Semi Autos?...Good, or Just Plain wrong?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of mixed feelings about them then, and tbh I was just tiping my toe in the water, I do have a few small concerns which some of you obviously seem to share. One of mine was, having learned one safety protocol with one type of gun till it is almost a habit, I would then have to learn a completely new one, you have to learn these things so you almost do them on auto pilot, almost without thinking so it becomes 2nd nature , I have got the safe handling of an ordinary over and under down to a T now, throwing another type in the mix might not be a good thing I suppose

. As for the catridge eticate, I think that is more down to the people rather than the gun, they could always add one of those litter pickers to the kit if they don't like bending down, I personaly would like a gun that I could switch off the ejector or one with no ejector at all, I used a gun during my lessons and the ejector was not working so well for some reason, it just popped the cartridges out slightly, yet I found that a great deal easier to control, and less to think about after I had fired the shot, just pick em out, pop them in the bin, they'er not to hot to handle or anything. So not a fan of ejectors really, especially as I was not so great at catching them tbh. Found it awkward.

I think I will stick to my original plan of going for a good quality used Miroku O/U. (apprently, you can switch off the ejector as well, that would be a bonus, but it is not my main concern, wont let a good one go if it doesnt allow that).

You want to go and shoot an auto shoot 3 clays in the air!!! (Bloody brilliant ) but it would be only a bennelli or a berretta for me, they are the best auto's on the market.

I've shot with the ugb25 beretta that was lovely till it all came loose break open semi that discharges spent carts down and forward

Don't discount the new Fabarm xlr, bought one a few months back and it has performed without fault. The internals are polished and plated like a Swiss watch.

A lot of mixed feelings about them then, and tbh I was just tiping my toe in the water, I do have a few small concerns which some of you obviously seem to share. One of mine was, having learned one safety protocol with one type of gun till it is almost a habit, I would then have to learn a completely new one, you have to learn these things so you almost do them on auto pilot, almost without thinking so it becomes 2nd nature , I have got the safe handling of an ordinary over and under down to a T now, throwing another type in the mix might not be a good thing I suppose . As for the catridge eticate, I think that is more down to the people rather than the gun, they could always add one of those litter pickers to the kit if they don't like bending down, I personaly would like a gun that I could switch off the ejector or one with no ejector at all, I used a gun during my lessons and the ejector was not working so well for some reason, it just popped the cartridges out slightly, yet I found that a great deal easier to control, and less to think about after I had fired the shot, just pick em out, pop them in the bin, they'er not to hot to handle or anything. So not a fan of ejectors really, especially as I was not so great at catching them tbh. Found it awkward. I think I will stick to my original plan of going for a good quality used Miroku O/U. (apprently, you can switch off the ejector as well, that would be a bonus, but it is not my main concern, wont let a good one go if it doesnt allow that).
not heard that any of the miroku have selectable edjectors the browning gp that i have is maybe the one you are thinking of it has a selectable system in the forend and like u say ive used it at clay grounds to stop carts being ejected aswell as slowing me down between shots . but on a flush its back on with them and let the carts fly :hunter:

Last edited by a moderator:
Midnight Minstrel, I think that as a beginner you are making things far too complicated for yourself. Decide on a gun and get out there and shoot it. There is plenty of time to try other things later on. Once you get in to the shooting you will find plenty of people who are prepared to help.

Mind you if you have decided on a Miroku I would be very surprised if you have reason to regret it, they last for years.

Midnight Minstrel, I think that as a beginner you are making things far too complicated for yourself. Decide on a gun and get out there and shoot it. There is plenty of time to try other things later on. Once you get in to the shooting you will find plenty of people who are prepared to help.
Mind you if you have decided on a Miroku I would be very surprised if you have reason to regret it, they last for years.

WHAT HE SAID... :D

Gas autos such as Beretta are softer on recoil but harder to clean than the recoil operated autos such as Benelli.

I don't think anyone has designed a successful cartridge catcher that works with more than one cartridge,although attempts have been made. They look awful and may upset the balance of the gun.

I have used an auto for most of my clay shooting for many years and they are increasingly popular as the clay shooting population seems to be getting older.

As far as cleaning goes there is not much in it.One less barrel and choke in exchange for the gas system on a gas auto.They are more difficult to take apart/rebuild but that's only practice.

As for safety,there is a right way to carry one and because it is in its slip doesn't make it safe.I'll worry about it when all break open guns are handled correctly.

