Shooting car

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm worried now, i bought a bmw 132d on Tuesday, picking it up from Cambridge Saturday, should I be taking my gun to see if it fits in the boot?

Allport, You might struggle in a 1 series unless the gun's taken down, or it's sub 30". I have a 6er and my gun only just fits into the boot diagonally. No issue across the back seat, or with a 28" barrel though.
You shoot at Cambridge Gun Club at all? I'm down the road in Royston...

Last edited by a moderator:
Volvo xc60 every time. All wheel drive 40+ to the gallon speeding tickets are extra...

Currently have Beemer M135i which will take all the shooting gear in the boot.

The Blaser Pro Sport used to fit in the open position in between shoots, added Muller chokes so now have to let one of the back seats down .

Subaru Outback H6, better load lugging than the Forester

Dont worry about fuel economy ....

19-20 town

20 - 28 motorway  ( but i reckon i could push this well past 30 )

Its about the same as  Mrs Santa's  Nissan   .

oh and it goes like sh*t off the proverbial

Full leather etc

BTW highly recommended in last Christmas's edition of The Field

:santa:

Ok have owned a subaru outback H6, fantastic car, quick and comfortable, didn't like the mpg or the stupid cost of spares, currently drive a bmw 323, drives well on the motorway but not ideal for most grounds I go to in winter and has limited space in the boot.

Have looked at Mitsubishi ASX, Subaru XV, Audi Q5, BMW X4, Porsche Macan and the new lexus NX, just curious what the general opinions were and no I haven't won the lottery... Yet

I'm worried now, i bought a bmw 132d on Tuesday, picking it up from Cambridge Saturday, should I be taking my gun to see if it fits in the boot?
I have a 120 Sport and it goes like a rocket.  £30 Road Fund Tax and 43mpg driven hard. Its advertised mpg is a joke and not achievable. Gun has to be in its case if in the boot or with one back seat down if in a slip!  Mine is a Beretta plastic case and I put it in a slip when I get to the shoot - no problem! 

My RR Sport will be available in November. THAT is what you need. Best all round car, with bias toward shooting I have ever had. :)

Audi A5 sportback Quattro diesel for me! Comfortable, good looking does 45 MPG easily 5 door, huge boot I'm 6'3" and I recon I could get in there and sleep!

Looked at the RR Sport, bit tasty at nearly £70k, the Porsche Macan is £43k and hits £50k when you add all the toys

Land rover discovery, best vehicle on the market. 3 litre bi turbo, 7 seats, 3.5 ton tow capacity, excellent off road, loads of boot space, not as flash as a range rover the list goes on and on. Newer ones are better on fuel, I have an old 3 series 2.7 single turbo, does 30 round town and 35 plus on motorway work, the newer ones are better than that as well. Trust me, drive one and you'll love it!

I'll be amazed if the Macan does 40 mpg, it's also likely that the boot will not be as big as you expect, same for the as yet untried X4, the Q5 is mostly driven by ladies and has a small boot and very sub 40 mpg.

Still, with your budget it would be rude not to buy the Porsche, the other makes such as Scoobydoo shouldn't even enter the frame.

ps. the thinking mans choice that would fulfil all the criteria would be the X3, it has beaten the Q5/RR Evoque/Rav/etc in magazine long term tests; it has true 40 mpg ability, boot as big as the X5 and impeccable build and reliability BUT the early ones were mostly bought by females and the new shape seems to attract retired couple clientele !

Buy a car that you WANT and can afford to run - not just a car that fits your guns is my advice. Mine just about fits my guns & kit in, does 18 miles to the gallon but every mile is damn good fun - the way it should be IMHO.

Land rover discovery, best vehicle on the market. 3 litre bi turbo, 7 seats, 3.5 ton tow capacity, excellent off road, loads of boot space, not as flash as a range rover the list goes on and on. Newer ones are better on fuel, I have an old 3 series 2.7 single turbo, does 30 round town and 35 plus on motorway work, the newer ones are better than that as well. Trust me, drive one and you'll love it!
had one of these (Disco 3), nice to drive until everything starts to fail on it and it seems each time it fails, it's the thick end of a grand.... Each time we took it back, the mechanic said 'oh yes, it's a pretty standard fault with these...' You are lucky with the mpg too, we used to get about 28mpg max!

had one of these (Disco 3), nice to drive until everything starts to fail on it and it seems each time it fails, it's the thick end of a grand.... Each time we took it back, the mechanic said 'oh yes, it's a pretty standard fault with these...' You are lucky with the mpg too, we used to get about 28mpg max!
I have a good non landrover mechanic to repair mine which has helped a lot, it did want a lot doing at it around the 100k mark, mines just gone over 155k and is still a dream to drive. The newer ones are supposed to be a lot better and ironed out a lot of the faults from the 3 with the 4 series.

:fie:  Well I've got to make do with an 330d,  47mpg  240bhp  but it will do till I come into the money? :hunter:

Latest posts

Back