Semi Autos?...Good, or Just Plain wrong?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger,

I understand what you are saying but I have never known a ground owner refuse to let a pump gun shooter have a shot.

There was a lad at Coniston recently with an extended

magazine and a pistol grip on a pump gun but he was a safe shot and he said his main gun was an English S/S.

He was just having a bit of fun with a different gun and that's what it's all about why should shooters try to stereotype others?

Most of the the people wearing camo gear are game shooters keeping their eye in. Makes sense to wear the gear you shoot in to practice....
I have to say that in my experience it is mainly the rough and game shooters who are not as safety conscious. There is one club near to me that seems to attract these shooters and it is getting a really bad reputation for safety issues.Fortunately no one has been seriously injured yet but there have been numerous near misses.

It has now come to the point where very few clay shooters go there.

I have done lots of rough shooting, pigeon shooting and game shooting over the years not to mention vermin control using both rimfire and centre fire rifles and yes I do wear camo and sometimes a face mask for this.

However when I see someone dressed head to foot in camo gear pull out a side by side at the local Sunday morning clay shoot the alarm bells start ringing.

Well I think perception is key here, people who don't know any better relate pump action shotguns to action movies and generally bad things. So when you add camo gear to the mix it makes the sport look like the main participants are raving lunatics that have action man complexes. Hardly the poster image we need. Now add several very public incidents with guns, Hungerford, Dunblane, Raul Moat etc and this perception of wannabe action men increases. What they don't see if the majority of how the sport is run.

Roger,

I understand what you are saying but I have never known a ground owner refuse to let a pump gun shooter have a shot.

There was a lad at Coniston recently with an extended

magazine and a pistol grip on a pump gun but he was a safe shot and he said his main gun was an English S/S.

He was just having a bit of fun with a different gun and that's what it's all about why should shooters try to stereotype others?
Neither have I Mike, however I have known one or two to be asked to leave because they weren't safe. I've shot at Coniston a few times, lovely ground!!

Well the CPSA rules have to stay within the UK firearms laws, and yes there may be exceptions like Elmer Fudd, BUT pump action shotguns should not be encouraged at clay shoots, I was at a shoot once when a guy dressed like Highlander turned up with a black Mossberg pump action, went in to the stand loaded it with 10 shells and said to the scorer, "just keep em coming!" Fortunately that was the only satnd he shot and was asked to leave the ground. Now some of you probably think he didn't really do much wrong, or you may even think that is funny, what I would say to you is this, just have a little think to youself why allowing guns that can hold more then 3 shots would be welcome on a clay ground and why its in all our interests to discourage them at clay shoots.

Couldn't care what you use is you are rough shooting, or shooting duck geese, but seriously just what kind of perception do we want to give our sport?

The scorer should not have let him load ten shots to be honest.

I've never shot Practical shotgun but some people enjoy it, I don't particulary like it myself and I was a big fan of Practical pistol when it was legal.

So we all should shoot an O/U and be dressed like a typical clayshooter then so that the general public will be happy enough to let us carry on making a noise and dropping tons of lead on the land?

We shoot a fitasc style 25 sporting at a local straw bailer on a Thursday night, the worst thing possible for autos and there's loads of them as its a wild fowlers fund raiser.  No cages to stop them swing around with it, and loads of time in between shooting, I steer well clear until they've gone.  No gun slips, all on slings and swivels, all stood with the butt on there foot in between shots.  They mostly all nice chaps, but I really do wonder how safe some of them are!

The scorer should not have let him load ten shots to be honest.

I've never shot Practical shotgun but some people enjoy it, I don't particulary like it myself and I was a big fan of Practical pistol when it was legal.

So we all should shoot an O/U and be dressed like a typical clayshooter then so that the general public will be happy enough to let us carry on making a noise and dropping tons of lead on the land?
Well 99% of people that shoot seem to manage it, and yes some of these actual know how to use a semi auto (3 shot version). Of course if you are happy for our sports perception to be represented by the 1% who like to dress like rambo and use a pump action then bully for you. I for one do not want to see teh sport I love to go the same way pistol shooting did.

