renewal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am impressed because Ips and I find it difficult to do these types of things and he has conquered it and it really depends what you are trying to impress me with as to whether I am easily impressed or not as the case may be  :p
Probably a flash in the pan!

I renewed mine in April. SWP sent me a reminder in January, I filled it all out INCLUDING a photo copy of the existing cert and a cheque for £49. they cashed the cheque two days after receiving my application and then they sat on their arses and did NOTHING.

It was only when I started prompting them a week before my cert was due to expire that they finally did something, and even then they cocked it up.

Out of curiosity, why are you sending your existing cert away ????  I thought it was an offence not to be able to produce the cert when asked to. I still have all of my old certs and the photos show what a handsome bugger I really am

:angel: :angel:      
That's odd that you have your old certs as we are both in the same force area I sent in a photocopy of my existing cert etc at renewal and they requested my old cert be sent in to them once the new one had arrived which came without hitch or prompt they did turn up unannounced to check everything early on a Saturday morning which was slightly annoying but the only thing they cocked up was the renewal of my European Firearms pass which runs concurrent with my SGC but after a phone call it was in the post next day.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as above with TVP. Photocopy with renewal form, and old one to be sent in when new one arrived.

Reading this is really annoying , because the various Constabularies are obviously making Law to suit themselves, hence the cock ups and delays.

You do not have to send in your old certificate, you never have to surrender your old certificate.

If your circumstances have not changed since your last visit by an FLO , why can they not renew the day after banking your cheque? It only requires them to press PRINT whilst viewing your details on screen?

Also please be aware that if you are issued with a Section 7 certificate whilst awaiting a delayed renewal , it only allows you to secure your gun at home , it is not a certificate to use your gun or buy cartridges. Many forces do not like to issue Sect 7's as it is traceable by the Home Office and can be considered a measure of the Forces inefficiency. If they can issue a Sect 7 , they could have issued a renewal.

I have just applied for renewal sent on Tuesday reply Friday saying received and they will be with me within 5 weeks..is it my imagination that it used to be a couple of pages not 15! although i think i binned 6 as it is a firearms/shotgun form now.

lets just hope they ring this time as  i think the officer who came last time was rather shocked to have me open the door in my underpants...almost as shocked as i was to see her at the door!

Reading this is really annoying , because the various Constabularies are obviously making Law to suit themselves, hence the cock ups and delays.

You do not have to send in your old certificate, you never have to surrender your old certificate.

If your circumstances have not changed since your last visit by an FLO , why can they not renew the day after banking your cheque? It only requires them to press PRINT whilst viewing your details on screen?

Also please be aware that if you are issued with a Section 7 certificate whilst awaiting a delayed renewal , it only allows you to secure your gun at home , it is not a certificate to use your gun or buy cartridges. Many forces do not like to issue Sect 7's as it is traceable by the Home Office and can be considered a measure of the Forces inefficiency. If they can issue a Sect 7 , they could have issued a renewal.
It should be one piece of paper to fill in if nothing has changed post the new cert out. Make it ten years and halve their workload. We are treated like criminals. I am also convinced that the systems they have in police cars that read no plates imediately flashes up in bright fluorescent orange letters Gun Owner. I'v been stopped a few times on a weekend and asked where I'm going and have I got guns on board.

there is no doubt in my mind that you are correct rosso. Also any "domestic" incident or any other type of crime reported in your street and armed responce will attend or at the very least be on stand by, your every move as a firearms certificate holder will in effect be monitored Imo.

regarding time for renewal, I read it now that even if you state NO to any medical issues your GP will be contacted to confirm so surely this will take time as GPs have more pressing things to deal with. At the end of the day its only every five years, only costs fifty quid and will get done eventually so it ain't no big deal Imo.

Back