Something new....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So £100 and an evening later I have: 

Cartridge bag

A vest that hopefully won't make me look like a complete knob 

One of those roll up gun slip things

Some oil and cleaner. 

A list of excuses longer than my arm

Not too bad....

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a nice, specific leather wallet to hold the magic bit of paper when it arrives?

You can get them on a well known website - one of the sellers will brand a name on it for you for a couple of extra quid...

A shoe protector. Little flap of leather to protect your shoe and the gun barrel when you rest it on your shoe.  Definately ATGNI

Handwarmer.. Hot Rox  or one of those lighter fuel ones. 

Mind you,  It won't be much use in the summer.

Order a 2nd gun....you know you will want anotherone in the very near future
I expect even more quickly than that ;)

How about a nice, specific leather wallet to hold the magic bit of paper when it arrives?

You can get them on a well known website - one of the sellers will brand a name on it for you for a couple of extra quid...
Nice idea - added to the list.

A shoe protector. Little flap of leather to protect your shoe and the gun barrel when you rest it on your shoe.  Definately ATGNI
I have seen those - I'm not sure my self confidence would stand up to the (rightful) mickey taking from the Mrs. (it's already pretty bad) I also shoot in wellies or boots and have no shoes worth protecting.  

Handwarmer.. Hot Rox  or one of those lighter fuel ones. 

Mind you,  It won't be much use in the summer.

I expect even more quickly than that ;)
get reusable ones free from work.

Already weighing up a SxS or a .410 for a bit of variety....

What no super extended ported chokes,come on! no serious clay shooter is ever without their super extended ported chokes.Get a grip man.

Do NOT buy a leather cartridge bag to use for clay shooting..................if you do, you run the risk of losing the ability to count. Every week I witness this phenomena. Most shooters can work out that IF you are about to shoot 3 pair of targets, that will require a minimum of 6 cartridges, plus 4 to allow for no birds or a half asleep Ref. Having worked this out AND I used a calculator, I get this to total 10 cartridges. IF you have a leather cartridge bag, you are unable to work this out and therefore are obliged to enter the shooting cage, complete with your lovely bag. Having placed the bag on the floor, just in front of you, you proceed to shoot. First of all you will need to bend down in order to get 2 cartridges from the bag. In doing this, you will likely plug both barrels of your gun with mud/earth. In order to check for mud, you will need to look down or more likely up the said barrels. This will then cause you to dent your stock on the metal or woodwork that forms the shooting cage, as you rapidly move the wood away from further damage, you are prone to strike the overhead bar with the end of the barrels, at best damaging the extended chokes or at worst necessitating the removal of 2" of barrel (ok if you planned on buying a skeet gun though). So, buy a leather cartridge bag for clayshooting.............at YOUR PERIL  !    :wacko:   

If you are unable to resist the temptation, at least carry a calculator ! 

Do NOT buy a leather cartridge bag to use for clay shooting..................if you do, you run the risk of losing the ability to count. Every week I witness this phenomena. Most shooters can work out that IF you are about to shoot 3 pair of targets, that will require a minimum of 6 cartridges, plus 4 to allow for no birds or a half asleep Ref. Having worked this out AND I used a calculator, I get this to total 10 cartridges. IF you have a leather cartridge bag, you are unable to work this out and therefore are obliged to enter the shooting cage, complete with your lovely bag. Having placed the bag on the floor, just in front of you, you proceed to shoot. First of all you will need to bend down in order to get 2 cartridges from the bag. In doing this, you will likely plug both barrels of your gun with mud/earth. In order to check for mud, you will need to look down or more likely up the said barrels. This will then cause you to dent your stock on the metal or woodwork that forms the shooting cage, as you rapidly move the wood away from further damage, you are prone to strike the overhead bar with the end of the barrels, at best damaging the extended chokes or at worst necessitating the removal of 2" of barrel (ok if you planned on buying a skeet gun though). So, buy a leather cartridge bag for clayshooting.............at YOUR PERIL  !    :wacko:   

If you are unable to resist the temptation, at least carry a calculator ! 
:cool:  speaking from experience?

I like to think I can count - the attraction of a cartridge bag is I wont have to walk around with pockets that make me look like I have the hips of a Kardshian.

I wouldn't be without my brolly girl and at least one loader.  My man attends to all of the other kit.  I mean, I'm there to shoot.

:cool:  speaking from experience?

I like to think I can count - the attraction of a cartridge bag is I wont have to walk around with pockets that make me look like I have the hips of a Kardshian.
Speaking from experience of running a shooting ground and having to witness this on a weekly basis  !

Do as any sensible clay shooter does then, buy a DECENT range bag. Mine will carry 150 cartridges, spare lenses, spare batteries (both Cens and hearing aid !) Small can of 3 in 1 spray, 3 piece wooden cleaning rod and brush,(for the idiots that have a cartridge bag !),  insect repellent, small hand towel, pen, pencil, a few tissues, bottle of water and last, but not least, a banana !  Together with 25 cartridges in my vest pockets, I am set to complete most 100 birder sporting shoots. My gear is based over 50 years of experience in Comp shooting, BUT, I feel sure that you will learn !

Beretta do a great 200 size cartridge carrier to get cartridges from house to car too.

Just to add to the cartridge bag 'thing', I have 4, but they only get used in the game shooting season, for their intended job.  When shooting last week, someone had stupidly left his cartridge bag, open, on the gun rack at one of the stands. I just happened to mention to some of the other guy's in the queue waiting to shoot, that the ground Owner had left them there for the shooters to try, I do not know how many were left in the bag, when the absent minded owner returned  !  

I assume from this nice detailed post one of your former occupations was a "Risk Assessor" :)

Back