Semi Autos?...Good, or Just Plain wrong?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
self righteous claptrap!! there is no safer gun on a shooting ground than a semi auto flagged and in the gun slip

as for cartridges since when did the O/U crowd become without sin?

I remember the days when it was considered not the done thing or even  heresy to take an O/U on a game shooting day, such inane nonsense still prevails in the sport even today

I dont care what gun you use, or how you shoot it just as long as you shoot it safely.

Quite agree I believe that I posted something very similar earlier on in this thread.

Beretta 391 Urika 2 great guns! In over 30 years clay shooting have never seen anyone using an auto irresponsibly. Have seen plenty of game shooters walking around with horizontal closed o/u's and s/s's when bush beating!

Auto's are great competition guns but not everyone's "cup of tea" ... even if you decide against buying one it would be well worth learning how to use one, rest assured there will be a time when you come across someone in a stand in front of you who will not have a clue what they are doing with one if it jams or needs unloading safely!
Then walk away fast....just saying..!!

I would never step forward to help a stuck auto user or worst still someone new who does not know how to use it and is fiddling...or fumbling....run like hell I say....true story..!!

:laugh:

Emmsy said:
nowt wrong with pumps autos or camo at a clay shoot.

i notice most of the 'against' seem to be trappies :) says it all really ;)

as for safety ive seen a few bad things in the last 20 odd years but 90%+ have been from o/u or s/s shooters
I shoot any disciplines.....still hate autos :laugh:

As a sport that almost self regulates and teaches safety amongst its participants. Having it away on your toes when a fellow shooter is in trouble saddens me.

As a sport that almost self regulates and teaches safety amongst its participants. Having it away on your toes when a fellow shooter is in trouble saddens me.
Good for you...!

I have no responsibility to any auto users....get a proper gun...then I am always happy to help.

I like life toooo much..!!

Emmsy said:
nowt wrong with pumps autos or camo at a clay shoot.

i notice most of the 'against' seem to be trappies :) says it all really ;)

as for safety ive seen a few bad things in the last 20 odd years but 90%+ have been from o/u or s/s shooters
I'm not a Trappie and it was me that made the post. As for safety I've seen lots of issues in the 60 + years that I've been shooting involving all types of guns.

If shooting is to continue it must present a good image to the general public. Camo gear and pump action guns at a clay shoot most definitely do not do this.

I stepped in once when a young lad had real trouble co-ordinating his routine with a semi auto, others were tut tutting away unsure what to do but I helped him finish the stand being very careful he didn't do anything silly. I then spent some time with him trying to make him understand how important a safe routine was. The blame lied at least partly with whoever sold him the gun making sure that as a beginner he was made aware of best safe practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camo and pump actions, jesus christ, you are shooting little black disc's not storming the Iranian Embassy, if you want to play action man go and shoot paintballs!

And yes, auto are the safest gun when they have a breech flag, in a gun slip and if we are lucky still in the boot of the car... :)

Camo is not allowed at registered shoots but anywhere else it's allowed. The general public do not visit clay grounds normally so why comment on what a fellow shooter dresses like or what type of gun he uses.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Do I have to use a certain make of gun to be accepted into this elite club?

I stepped in once when a a young lad had real trouble co-ordinating his routine with a semi auto, others were tut tutting away unsure what to do but I helped him finish the stand being very careful he didn't do anything silly. I then spent some time with him trying to make him understand how important a safe routine was. The blame lied at least partly with whoever sold him the gun making sure that as a beginner he was made aware of best safe practice.
Nice one Hammy .A mate of mine did something silly with a semi auto way back. He let the bolt fly forward with his thumb in the loading port, the ejector claw went through his thumb nail and in to the flesh. He was screaming with pain, luckily there were three of us shooting that day so one of us held the gun whilst the other pulled the bolt back. He was in so much pain that he was sick. This was the worst accident that I have ever seen whilst shooting and although it happened over 40 years ago it still makes me VERY respectful of semi autos.

Its called etiquette, we choose to participate in a sport that does not have high levels of support and in some areas is considered a sport that has no place in the 21st century. What doesn't help are shooters turning up to shoots looking like rambo with a gun that was not and is not designed to shoot clays. Just imagine the fall out if a load of archery shooters turned up looking like a lost tribe of indians!

Camo is not allowed at registered shoots but anywhere else it's allowed. The general public do not visit clay grounds normally so why comment on what a fellow shooter dresses like or what type of gun he uses.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Do I have to use a certain make of gun to be accepted into this elite club?
Certainly not. It's surprising how many none shooters I see at clay grounds these days who have come along to see what it's all about or to 'have a go'.

Most of the the people wearing camo gear are game shooters keeping their eye in. Makes sense to wear the gear you shoot in to practice....

Its called etiquette, we choose to participate in a sport that does not have high levels of support and in some areas is considered a sport that has no place in the 21st century. What doesn't help are shooters turning up to shoots looking like rambo with a gun that was not and is not designed to shoot clays. Just imagine the fall out if a load of archery shooters turned up looking like a lost tribe of indians!
 Read the Rule Book , camo is not allowed at a registered shoot, but you are allowed to use a pump gun if you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Read the Rule Book , camo is not allowed at a registered shoot, but you are allowed to use a pump gun if you wish.
Quite right Mike but as we all know very few people do read the rules. I have seen some people use pump action guns to great effect at NSSA skeet. Isn't it a bit odd though that the very body that allows pump actions recently tried to ban release triggers?

What I do see a lot though on pump actions and semi autos are slings which are definitely not allowed at a registered shoot. Also most of the pump actions that I see have magazine extensions which makes them appear very Ramboish.

Certainly not. It's surprising how many none shooters I see at clay grounds these days who have come along to see what it's all about or to 'have a go'.

At one of my local grounds there is an old bloke who dresses up like Elmer Fudd and uses a pump gun to shoot a few clays, he even carries a game bag. He's safe enough, nice to talk to also and he enjoys himself too.

Non shooters are also made to feel welcome too.

Well the CPSA rules have to stay within the UK firearms laws, and yes there may be exceptions like Elmer Fudd, BUT pump action shotguns should not be encouraged at clay shoots, I was at a shoot once when a guy dressed like Highlander turned up with a black Mossberg pump action, went in to the stand loaded it with 10 shells and said to the scorer, "just keep em coming!" Fortunately that was the only satnd he shot and was asked to leave the ground. Now some of you probably think he didn't really do much wrong, or you may even think that is funny, what I would say to you is this, just have a little think to youself why allowing guns that can hold more then 3 shots would be welcome on a clay ground and why its in all our interests to discourage them at clay shoots.

Couldn't care what you use is you are rough shooting, or shooting duck geese, but seriously just what kind of perception do we want to give our sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back