I have to say that in my experience it is mainly the rough and game shooters who are not as safety conscious.

However when I see someone dressed head to foot in camo gear pull out a side by side at the local Sunday morning clay shoot the alarm bells start ringing.

I must say that I watch S/S shooters like a hawk, they are very good at muzzle sweeping a lot of other people.

One advantage of slings fitted to autos is that at least the muzzle is pointing at the sky instead of pointing somewhere else.

Absolutely agree with madmat public perception as mat says is the key. On a practical point of view why would you choose to shoot a single barrel with same chokes anyway ?

Mid eighties when i started they were quite popular with old folk and soft arses who were effected by recoil but we shot generally lighter guns then and 32g now this reason is not valid. So as Nichola says buy a proper gun. :)

Well 99% of people that shoot seem to manage it, and yes some of these actual know how to use a semi auto (3 shot version). Of course if you are happy for our sports perception to be represented by the 1% who like to dress like rambo and use a pump action then bully for you. I for one do not want to see teh sport I love to go the same way pistol shooting did.

You have to remember that in the publics eyes we are all gun owners I'm not particulary happy with the type of gun they choose but that's their personal choice.

In 1973 the British Government tried to ban semi autos and pump action shotguns and at the moment they are flying off the dealers shelves so what do you suggest then a ban at clay shoots for them.

The 1% as you say dress like Rambo are not seen at registered shoots but ground owners like them and they bring money in to other parts of the shooting chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to remember that in the publics eyes we are all gun owners I'm not particulary happy with the type of gun they choose but that's their personal choice.

In 1973 the British Government tried to ban semi autos and pump action shotguns and at the moment they are flying off the dealers shelves so what do you suggest then a ban at clay shoots for them.

The 1% as you say dress like Rambo are not seen at regitered shoots but ground owners like them and they bring money in to other parts of the shooting chain.
And they did ban all semi auto rifles with the exception of .22 after Hungerford and pistols after Dunblane. Funny old world we live in ,both of these psychopaths were in possession of firearms through blunders on the part of the Police but who ends up suffering because of it? Honest, responsible people who enjoy shooting.

I by the way do on occasion use a semi auto so do not want to see them banned, only used responsibly and with consideration for fellow shooters.

Most of the the people wearing camo gear are game shooters keeping their eye in. Makes sense to wear the gear you shoot in to practice....
:laugh: Game shooters do NOT wear camo :laugh: .....shudder the thought.

You may see rough shooters in camo...

Wildfowlers and people stalking might use it if wanting to blend in..... :wink: but 'game shots' .....NEVER.... well not on proper shoots :wink:

:laugh: Game shooters do NOT wear camo :laugh: .....shudder the thought.

You may see rough shooters in camo...

Wildfowlers and people stalking might use it if wanting to blend in..... :wink: but 'game shots' .....NEVER.... well not on proper shoots :wink:
What are you supposed to wear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the camo comment and game shooters, dont get much call for tweed and breeks where I shoot.:p

There is mention above of extended magazines on autos. These are held on firearms licence and it is an infringement of the firearms licence to use them at a clay shoot.

The 1% as you say dress like Rambo are not seen at registered shoots but ground owners like them and they bring money in to other parts of the shooting chain.
Can't see what value 1% would bring to any business, what really is so wrong with them wearing a pair of jeans and a tee shirt to go clay shooting? Leave the camo gear for when they do whatever they do in camo gear?

This time it won't be the British Government it will be the EU, there is already a motion in place to heavily restrict where lead shot can be used, so using stealth they make shooters use bismuth (or similar) which they know costs significantly more then lead shot, end result less people shoot, then they start to clamp down on gun ownership, governments don't like the public having firearms, just in case that same public decide to become a militia...

Do I have to wear brown shoes or black boots and what colour socks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back