Slightly different topic

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost is irrelevant if one can afford it. It is after all the closest discipline to the history of our sport so on the basis of nostalgia i am all for it and it looks like fun to me.
Ian I take it you are happy to fund my entry then hahahahaha

I'm arriving late to this but in my experience, when people realise they have a bit of talent they start thinking about shooting for their country. Been there, sort of tried it, realised it involved lots of time and money, remembered I had kids, husband and a job and stopped bothering - yeah I'm not that talented but I'm a girl and to be blunt you don't have to be that great to earn third place in the ladies team. I've seen a few in my time earn a place, once or twice and then stop bothering - they realise that they may be the best but they don't really get the proper recognition for being the best. When you are representing your country everything should be paid for: travel, accommodation, cartridges and clothes. Why bother if it's not funded? Where are the big rewards that you get in other sports when you represent your country? The good shooters quickly get disillusioned and stop bothering. The CPSA should be funding the teams. If we had Digweed, Faulds, Hustlethwaite and Hall in our team plus the other slightly less obvious guys at the top, then we would wipe the floor with the rest of the world and then maybe, just maybe, shooting shotguns in GB might get the recognition it deserves
I did not do it for monetary reasons, rather for the pride of wearing the Lions on my person. When I look back on it now, it still gives me the shivers down my spine, even though it was almost 30 years ago. True story.

Phil*

£1000 divided by 5 = £200, so if you are in the top 5 you may recover your costs.
Chubby behave...you know that is not how it works.

This is a clear example of why clay shooting is in the state it is in....attitudes to other disciplines and their various quirks......if it is not sporting...it is not anything.

Thank you folks...I really really appreciate all your comments about Helice on here...... :laugh: .....because 'you all' have now definitely made my mind up for me......I will be going to this shoot and not the EGM..... :laugh: I am not wasting anymore of my time looking after the interests of 'members' ....you can look after your own....duck you.... :laugh:

Come on Nic, it's only gentle rib tickling from an ex Tarpy. It's not meant to be serious. Just saying.

Phil*

The CPSA should be funding the teams. If we had Digweed, Faulds, Hustlethwaite and Hall in our team plus the other slightly less obvious guys at the top, then we would wipe the floor with the rest of the world and then maybe, just maybe, shooting shotguns in GB might get the recognition it deserves
Well if I can help.... No teams are fully funded.....there is no money......however....so people are not confused...Cpsa part funds the England Home International teams for the various disciplines shot.

Cpsa has nothing to do with GBR teams or Olympic teams.

Cpsa also funds the ICTSF teams to their destination....but not sure how much that is now....think it has been drastically cut down now....(was about £40k when I was on the board...I was always against it....Mickey mouse Federation).

BICTSF part funds GBR teams in Fitasc disciplines and ISSF disciplines for WCH and ECH only. They also have no money and therefore it is by a miserable donation to 'your own' expenses can vary between £100 upwards to about £500. Which gets you no where. ( in the last 8 out of 9 years that I have been a GBR team member...I have never taken any of the funding....leaving it in the pot for those who did need it...as the pot was so low.)

For a WC or WCF there is no funding. It is all self funded.

ETSF deals with Commonwealth Games funding. This time it has gone up to about £40k for clays shooting side. The last lot (India) did not get any APA's because Cpsa did not put a budget plan in which resulted in the bear minimum given.

UK Sport funds the few on the Olympic programme (11 I think at the moment over rifle, pistol and shotgun).......they get everything ....training allowance ...cartridges....physio's....sports psyc's etc etc etc

So in a nut shell......don't look for funding when you make it....the funding morsels that you get allocated will not even pay for your kit.....let alone getting you to the event.

If you are going to be good...and do not have the cash to keep going....then that is really tough ...but life......shooting is not a cheap sport.....

All I can suggest is that you find your own sponsors as others have done....out of shooting......who will support you all the way to a World or European title.

Of course that itself is hard....because over the years...private sponsors have put good money into people who have had more confidence in their own abilities...that has been fact.....and they have been stung...

There are lots of people out there in all disciplines who are good.....but there are really very few who can actually win big. And by big...I mean a World or European title. Big companies are not interested in a county title or UK title if they are funding your shooting....! A quick British or English title will keep them interested on the way to a world or European title....but they will not wait for someone always being the bridesmaid never the bride.....no one is interested in 2nd or 3rd on their advertising brochures. :laugh:

So best thing is to have a reality check....if looking for sponsors....true story...just saying...!

I hope this is helpful info for those starting on their journey...

Last edited:
Come on Nic, it's only gentle rib tickling from an ex Tarpy. It's not meant to be serious. Just saying.Phil*
Exactly and the same gentle rib tickling reply from me too....could you not tell....I even put the smilies on for those who never read my words right....
Trust me....I am laughing my head off here.....

And floating with the weight lifted of my shoulders....

That feeling of not having to be bothered any more is priceless

And you know how I love the saying 'duck you' always said with a smile and a roar....

Ah hahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited:
And just a little add to this long running topic, I'm just a mere C class newbie but married to a multiple GB team member, who has always been proud to wear his badge and represent his country.

But personal goals change, been there, got the badge, time to look at Fiocchi world rankings and Beretta World cup points, why pay hundreds of pounds to attend selection shoots when you intend to shoot the competition anyway.

Yes if you get in the team, you get your entry paid and possible a small contribution if there is money in the pot.

