Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just could not keep the rain off my glasses, was like looking at 20 clays at once 😂
I’ve had this week off and we were planning to go to Owls but saw the forecast and decided not to go, it’s just not fun seeing so many clays on your glasses.  Don’t mind shooting in the freezing cold just not the rain!  Off to Barrow tomorrow, weather looks fine. 

Went to Owls for their Saturday reg.   funny how you forget how irritating shooting in the rain is.  A good shoot which I didn’t  shoot particularly well and on my own, I prefer company.  Still got my horrid cold but still rather be out than in.
No,they have changed the Saturday...was planning to go next week 😥

Is this a permanent change?

No,looking at it seems they have decided to go completely random...

Last edited by a moderator:
No,they have changed the Saturday...was planning to go next week 😥

Is this a permanent change?

No,looking at it seems they have decided to go completely random...
Didn’t realise there was a change.  Next Saturday one 10th Nov and then 8th Dec 

A far nicer weather day to shoot today (than yesterday). Popped in to Horne. Bit weird as I missed 6 or 7 that made me want to hide in shame, but managed to get through the two nasty stands just one away, so 90, but not made up as you would expect.. Straighted the sim teals and only missed one on stand 1, which was costing many. 

Went to Owls for their Saturday reg.   funny how you forget how irritating shooting in the rain is.  A good shoot which I didn’t  shoot particularly well and on my own, I prefer company.  Still got my horrid cold but still rather be out than in.
It's very irritating, especially as the weather the week before and the forecast for this week is great.

I was a few miles away from Owls, game shooting in that deluge, we only did three longer drives as the weather was so bad, my coat has only just dried out.

Didn’t realise there was a change.  Next Saturday one 10th Nov and then 8th Dec 
Jan,feb,march april,may 2nd week,june 1st week,july 1st week,aug 1st week,sept 2nd week,oct 1st week ,nov 2nd week,dec 2nd week alway6s remember it as 2nd week though i don't get there that much as it is our club shoot on the second saturday.

Orston for me today. Enjoyable shoot, everything properly visible and no stupidly short windows. Only one stand that I had a mare on and from what I saw I wasn't the only one. Finished on 69, which I felt should have been half a dozen higher.

Only one shoot as I went with a friend who wasn't up for a second. Had a go at ABT for the first time instead for a bit of fun. Not great at the start, but hit 8 of the last 10 once I'd sorted my hold point out a bit and stopped shooting over the top.

Oop north today Garlands to start, enjoyable and it appears I was 2nd in B.  I struggled on a couple of sim pair stands there today, my timing is sometimes just not there.  Approached a lot of stands gun down at both my shoots as it seems to help me focus better on what I’m doing.  Then on to Kegworth where I overlead most things, found it very samey on lots of stands, got annoyed that the bar on the rabbit stand that came up to my chest and generally didn’t care much for it. Didn’t even count my card.  

Busy weekend after a long break....

Wednesday was Ian Coley's for the last of the summer series. Ended up 3rd in class with 84 and 3rd overall in class for the series.

Saturday was a local 80 birder. Ended up 5th overall which wasn't too bad as all shoot was done 'gun down' to practice a more FITASC styled mount.

Sunday was an early start to get down to SW2000 for the County All Round competition. Let myself down on a few phases here scoring 22 Skeet, 15 ABT!, 23 DTL and 16 Sporting. I let myself get wound up by a chap having a go at me and other members of our squad before shooting the sporting so dropped some silly ones. 

EDIT: Ended 3rd in B class so maybe not as bad as I feared...

Then we dashed over to Gloucester for the Skeet Doubles shoot. I was a bit fatigued at this point after not shooting enough recently and never having shot doubles. Let a few clumsy ones go on every round ending on 82.

Shot Honesberie again this weekend.  They know how to set a challenging course.  Unfortunately, they are plagued with either breakdowns or trap filling that seems to take an age.  It took us 3 hours to get around and that made it touch and go to get to another shoot after that.  Great targets (apart from stand 1 which needed a complete rethink) as always....but the inevitable hold ups do frustrate.

Come on Honesberie!  Get it sorted!  I love your shoots!

Podimore,great shoot and targets only dropped 4 on the 1st seven stands and then queuing for ages started to take its toll and it all went gradually to sh*t over the next 7 by the end i just couldn't wait to finish.

It was the intercounties championship and it was Busy! I just can't keep my mind on it for 4 hours at a time!

Shot some practise at Pinewoods at Blyton near Gainsborough, Lincolnshire yesterday. This is a regular little practise ground close to home for us.

What an absolutely belting round of clays, Alan the owner puts on a cracking round of clays for a small practise ground, we have shot all the major comps this year and we came away after a quick 1 1/2 hrs with the biggest smiles on our faces, it just reminded us what it was all about, really testing targets but all hittable and great variety. Anybody in the Lincs, Notts, York's area it is well worth a visit for a bit of practise.

Was going to stay home because the forecast was horrible, but decided to go to Gatton Bottom.  Managed to stay dry, it started raining a little just as we left.  Fairly typical set-up for Horne, lots of quartering stuff and some fiddly incomers.  Shot fairly steadily for a 78.  I really need to stop thinking about the score while I'm shooting.  Shot the platform stand last, hit the first two pairs of a r-l rabbit o/r l-r low quartering away. As I'm about to call for the third pair I start thinking, oh, if I hit all of these I'm on for an 80.  As a result I am just a little slower on the 2nd bird to make sure and miss it as a result.  Same again on the last pair.  I really need to learn to live in the moment.

Gunsight today wet and chille . Nice to get out . Tried some power gold 8 fibre nice ! The most expensive cart I've tried ? Yes I would buy again

Owls Lodge for us today for the sport trap. Usual round of quality targets and a great squad.  I shot my best ever score of 80 which I was chuffed with as it wasn’t easy.  21, 22 then a 15 then 22.  On third layout the sim pairs were quite tricky but Lauren said if anyone had a “bad” score it was usually on that layout.  Another dose of no birds and battery failings on last layout too which messed with everyone’s head.  Onwards and upwards as they say!

Owls Lodge for us today for the sport trap. Usual round of quality targets and a great squad.  I shot my best ever score of 80 which I was chuffed with as it wasn’t easy.  21, 22 then a 15 then 22.  On third layout the sim pairs were quite tricky but Lauren said if anyone had a “bad” score it was usually on that layout.  Another dose of no birds and battery failings on last layout too which messed with everyone’s head.  Onwards and upwards as they say!
Enjoyable day. You were shooting well! The HG of 96 was very good. Many were hitting a few less than usual, so if you did well it was commendable.

I shot much of it OK, but couldn’t find the long looper on first layout more than once. I then missed three easier targets on layout 2, which was daft. Layout 3 was horribly fiddly and few were hitting more than the 19 I managed. Layout 4 was pretty straightforward; shame I let a sim pair confuse me as they crossed, otherwise a straight was possible. 

What's the squad thing about; can you not shoot this type of event without taking mates along or something?
STR is shot in a squad of 5, over 4 layouts of 25 targets. So it’s always a book in event. 

You can shoot it informally in practice by waiting for a slot. 

Gotcha, cheers. I would guess that most teams are likely to be formed from bumping into and forming friendships due to shooting regularly then, be it from joining a club or whatever, cos I can't imagine there's many who have a load of mates who suddenly decide to start shooting at the same time on a whim! Even if I had the time, I certainly couldn't afford to go more than about once a week at most! 😃

Ironic that this is a fairly expensive game but it's pretty much the same cost as going to a premiership football match nowadays!

Latest posts

Back