Shooting glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBL

I will get around to getting a new pair soon.
We all know that Pilla Outlaws are fantastic but are expensive.
Has anyone tried (and got opinions) on Xsight, Re Rangers, maybe the Pilla 580s?

RE Rangers here. Had them five or six years. Love them. They come in different frame sizes, which means they don't fall off my nose when I'm shooting down on targets from a platform (unlike my old ones).

Has anyone tried (and got opinions) on Xsight, Re Rangers, maybe the Pilla 580s?
A friend has Pillas and Xsight, but only uses the Xsight now.

Have had both and would opt for Rangers all day long. I have to have inserts for my prescription and had the Rangers with about 6 lenses. They were dead easy to clip in and the insert was glass and never moved and the picture was excellent. During lockdown I got suckered into buying a set of Pillars with the insert. Sold my rangers on flea bay as easy as anything. The inserts with the Pillars are plastic, clarity and sharpness nowhere near as good as the Rangers. I ended up selling the Pillars and having 2 lenses made with my prescription from Rangers which I’m extremely pleased with.
Hubby has the Pillars with the insert and they keep steaming up whilst shooting which is driving him mad, I’m due for another eye test soon and I’m thinking if it’s changed it’s another set so we are both seriously thinking of having laser surgery maybe towards end of year when we normally take a bit of a break (well he is deffo having it, I’m a wuss when it comes to eyes but seriously considering it). He can then just have his Pillars with no insert and I will just get the Rangers again.
Your preference of course and we all have different opinions but I hear so many shooters moaning about the Pillars but never hear anyone moan about any other glasses 🤔. Try before you buy is my advice and don’t rush into anything. Good luck.

Specsavers. Sunglass frames with adjustable nose pieces. Ultradrive yellow lenses / brown lenses. Save a fortune. Just saying, again.. 😀

A couple of the guys I shoot with have gone for the Zeiss ZS Sport glasses, and really rate them.
They're the ones that fall off my nose. My small head rather than a fault with the glasses.

Specsavers. Sunglass frames with adjustable nose pieces. Ultradrive yellow lenses / brown lenses. Save a fortune. Just saying, again.. 😀
I took Will's advice a couple of years ago, I bought a pair of Ultradrive glasses after upgrading my normal specs. Specsaver allow another pair at half price so I got them for about £55 (frame and distance prescription,) not bad eh? I also use them for driving when conditions are bright although they are not sun glasses as such. They are designed to increase contrast which is just what we shooters need. (y)(y)
If light conditions are overly gloomy I might opt for my clear distance glasses instead.

I have used the XSight range of shooting glasses. the lenses are quite thick but overall they are very comfortable. Go for the lighter coloured lenses as the dark ones are VERY dark!

Saying that though, I have also used Beretta Puull glasses and they are very good, comfortable and no fogging. I have just bought some Pilla Sportmans and I have to say, the lenses are far better than anything I have used before. Very clear and crisp.

Have had both and would opt for Rangers all day long. I have to have inserts for my prescription and had the Rangers with about 6 lenses. They were dead easy to clip in and the insert was glass and never moved and the picture was excellent. During lockdown I got suckered into buying a set of Pillars with the insert. Sold my rangers on flea bay as easy as anything. The inserts with the Pillars are plastic, clarity and sharpness nowhere near as good as the Rangers. I ended up selling the Pillars and having 2 lenses made with my prescription from Rangers which I’m extremely pleased with.
Hubby has the Pillars with the insert and they keep steaming up whilst shooting which is driving him mad, I’m due for another eye test soon and I’m thinking if it’s changed it’s another set so we are both seriously thinking of having laser surgery maybe towards end of year when we normally take a bit of a break (well he is deffo having it, I’m a wuss when it comes to eyes but seriously considering it). He can then just have his Pillars with no insert and I will just get the Rangers again.
Your preference of course and we all have different opinions but I hear so many shooters moaning about the Pillars but never hear anyone moan about any other glasses 🤔. Try before you buy is my advice and don’t rush into anything. Good luck.
Great advice about try before you buy. If you try the Pillas, don't fall for the 'look at that orange clay over there, it makes it pop out'… Most clays in the UK are black!

Great advice about try before you buy. If you try the Pillas, don't fall for the 'look at that orange clay over there, it makes it pop out'… Most clays in the UK are black!
Let me know where you shoot, I'm fed up with orange clays being thrown against a light blue sky everywhere I go!

Have you got a link to these Will, as I can't find them on Specsavers, no pun and my eyes are not that bad :)

Have you got a link to these Will, as I can't find them on Specsavers, no pun and my eyes are not that bad :)
No link.. Weirdly I was in Specsavers today as my normal glasses broke. (Silly light frames).

The frames I chose are the Hackett brand. Go in to a store and look at the many prescription sunglass frames on offer. Go for a big lense design with an adjustable nose piece as you need to set them high for shooting, so kind of Aviator or similar. Then choose colours of lens. I advise the Ultradrive mid yellow (Photo) And the brown for sun. It works for me very well at least.
IMG_0362.jpeg

Last edited:
They don't advertise them for some reason, I had to ask about them while I was in the Fleet branch. They had some plain Ultradrive lenses in a drawer so I could look through them down the high street, to assess the effect. I wasn't offered different shades (2-3 years ago)

Where's this then. Never seen black clays around here (North East)?

On the website, these appear to be Specsavers safety range.

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/corporate/safety-eyewear
A reminder that for CPSA domestic events whilst the wearing of some form of eyeware is compulsory, it is not mandatory for them to be of a safety standard. However the CPSA recommend that they are safety and certified to EN166.

For FITASC events the wearing of safety glasses is mandatory, which for European manufacturers means EN166 or from the USA ANSI Z87 (Pills, Rangers etc).

Regards

Leigh

I was told that all Specsavers glasses are shatterproof glass. I reasoned that with my prescription the lenses are fairly thick too, so whilst not being totally safe from being shot in the face, I was probably pretty safe from the usual bits of flying clay.

. Any polycarbonate lens is going to be a useful protection against clay fragments or a 40 yard pellet . A CE certified lens isn’t going to be much use against being shot in the head with a 12 gauge .

Make your own minds up

The risk is the probability of occurrence weighted against consequence . No different from being at work .

Back