As for picking up empty cases,yes that is a bone of contention and where possible I pick mine up using a telescopic stick.It is not possible to pick them up if they are out of bounds beyond a roped off area or if,for example in a competition,the next shooter is ready to shoot. Most ground owners I have mentioned the subject to say don't worry about but of course,they want your business.

When all break open gun users pick up their empties,I might lose some sleep over it.

Vic.

The shells being thrown around are a small issue because at the end of the shoot they can all be retrieved and binned. If you want to worry about litter think of the lead your O/U scatters around the countryside every time you go out  :wink:  .

I have had two Beretta semi autos and a Remington but just can't shoot them as well as heavy O/U guns, like others have said the shuffle action is a bit off putting and don't like the scorching blow backs much either.

Yeah..I think your right, I've always been the same whenever I've taken something up tbh :)

Last edited by a moderator:
not heard that any of the miroku have selectable edjectors the browning gp that i have is maybe the one you are thinking of it has a selectable system in the forend and like u say ive used it at clay grounds to stop carts being ejected aswell as slowing me down between shots . but on a flush its back on with them and let the carts fly :hunter:
Hmm, yeah, just looked back at the Miroku's..non of them have switchable ejectors, but I've looked at loads of others, obviously got it mixed up with one of them, probably that browning you mentioned.

Personally, I hate em, especially in DTL or STR where you keep getting hit by them from the person to your left. Once I have found the correct feet placement at my stand, I don't like to move until all 5 shots have been taken, so I have to duck all the time.

It is rare you meet the responsible user with a magnetic stick picking up after the shoot either.

I have seen some awesome skeet shooters using them though!

Wez

www.wezmoto.co.uk

They do have their uses, 3 1/2 inches of 50 gram goose loads and I had one as a hide gun for decoying, quicker to load in a hide without demolishing your camo net :) they can be a bit fussy on cartridges especially the lighter loads in short cases. Mine had to have true 2 3/4 inch shells as it kept jamming with 2 1/2 inchers

For clays I much prefer an O/U, not fussy with cartridges and if recoil is a problem the emergence and improvement of recoil systems like the Isis or Danuser brings it down to around auto levels anyway, shoot 21g and you cant feel them. You can also be hampered with only 1 barrel on a sporting shoot, a 10yrd rabbit followed by a 60 yrd boomer for instance. A compromise is needed in choke selection rather than screwing a cylinder and a full in.

I would also caution against the new shooter getting one, purely from a safety point of view, they do take a bit of getting used to and its just another thing to think about rather than just breaking the clay :)  

A lot of mixed feelings about them then, and tbh I was just tiping my toe in the water, I do have a few small concerns which some of you obviously seem to share. One of mine was, having learned one safety protocol with one type of gun till it is almost a habit, I would then have to learn a completely new one, you have to learn these things so you almost do them on auto pilot, almost without thinking so it becomes 2nd nature , I have got the safe handling of an ordinary over and under down to a T now, throwing another type in the mix might not be a good thing I suppose

. As for the catridge eticate, I think that is more down to the people rather than the gun, they could always add one of those litter pickers to the kit if they don't like bending down, I personaly would like a gun that I could switch off the ejector or one with no ejector at all, I used a gun during my lessons and the ejector was not working so well for some reason, it just popped the cartridges out slightly, yet I found that a great deal easier to control, and less to think about after I had fired the shot, just pick em out, pop them in the bin, they'er not to hot to handle or anything. So not a fan of ejectors really, especially as I was not so great at catching them tbh. Found it awkward.

I think I will stick to my original plan of going for a good quality used Miroku O/U. (apprently, you can switch off the ejector as well, that would be a bonus, but it is not my main concern, wont let a good one go if it doesnt allow that).
Auto's are great competition guns but not everyone's "cup of tea" ... even if you decide against buying one it would be well worth learning how to use one, rest assured there will be a time when you come across someone in a stand in front of you who will not have a clue what they are doing with one if it jams or needs unloading safely!

Think i have touched this subject before but many scotches in now so will say it again what's the point in them ?

I hate them !

I have seen more potentially fatal incidents with semi autos then I have with any other gun. In one incident a long time ago now the shooter lost count of the number of shells he had loaded while shooting skeet, after shooting station 7 pair he turned around to walk off the layout, 1st mistake, he didn't check the breech, 2nd mistake, he had the muzzle of the gun pointing at waist height, 3rd mistake, the gun went off, the shot went between 2 groups of people and took the tail light out on a land rover, shooter went very pale and didn't shoot for a few years.

The biggest issue for me is, inexperienced shooters who buy them and do not learn a) how to operate them properly and B) know what to do when it starts to play up, and yes this occasionally applies to s/s and o/u guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back