MK38 Trap > Sporter recommendations?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Anthony, you are going for a gun that needs a palm swell adding, chokes doing, adjustable comb fitting.. all at a significant cost. I feel there will be another gun that just has all you want off the shelf? A Blaser? Good used Perazzi?

So Anthony, you are going for a gun that needs a palm swell adding, chokes doing, adjustable comb fitting.. all at a significant cost. I feel there will be another gun that just has all you want off the shelf? A Blaser? Good used Perazzi?
Ah Will I know, I know.. problem is I've tried so many guns and the MK38 just ticks the most boxes for me. You can include a couple Blaser and Perazzi in that list too.

Also much of the to do list are things I don't actually need, but do consciously want eg the choke upgrade, a comb (it's that or a custom job assuming it doesn't fit off the shelf). 

Way I see it, with the MK38 it'll iteratively take steps towards being exactly what I want in the gun, similar to what @MartynB describes as the owners interpretation of right. 

I know a triple A shooter who has pvc tape on his, still hammers way more than most...

Er a.................... 725  ??  😂

Oh ! Where is the fun in that . Where would the world be if us chaps were sensible .  I love tinkering .

I loved the 10 gm weight saving that the World Superbike race spec wheel   valves gave to the last motorbike I owned . I often discussed this valuable performance enhancement with my mates over a  pork pie and a sausage roll 🤡

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Will I know, I know.. problem is I've tried so many guns and the MK38 just ticks the most boxes for me. You can include a couple Blaser and Perazzi in that list too.

Also much of the to do list are things I don't actually need, but do consciously want eg the choke upgrade, a comb (it's that or a custom job assuming it doesn't fit off the shelf). 

Way I see it, with the MK38 it'll iteratively take steps towards being exactly what I want in the gun, similar to what @MartynB describes as the owners interpretation of right. 
Will does have a point, as for the MK38 ticking boxes thats a long & possibly expensive "aim to do list" you already have in your head for the gun when you get your paws on it, like many Ive got a MK38 Trap, bought when, after a wretched 6 months with it I shifted on a DT10,  its (the MK that is) the most base spec which was then already multi-choked which for sporting is almost needed due to the original Trap choking, then for it to fit me I had the stock lenghtened & then cast as the stock was ram-rod straight, never seen such a straight stock on anything else Ive ever owned, the Mk is still in my cabinet I didn't need to sell on when buying a P gun, chap in short there is most, very very most probably just the gun for you out there which won't need the extra over spend (which you might not recover in future selling on)

might not recover?(understatement) very few things I am sure of, but  losing monies on any change of equipment is mostly a certainty, especially if its altered from stock condition, doesnt matter if its a camera or car etc, thats how life works!

Will does have a point, as for the MK38 ticking boxes thats a long & possibly expensive "aim to do list" you already have in your head for the gun when you get your paws on it, like many Ive got a MK38 Trap, bought when, after a wretched 6 months with it I shifted on a DT10,  its (the MK that is) the most base spec which was then already multi-choked which for sporting is almost needed due to the original Trap choking, then for it to fit me I had the stock lenghtened & then cast as the stock was ram-rod straight, never seen such a straight stock on anything else Ive ever owned, the Mk is still in my cabinet I didn't need to sell on when buying a P gun, chap in short there is most, very very most probably just the gun for you out there which won't need the extra over spend (which you might not recover in future selling on)
So the maths make you right I feel @GlawsterOldCodger

• Gun: £2900 
  • Adjustable system £250
  • Teague the gun: £320
  • x 4 Teague chokes £216
Total: £3686 before a pad change and spacer.

This is a lot of money - and there must be something (even a S/H MK38) off the shelf for no more than £2500 which ticks all of the above. 

(Before anybody says it I have completely lost my faith in the B725 which makes it a non-starter for me).

Could I point out that if you so much as fit an alternative pad to a new Browning / Miroku  according to BWM you will invalidate the guarantee ! ! ! !

Be very careful , it could be an expensive route you are going down . Refund and buy what you can find /like /fits/ suits is the best way to go .

For the sort of money you are spending I would certainly look at CG as an alternative .

might not recover?(understatement) very few things I am sure of, but  losing monies on any change of equipment is mostly a certainty, especially if its altered from stock condition, doesnt matter if its a camera or car etc, thats how life works!
++1

The sow's ear / silk purse thing is an absolute loser every time.  Even if you are happy with it (presuming you actually know WTF you want to start with) at some time you will move on and take the hit.  I'm not a Blaser fan BUT you should at least give some thot to what Will says, not to mention a number of other easily affordable guns for the numbers you put up.  Your project is an outrageous expenditure for what amounts to a lark.  IMO you really need to step back and take a hard look at you're doing.

JMO of course - - YMMV

BTW I've seen otherwise beautiful quality guns up to and including Fabbris with Teagues or Brileys that sit for YEARS on the for sale rack simply because there are similar guns available for a few $ more that have not been mutilated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why I suggested the second hand route, some one else has already shelled out for teagues etc, let them take the brunt of the loss, that way if its not what you get on with parting is only a minor glitch.

I'm with you - I've decided it's a silly move financially and not worth the outlay. 

I've spoken to EJ and refund is an option, therefore I'll look at S/H market.

If you guys come across MK38s that have had extended teagues/adjustable stock do shout. I'm keeping on top of Gun Trader and Gun Star.

BTW I've seen otherwise beautiful quality guns up to and including Fabbris with Teagues or Brileys that sit for YEARS on the for sale rack simply because there are similar guns available for a few $ more that have not been mutilated.
Strange how the London gun trade send barrels “ in the white “ to Teague Precision Chokes to be “mutilated “ when they could easily do their own work ... I must remember to get a deal on a best quality SLE  fitted with such from the slow moving stock rack at this year’s Game Fair . 

Strange how the London gun trade send barrels “ in the white “ to Teague Precision Chokes to be “mutilated “ when they could easily do their own work ... I must remember to get a deal on a best quality SLE  fitted with such from the slow moving stock rack at this year’s Game Fair . 
No snark intended but I was not under the impression that the London gun trade set any sort of standards for anyone in the 21st Century.  The best that I can tell you is what I see in the marketplace here.  I know/know of not a single person that would opt for an aftermarket choked, overbored, or ported gun over one unmolested that will always cost more $.  Personally I have no interest in a gun that has been "fixed"

YMMV - - - buy, shoot whatever rings your bell!  Stimulate the economy!

I was going down exactly the  same route as antse7en

I am not a top shot by any stretch but wanted a nice gun and one that could shoot steel as well as lead for some live quarry.

I ended up with a G5 32'' MK38 Sporter with trap F/E.

Having read all of the reviews they did not seem to rate this model as much as the Trap but the cost of sporterising the trap model just ruled it out to me.

At my level I  think I would have been unable to tell the difference in performance / balance of the Trap compared to the Sporter

Rich

So, update..

I went cheap and purposeful. 

Bought a single owner MK38 trap (grade 1) in 32" barrels with factory adjustable system. In original condition. The wood is, well, a grade 1 but mechanically everything is spot on. 

Grand total of £900. Quite different to the £3600 I was nearly going to spend! Even going Teague with x4 chokes would only bring me up to shy of £1500. 

Thanks all for your input - glad I floated it on here before acting. 

Latest posts

Back