Shooting car

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are we assuming a £40k ish budget? 

If you really want 40mpg, none of the bigger 4X4's will quite deliver and at £40k you're talking used in any case. (I'm assuming you want new?)

If you're not a badge snob  (l am) but really want a 4X4 the Hyundai Santa Fe has got to be worth a look. However, if it's just a big estate you need but with 4X4 and comfort etc try the Skoda Superb. Both are well within the budget. 

Alternatively, hang on for a couple of months and pop a spangly new Discovery Sport on your drive. 

I'll be amazed if the Macan does 40 mpg, it's also likely that the boot will not be as big as you expect, same for the as yet untried X4, the Q5 is mostly driven by ladies and has a small boot and very sub 40 mpg.

Still, with your budget it would be rude not to buy the Porsche, the other makes such as Scoobydoo shouldn't even enter the frame.

ps. the thinking mans choice that would fulfil all the criteria would be the X3, it has beaten the Q5/RR Evoque/Rav/etc in magazine long term tests; it has true 40 mpg ability, boot as big as the X5 and impeccable build and reliability BUT the early ones were mostly bought by females and the new shape seems to attract retired couple clientele !
I was in a Porsche dealer on Wednesday, thinking about getting a new motor. Salesman told me "You won't see a Porsche Macan this side of 2016...." 

Anyway the "thinking man's" option(s) are the less obvious ones ie Audi Allroad/Skoda Superb Est/Kia Sorento/Hyundai Santa Fe (in both cases it's the same car in a different party frock) 

Me? I drive a Merc sports car for fun, the guns go in (in the hard case) and have an old Shogun, bought for peanuts for fun in the winter too :good:  

Have looked at Mitsubishi ASX, Subaru XV, Audi Q5, BMW X4, Porsche Macan and the new lexus NX, just curious what the general opinions were and no I haven't won the lottery... Yet

Not seen the Lexus, but I understand they are dynamically challenged (Autocar test recently) For me the BMW X4 or X6 are hideous and I'm not a fan of the Q5 but oddly I rather like the Porsche, long wait though as I mentioned a moment ago.

The others are what they are, solid dependable workhorse type cars. it's all very personal. From your list - Heart says Porsche head says Mitsubishi. 

VW TIGAUN, does all of that matt, and get DSG gearbox it will make your porker look slow off the lights. (as you can't afford the Turbo) £100,000 your having a laugh

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as flash as some but VW Tiguan 170PS turbo diesel 4x4 with full leather, big wheels, DSG gearbox and satnav and few other toys will push £40K new and return 40+ MPG

But what I would really buy (money no object) is an Audi RS4 Avant. Ultimate stealth ballistic missile :) With essential kit comes in at an eye watering £59K !! You can forget the 40+ mpg though !!

Now where are my lottery numbers?

DT

EDIT; posted same time as Chubby

Had a Kia Sportage from new for three years, great spec, 50+ mpg, tyres have lasted 40k on back 30 odd on front, it's 2wd but had no problems on snow, ice or mud. I have had bmw, Volvo etc if you can get past the badge its a great car.

A4 Allroad Quatro, 3lt TDI 245bhp 46+mpg all for less than £37,700 rrp...what's not to like like?

I have a 120 Sport and it goes like a rocket.  £30 Road Fund Tax and 43mpg driven hard. Its advertised mpg is a joke and not achievable. Gun has to be in its case if in the boot or with one back seat down if in a slip!  Mine is a Beretta plastic case and I put it in a slip when I get to the shoot - no problem! 
And in 1" of snow becomes a speed hump, totally immobile and undrivable .  

:santa:

And in 1" of snow becomes a speed hump, totally immobile and undrivable .  

So I buy a set of winter wheels & tyres but I bet I never need them with the sort of driving I do or I take the wife's mini instead!  How often is the west country paralysed by snow and I want to drive in it!

I would also have the Hyundai Sante Fe if I didn't't need 3.5 ton tow capacity, excellant looking cars, 7 year warranty, well equipped what's not to like.
We looked at the Santa Fe too,  nice car, but very agricultural  on starting the engine ...

You could look at the Hyundai terracan, V4 diesel, which supposedly is a merc lump

gets good reports for offroad and load lugging, but not to sure on longevity.

If you fancy a real hands on approach,  you could look at a Pajero

Anything with a Toyota badge on it will go on for ever and wont let you down the hilux is hard as nails and good for 300k . DONT buy anything made buy landrover it will break down it will cost a fortune to repair and you will regret it . Ps nothing French either

Two year wait for a Macan tells me it is a cracking car, chubby the Macan S diesel goes like stink! Do like the new disco sport but might run in to a similar issue with waiting lists. Might have a day doing test drives

Back