jealous.  Was hoping to do this, but work has gotten in the way.

I had forgotten about this event as booked it several months back to shoot tomorrow. It was an enjoyable shoot last year and sounds like they have achieved the same again. Not shot for a month now so hoping I am not too rusty.

I had forgotten about this event as booked it several months back to shoot tomorrow. It was an enjoyable shoot last year and sounds like they have achieved the same again. Not shot for a month now so hoping I am not too rusty.
Two weeks break and jet lag for me.. fingers crossed..

Two weeks break and jet lag for me.. fingers crossed..
Have also been on a “break” alas all work related so no holiday jet/lag to suffer, treated oneself to a very pleasant early morning at Coleys, weather was stunning, its a very well kept ground and most importantly I really enjoyed my shooting, if I could forever take all three postive vibes from reg shoots Ill be a very 😊 bunny

Was surprised that at the AGL LE masters sportrap we were given super comps to shoot, I would have thought they would have been pushing some of the more budget lines for the sportrap.

What i was more amazed about was how the super comps has changed. 20 years ago they were a super smooth killing machine, these were fierce! Mate of mine shot 120 black golds on the sporting, i shot all velocity plus, neither are renowned for being soft and we both commented on how the super comps were punchy and uncomfortable, how can they mess up so badly what was an outstanding cartridge. 

Was surprised that at the AGL LE masters sportrap we were given super comps to shoot, I would have thought they would have been pushing some of the more budget lines for the sportrap.

What i was more amazed about was how the super comps has changed. 20 years ago they were a super smooth killing machine, these were fierce! Mate of mine shot 120 black golds on the sporting, i shot all velocity plus, neither are renowned for being soft and we both commented on how the super comps were punchy and uncomfortable, how can they mess up so badly what was an outstanding cartridge. 
Before switching to Eley Superbs I shot the Super Comps for years and agree with what you say regarding before and after, it really does amaze me how painfully stupid (sorry there is no polite way of saying it) some manufacturers can be. 

Agree, Super Thumps are just expensive and uncomfortable. Two years ago they supplied Power Gold on the STR which were lovely. 

I’m blaming jet lag for a poor AGL. 99 and 19!

Some really silly stuff got away and I was dire on the STR. Once I sussed I needed to manually override my slow brain and speed up a bit, I improved, but damage was done. Nice course though. Hopefully less fuzzy headed tomorrow at Southdown.

I hit AGL early and it was quiet. Started off ok and finished ok but was very sloppy in the middle. A couple of stands were affected by sun in your eyes which wasn’t helpful. Hit 21 on the STR after not paying attention on previous sim pairs so ended up shooting them the wrong way round. Finished on 97 on the ESP.

I shot AGL and enjoyed a very pleasant day in good company.  I actually liked the Sportrap shells and didn’t find them at all thumpy.  I started badly and dropped 10 clays on the first three stands!  The only criticism I have was we shot late in the day and some two stands were sun affected although I did shoot 7/8 and 8/8 on them I couldn’t see if I killed them.  I didn’t like the rabbits very much luck of the drawer on those I thought.  I missed 5 but they were all so different.  Finished on 95 Sporting and 22 Sportrap - overlead E bird three times so shot gun down to eventually get it.

Westfield for me today, a very nice round with something for everyone. Haven’t been to the ground for a long time and the layout has changed a lot, it all seemed to flow nicely with very little queuing. I fell down giving targets lead they didn’t need, came away with a 74 but I was happy enough with that after a long time away from shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started at Court Farm.  I had two poor stands and lots of sloppy misses for a 73.  Then onto Dartford, very different targets from Court Farm, lots of quick stuff and some crossers that needed a lot of lead. Overall felt I shot better there, even though the score doesn't reflect it with a 72.  Should have been a few more, but there were some silly misses on the last couple of stands, probably starting to lose concentration a bit by then.

Southdown for me. I was happy enough with how I shot most of it as I thought it was far from easy. Some tricky quartering and edgey stuff mixed in. 

Two stands ruined my card; one with two longer targets that I thought would be fine but I misread and dropped 5! No excuse just got it wrong.

The other stand I remain cross about, stand 3. A rabbit plus an “easy” away target. Problem was when I got in to the stand, I realised that a leafy piece of tree hanging right in front of me made a total shield for anybody over 5’11” for the away target. In my thick trainers I’m 6’ 3”. The away target was totally obscured. I missed all 4 of what should have been card fillers. In hindsight I should have shot them far out when they reappeared, but was cross and felt cheated. A shame this stand wasn’t better thought out for all heights. 

Hi Will

When I set this I noticed the branch and meant to trim it but completley forgot. Apologies.

Bob

Hi Will

When I set this I noticed the branch and meant to trim it but completley forgot. Apologies.

Bob
I did wonder if it had dropped into that position after you set it.. you are a great course setter! I was trying to find you to discuss.. 

Latest posts

Back