Something new....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord v

I have now come to terms with the fact A&S are unlikely to get my SGC to me by the end of the month. Thus I have turned to retail therapy as a form of solace and want to spend some of the cash I had set aside this month for a gun (approx. £160).

I have:

1) Cabinet (obviously)

2) Cleaning kit (but basic)

3) Hard case (chosen because more easily lockable and I often have tools and kit in the boot that bounce around)

4) Ear protection (passive cans)

5) Glasses

What else would you recommend for a newbie? I was thinking a range bag or maybe a decent slip?  what essentials am I missing?

I have a coat with many many big pockets... although a nice leather cartridge bag wouldn't be a bad idea I guess.  

Is there a bullsh*t protector big enough?

I have now come to terms with the fact A&S are unlikely to get my SGC to me by the end of the month. Thus I have turned to retail therapy as a form of solace and want to spend some of the cash I had set aside this month for a gun (approx. £160).

I have:

1) Cabinet (obviously)

3) Hard case (chosen because more easily lockable and I often have tools and kit in the boot that bounce around)

5) Glasses

What else would you recommend for a newbie? I was thinking a range bag or maybe a decent slip?  what essentials am I missing?
cap

shooting gloves

vest / waistcoat

cap

shooting gloves

vest / waistcoat
I have caps already, not specifically shooting ones though.

Gloves- totally sounds like slightly unnecessary crap I could spend money on. Any sugestions?

Vest - worried I would end up looking 'all gear and no idea' or like Wonko. :p  

How about a nice sideboard so you can store all your gun related stuff and there just a good height to clean them on  :)

Get on the ebay, make your money go further, lots of 5 minute wonders in this sport.

Trophy cabinet

I have caps already, not specifically shooting ones though.

Gloves- totally sounds like slightly unnecessary crap I could spend money on. Any sugestions?

Vest - worried I would end up looking 'all gear and no idea' or like Wonko. :p  
you need a vest, big pockets for cartridges and a shoulder patch thing. Its a must my friend. As for gloves, I use Beretta but then I would wouldn't I ?

How about a nice sideboard so you can store all your gun related stuff and there just a good height to clean them on  :)
ooh good shout.

Get on the ebay, make your money go further, lots of 5 minute wonders in this sport.

Trophy cabinet
Love your optimism... however having seen myself shoot I should be ok for a few years without one of those.

you need a vest, big pockets for cartridges and a shoulder patch thing. Its a must my friend. As for gloves, I use Beretta but then I would wouldn't I ?
there is no helping some people. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something you have omitted from your list and iam surprised no one mentioned it. You won't need it that much when you first start shooting but as time goes by and you progress you will need it more and more.

A book of excuses.

Forgot to say they are discipline specific. Don't know what your planning on shooting but if its trap prepare for a large outlay as its more of an encyclopedia.

There is something you have omitted from your list and iam surprised no one mentioned it. You won't need it that much when you first start shooting but as time goes by and you progress you will need it more and more.

A book of excuses.
I found it was best to get it in weekly instalments and as time went by, to build up into volumes. I have a shelf dedicated to it now.  :smile:

I have:

1) Cabinet (obviously)

5) Glasses

I'm in exactly the same space as you, Lord v. Waiting for licence, running out of things to spend money on!

What about a cleaning mat? Maybe some snap caps? Bore snake? My most recent purchase was a new pair of Muck Boots (although not just strictly for shooting) as my last pair had started to leak.

Have you decided on a gun yet?

Chokes,ported super extend ones def improve your shooting.

Surprised nobody has mentioned a good quality gun slip yet?

Hard case is ideal for transportation to and from the ground but when you are there you will need a gun slip to a) protect your gun from bumps and bangs and bad weather and b ) free your hands so you can smoke, drink, eat, etc, etc, etc.

buy a good one and it should last you for years.

DT

I'm in exactly the same space as you, Lord v. Waiting for licence, running out of things to spend money on!

What about a cleaning mat? Maybe some snap caps? Bore snake? My most recent purchase was a new pair of Muck Boots (although not just strictly for shooting) as my last pair had started to leak.

Have you decided on a gun yet?
Already have a deposit down on the gun! 

I was thinking boresnake, but seems a little boring... 

Surprised nobody has mentioned a good quality gun slip yet?

Hard case is ideal for transportation to and from the ground but when you are there you will need a gun slip to a) protect your gun from bumps and bangs and bad weather and b ) free your hands so you can smoke, drink, eat, etc, etc, etc.

buy a good one and it should last you for years.

DT
I must be the most unlucky gunslip buyer.  I have had three leather, fairly expensive slips. My third one has just lost the little clasp.  Luckily it also has a buckle to secure the top.

I must be the most unlucky gunslip buyer.  I have had three leather, fairly expensive slips. My third one has just lost the little clasp.  Luckily it also has a buckle to secure the top.
Bad luck Sian. Obviously not expensive enough :)

DT

I feel for ya Lord V as i'm in the same situation.

No matter what you purchase it will be a poor substitute for that wee bit of paper :(

Latest posts

Back