SP1 vs 682 Gold E? Opinions on gun purchase decision..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going down the 682 Gold E route try to get one with a adjustable stock.I have two 682 Gold E guns both with adjustable stocks one 32" barrels  and one 30" barrels.

Used the 32" for nearly 15 years now without a single problem.Build quality is as good as it gets as it was sold as a competition gun.It should come with 5 Optima extended chokes.

Good luck with your search.

If you are going down the 682 Gold E route try to get one with a adjustable stock.I have two 682 Gold E guns both with adjustable stocks one 32" barrels  and one 30" barrels.

Used the 32" for nearly 15 years now without a single problem.Build quality is as good as it gets as it was sold as a competition gun.It should come with 5 Optima extended chokes.

Good luck with your search.
Will try but otherwise I’ll have one fitted - at the same time I get the wood refurbished. 

Also want a 32” as it feels much better to me. 

Left field a bit  here . But how about a brand new super reliable browning 525 sporter 1 with adjustable comb for £1700 . Did I mention brand new . 10 year warranty.  Look around on GT. Will out last and out shoot all of us . 👍Sorry did I say £1700 brand new. 

If I were starting out again now this would be my choice. 

I had a gold e in 32" adjustable which was great .needed tightening after around 8 years and 40000 carts .

Jasper. 

If you have shot a Beretta 682E and it fits you then this is the gun to purchase. A Browning shotgun handles completely differently to a Beretta. If you are prepared to up your budget a used Beretta DT10 in pristine condition is a serious proposition and all the gun that you will ever need. Buy carefully and the 682E and DT10 will suffer little depreciation and might just appreciate in value over time.

Have to say I’m not particularly open to Browning, I’ve much better synergy with Beretta. I learned with Beretta and have shot majority since. 

As for the DT10, at this stage I would say it’s probably too much gun for my ability level. 

Quite happy pursuing the Gold E. I’m viewing the local one again tomorrow. Will attempt to inspect as much as possible. 

In real terms the difference in handling between Beretta and browning is nothing more than media hype, especially now browning have caught up on barrell weight ( lack of). Whilst some do seem to prefer one to the other , when it comes to real world not many will know the difference between either.  Its the nut behind the butt that counts. As stated a left field choice.

But brand new top quality 525 for £1700. All the gun anyone needs. The rest is just desire or belief in marketing.

Really,  most of this countries top shot were bought up on browning/ miroku  , and many still choose to spend their own money on them now. Tbh there is a lot of bs talked about this gun and that . Examine the basics and there is not really that much difference. Just marketing hype.

Did i mention £1700 brand new.

Not some 20 year old shot out tool that nobody knows how it's been treated. Well yer pays yer money , yer takes your choice. 

Jasper.

Ps.

A fool and his money are easily parted. 

This hard sell on the merits of a Browning when the newbie has made it perfectly clear that he is in the market for a Beretta smacks of utter desperation. The 682E is an excellent gun and will serve him well. No curved balls required!

Jasper has a valid point, in fact it perfectly demonstrates why people buy brand new Hyundai Tucson instead of a used 2 yr old one owner Land Cruiser minter. 

No curve balls. I shoot Beretta myself  and am well aware of all the hype and the real world use.  Had  2 682 golde which were great but both needed work after around 40000 shells and the fore ends were always loose. Just saying. 

Love the world through rose tints. 

Jasper.

No rose tinted glasses here. I shoot a Krieghoff Parcours but my Beretta 682E is the only “keeper” in my cabinet. The newbie was asking advice on Beretta shotguns. I offered him advice. You offered to sell him a gun.

Just saying...2BC782B1-9214-4C97-B37B-B74A5C231715.jpeg

Well I’ve just been back to my local gun shop and thoroughly examined the Gold E - it appears (to me at least) to be in great condition. The wood does need some work with the gloss but it shoots well. 

The seller will not budge from the £1800 price tag - still feel this is a little on the high side?

The value of the gun is dependent on condition. If you can get a more experienced shooter have a look at the gun and make sure that a comprehensive warranty is being offered. You need to ensure that the gun comes with the original case, chokes and other accessories. If you wish to haggle on the price check on Guntrader to get a feeling for sale prices. There is usually some room for negotiation especially since it is a cash sale. You do have to be realistic and remember that you are buying a £3k gun and that the gun shop owner needs to make some profit. A 682E in mint condition will not stay on his rack for long so do your homework and make your decision. Good luck!

The value of the gun is dependent on condition. If you can get a more experienced shooter have a look at the gun and make sure that a comprehensive warranty is being offered. You need to ensure that the gun comes with the original case, chokes and other accessories. If you wish to haggle on the price check on Guntrader to get a feeling for sale prices. There is usually some room for negotiation especially since it is a cash sale. You do have to be realistic and remember that you are buying a £3k gun and that the gun shop owner needs to make some profit. A 682E in mint condition will not stay on his rack for long so do your homework and make your decision. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback bud.

I've actually got a holding deposit on it for the time being whilst I look for somebody better informed to take a look at the gun. 

*Edit - add to that I don’t believe the shop is a “warranty” type of setup. It’s Bookham Guns and I think it’s more a case of buy as seen. 

The gun does have the case, chokes, spare trigger and beretta key.

Last edited by a moderator:
£1800 is top end for a 682e mainly due to the fact there are just so many of them around so that one needs to have provable evidence that it's a low miler, even £1500 or less will buy you a really good example. I have seen the odd new one advertised for £2500 which is double what they cost when first introduced and damn close to what a DT10 in good order would fetch. 

Here’s a video I took of the gun this morning, all of your thoughts/comments are absolutely welcome.

If the advice is to walk away then I would. 

*Edit - this uploaded terribly. It’s actually HD on my phone. 

You really need to get it thoroughly inspected by someone who really knows their way around a Beretta. It is difficult to tell much from the video other than cosmetically it looks fine apart from the wood being a bit plain. Get it checked especially since no warranty is being offered. If that is the original case then the 682E will be one of the early guns. This can be checked. There will be two letters stamped on the barrels that will give you the date of manufacture. Once you find the two letters( usually stamped on the bottom of the chamber) the date code can be checked on the internet. Condition is far more important than age.

You really need to get it thoroughly inspected by someone who really knows their way around a Beretta. It is difficult to tell much from the video other than cosmetically it looks fine apart from the wood being a bit plain. Get it checked especially since no warranty is being offered. If that is the original case then the 682E will be one of the early guns. This can be checked. There will be two letters stamped on the barrels that will give you the date of manufacture. Once you find the two letters( usually stamped on the bottom of the chamber) the date code can be checked on the internet. Condition is far more important than age.
Thanks.

Have reached out to my instructor at Bisley to see if he's happy to have a look.

Latest posts

Back