Semi Autos?...Good, or Just Plain wrong?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought 3 semi auto's in an attempt to get to like these guns but they are not for me,no problem with anyone else using them bit of a pain when you have to wait around for people to collect all their litter but I will live with that,the one's I really cant see the point of is pump action they serve no purpose in sporting shooting at all they only add to shootings bad image largely down to our friends the yanks to a lot of town and city dwellers we are all a bunch of Rambo's running around with these things,i for one would gladly see the back of pumps.

I have seen more potentially fatal incidents with semi autos then I have with any other gun. In one incident a long time ago now the shooter lost count of the number of shells he had loaded while shooting skeet, after shooting station 7 pair he turned around to walk off the layout, 1st mistake, he didn't check the breech, 2nd mistake, he had the muzzle of the gun pointing at waist height, 3rd mistake, the gun went off, the shot went between 2 groups of people and took the tail light out on a land rover, shooter went very pale and didn't shoot for a few years.

The biggest issue for me is, inexperienced shooters who buy them and do not learn a) how to operate them properly and B) know what to do when it starts to play up, and yes this occasionally applies to s/s and o/u guns
Really?...OMG...your scaring me now, I'll be a bit wary now every time I go shooting just in case someone accidentally shoots me with one ! I was so conscious of my own safety protocol I forgot about watching out for other peoples :eek: ... I think I just went right off these type of guns, defiantly sticking with the O/U's now!

Really?...OMG...your scaring me now, I'll be a bit wary now every time I go shooting just in case someone accidentally shoots me with one ! I was so conscious of my own safety protocol I forgot about watching out for other peoples :eek: ... I think I just went right off these type of guns, defiantly sticking with the O/U's now!
ANY gun is only as safe as the person using it... gun safety is mostly common sense.

ANY gun is only as safe as the person using it... gun safety is mostly common sense.
Totally agree, but I was highlighting how easy it is to make a mistake, if they made a 2 shot only auto I would probably feel more at ease with them, but I still hate to see complete novices shooting them when they obviously don't know what they are doing with it.

Semi automatics are nice and light and don't kick much. Great for young people or people who need that. 

Maybe because I don't fully understand their workings - I am always extra cautious when I see someone on a stand with one near me.  I am slightly paranoid when I see one moving around without a breech flag.

BREECH FLAG!! Buy one and use it properly and give your fellow shooters a little peace of mind. Anyone using any equipment who doesn't know how to use it properly is a danger. Seen dangerous behaviour with all types of shotgun, it comes down to one thing the tit pulling the trigger..

the one's I really cant see the point of is pump action they serve no purpose in sporting shooting at all they only add to shootings bad image largely down to our friends the yanks to a lot of town and city dwellers we are all a bunch of Rambo's running around with these things,i for one would gladly see the back of pumps.
Pump action has always been popular with the military due mainly to their reliability in adverse conditions and flexibility with regards to cartridges.  But as you say, there's not really any good reasons for using them on clays.

I have bought 3 semi auto's in an attempt to get to like these guns but they are not for me,no problem with anyone else using them bit of a pain when you have to wait around for people to collect all their litter but I will live with that,the one's I really cant see the point of is pump action they serve no purpose in sporting shooting at all they only add to shootings bad image largely down to our friends the yanks to a lot of town and city dwellers we are all a bunch of Rambo's running around with these things,i for one would gladly see the back of pumps.
Seconded, along with camo clothing. IMO neither have any place at a clay shoot. Gives totally the wrong image.

Can't understand all the fuss regarding picking up spent cartridges, being let handed mine always end up on the floor due to collector being usually on the right. Who gives a ****? Never had a complaint yet.

Can't understand all the fuss regarding picking up spent cartridges, being let handed mine always end up on the floor due to collector being usually on the right. Who gives a ****? Never had a complaint yet.
If you ever shoot on a trap layout that is full of trap shooters you will certainly get a LOT of complaints about shoving your spent shells on the floor!

I had a go with a Remington pump gun last week on clays, good fun too :)

I don't see what shooting left handed has to do with it - when I have shot left handed I find it easy to hit the bin - easier than hitting the clays anyway.

self righteous claptrap!! there is no safer gun on a shooting ground than a semi auto flagged and in the gun slip

as for cartridges since when did the O/U crowd become without sin?

I remember the days when it was considered not the done thing or even  heresy to take an O/U on a game shooting day, such inane nonsense still prevails in the sport even today

I dont care what gun you use, or how you shoot it just as long as you shoot it safely.

I'm a lefty and manage to hit the bin ok. Cant stand rocking up to a stand littered with spent carts

I'm a lefty and manage to hit the bin ok. Cant stand rocking up to a stand littered with spent carts
I have seen a guy fall over due to a foot landing on a spent shell when he was walking, which of course acted like roller under his foot. I must say however, that it is unlikely that an auto user was responsible for the spent shells as it was on an OT layout!

Bins are usually moveable so being left handed is no excuse. Whether any ones complained or not it still shows a lack of consideration for the ground owners and other shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back