My husband is fortunate enough to be sponsored, yes he gets a gun, yes he gets his cartridges and a few shirts and jackets but that's it. Everything else is self funded by himself and a very nice company called Barclaycard, but they have to be paid back!

So now in the off season he is working his a**e off to fund his shooting for next year.

Yes Judy Morris has done a great job for Team USA and now all the shooters want to be in the team as it is such a great run organisation but I can't see that happening in UK.

And just one little thing, Matt correct me if I'm wrong, but your skeet vest implies that you are already receiving support from Bisley Shooting Ground, but best of luck with the hard work, same as all the shooters who gain a GB place have to put in

And just a little add to this long running topic, I'm just a mere C class newbie but married to a multiple GB team member, who has always been proud to wear his badge and represent his country.

But personal goals change, been there, got the badge, time to look at Fiocchi world rankings and Beretta World cup points, why pay hundreds of pounds to attend selection shoots when you intend to shoot the competition anyway.

Yes if you get in the team, you get your entry paid and possible a small contribution if there is money in the pot.

My husband is fortunate enough to be sponsored, yes he gets a gun, yes he gets his cartridges and a few shirts and jackets but that's it. Everything else is self funded by himself and a very nice company called Barclaycard, but they have to be paid back!

So now in the off season he is working his a**e off to fund his shooting for next year.

Yes Judy Morris has done a great job for Team USA and now all the shooters want to be in the team as it is such a great run organisation but I can't see that happening in UK.

And just one little thing, Matt correct me if I'm wrong, but your skeet vest implies that you are already receiving support from Bisley Shooting Ground, but best of luck with the hard work, same as all the shooters who gain a GB place have to put in
Old skeet vest, so Bisley not supporting me this year. I do get decent support from Gamebore however and look forward to 2014

well said.

I ain't mentioning names but i know two people who have shot for Wales who don't live there so i assume they have some hereditary connection with Wales. Seems weird. I remember years ago we used to have the Dtl war of the roses shoot every year lancs v yorks it was always were you lived then early 90s they changed it to were you were born i had shot for lancs for years then all of a sudden had to shoot for my birthplace of yorks. :)

I never shot it again it didnt seem right to shoot against my lancs club mates
You now know 3 Ian! I was born just across the border in England (no bodies perfect), and have continued to live in England (just) for most of my Life. However my family on both sides were from all over Wales. I have always considered myself Welsh, and making the Welsh OT team as an able bodied shooter after several years of hard graft was one of the proudest moments of my life. However there have been one or two people that have commented on me 'not being welsh enough', and I think I have missed out on some help and support because of it. I cant win, if Im in England I get called a Taffy sheep shagger, and in Wales i'm English or a Sais! Perhaps I'll move to Ireland and become a 'Plastic Paddy'!!  :sarcastic:

p.s I only wear my welsh vest on International duty, it saves the red face when you turn up to a shoot looking flash, then shoot like a total tit. I like to fly under the Radar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha,

were you been pal thought you would have come to the Beverly gp the other week i looked for you .

You been Busy i expect :)

Hey up IPs, only just read your PM now... had to leave it alone for a couple of months waiting for our Son to be born, had to stay well away from the forum, reading about other peoples shooting adventures was really twisting the knife!! 

I have been quietly reading this topic and would like to offer an opinion.

If the CPSA didn't fritter away £32,000 on solicitors fees defending an action bought upon them by one of their Regional Committees, didn't allow two complete wasters to jaunt to the American Continent not once but twice, plus other obvious misappropriation of members money we could possibly fund our teams a little more.

Why not run fund raising ventures? It isn't really a  hard thing to do. A few White Goods or TV's as donated prizes  would very soon raise money if you thought you could win for the cost of a £5 ticket. Beretta (GMK) have often offered guns as prizes, what happened to the income from those?

Rather than use creative accountancy to balance the books with new computers every year, why not provide more funding for Team CPSA?

So Nic. if you ONLY want a GB badge and want to shoot Fitasc events WHY be a member of the CPSA? :spiteful:

Hey up IPs, only just read your PM now... had to leave it alone for a couple of months waiting for our Son to be born, had to stay well away from the forum, reading about other peoples shooting adventures was really twisting the knife!!
congratulations mate many sleepless nights to follow :)

Wondered were you had gone thought you had fallen out with me when i didnt get a reply :)

So Nic. if you ONLY want a GB badge and want to shoot Fitasc events WHY be a member of the CPSA? :spiteful:
Chubby....i do not understand your question ....is it general or directed to me. 

If directed to me...then can i say that i do not want another badge...i already have many GBR caps and i do not think that i would ever choose to shoot again for a GBR team, plus i am also a member of the SCTA and others. Who knows....times may change my view...but at the moment that is it.

But..... if it is a general question of 'if a person only wants a GB badge and only to shoot FITASC events...why be a member of the CPSA'.....it shows that you have no basic knowledge of how our organisations are formed or run....and rarely read or take in what is written on these pages as it has been covered many times before.....

But i will help if i can by the following answer for you...

You need to be a member of any of the 4 home nations of the UK in order to be able to shoot any international fitasc event in the world...because you are then affiliated to BICTSF who in turn is the 'member federation' to FITASC Paris. 

Cpsa and the other 4 nations of the UK are not affiliated to ..or member federations of....FITASC. 

At the moment you cannot be a member of BICTSF alone......you are only a member of your home or chosen nation.

Does that help....?

Back