Registered Competitions Prize Money

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no way imo that entries are affected by bo or comp or how much prize money is on offer. Furthermore anyone who does it for the pitifully small amount to be won is in the wrong sport. Chucking a fiver in the pot is merely an incentive and a bit of fun bit like betting your mate your score is higher for a bacon sarnie. No one seriously gives a stuff about the money surely, or is it just me that likes to be able to go home and tell the Mrs that i won without her saying how much. Winning is all that matters as that is the point of competition.

I recall listening to a guy at a shoot last year really wingeing about the poor money paid at the shoot and how he probably wouldn't be back. He finished 8th in B class that day..

I always enter the Classic.

Got no chance of beating the big boys.

It's nice to be there. Experience it.

Do well. Hit more than I miss.

Have a laugh and joke at lunch.

There is one miserable glum looking top shot at most of the shoots I go to.

Just sitting there on his own.

Doesn't want any distractions by talking to some one.

Happy chappy he is not.

Pot hunter yes he is.

And he wins.

come on you have been in cookoo land if you have not seen the entry cost rise and the payback stagnate ?? I would like to feel it was fair but I have been having several doubts over the past decade ......

come on you have been in cookoo land if you have not seen the entry cost rise and the payback stagnate ?? I would like to feel it was fair but I have been having several doubts over the past decade ......
As in earlier post Clynt, do we feel grounds have "paid back" in other ways? Better facilities etc? Even when I started in 2005 lots of shoots were really rough in terms of facilities. Rotting portacabin. Buckets for toilets etc. The more modern standards do need funding and may make spare cash for prizes harder to find. As I say, I'm a relative newbie, so just asking the old school for the real picture.

As in earlier post Clynt, do we feel grounds have "paid back" in other ways? Better facilities etc? Even when I started in 2005 lots of shoots were really rough in terms of facilities. Rotting portacabin. Buckets for toilets etc. The more modern standards do need funding and may make spare cash for prizes harder to find. As I say, I'm a relative newbie, so just asking the old school for the real picture.
point taken there Will but have never ever gone to grounds for their ambiance and club house ( although some are very nice ) but for me it's about target quality and a fair return for my hard earned dosh haha  

point taken there Will but have never ever gone to grounds for their ambiance and club house ( although some are very nice ) but for me it's about target quality and a fair return for my hard earned dosh haha
Agreed. I think the nice facilities probably go down better with newcomers. I took a newbie mate to EJC the other day. He had only previously been to a local place in Banbury area and he said his wife refused to go there, but would happily come to EJC. So maybe the sport has to move on for the future growth? But comes at a cost to experienced competitors?

20 shoots per year = £100 extra if you can not afford that it's sad ,and time you found another sport ! pick up a couple of place wins and it's down to less than £50

Deershooter

Trouble is, it's hard not to keep score. When I was at top of previous class, I definitely got a lot more than my £5 fees back. Now up a class, I'm not counting but its almost certainly not going to pay back yet..

Well in trap the only thing that has changed in the last 30 years is less grounds less shooters therefore less prize fund. Afaik the prize entry ie your extra fiver is or rather should all go back to the shooters and none to the ground. If this is not the case then your being robbed as the ground make there money from the entry fee not the additional pot.

I agree with Clynt, I would rather shoot brilliant targets in a ploughed field than shoot crap targets with a palace for a clubhouse! :fie:

Well in trap the only thing that has changed in the last 30 years is less grounds less shooters therefore less prize fund. Afaik the prize entry ie your extra fiver is or rather should all go back to the shooters and none to the ground. If this is not the case then your being robbed as the ground make there money from the entry fee not the additional pot.
It's easy to work out. If 100 entries all paying £5.00 more than birds only.

That's £500 in the prize pot.

If that amount is not distributed.

Then they can be questioned as to where its gone.

Use the same system as pool shoots where everyone knows what their getting percentage wise.

Example:- every 20 shooters. £20 is paid out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some grounds are still very crappy very basic as they were years ago and charge the same money as the top grounds.

That may be where the injustice lies.

I think its fare to say that if you want golf style club house you will have to pay a premium. We want clean and warm and dry club house but above all we want regulation targets from good covered layouts.

The above from a trap perspective.

I think its fare to say that if you want golf style club house you will have to pay a premium. We want clean and warm and dry club house but above all we want regulation targets from good covered layouts.

The above from a trap perspective.
Not always true Ian.

EJ Churcill 100 sport reg. Is same price as shoots with crappy facilities.

This ground is prob best in the country.

Bisley is another top area to shoot. Fantastic cafe. Under cover. Last time I shot it £7.00 / 25 skeet dtl ball trap etc.

That was a while ago.

IMO.

You are correct there are exceptions as you rightly point out.

I also agree with Clynt its about targets not the club House

I agree with Clynt, I would rather shoot brilliant targets in a ploughed field than shoot crap targets with a palace for a clubhouse! :fie:
So do you get more prize money for crappy facilities with excellent targets?If a shoot puts on poor targets good facilities or not, shooters vote with there feet.

Word gets around especially on forums like this.

It happened at a very well known ground in the South.

Crapp targets, traps breaking down all the time, etc.

It's taken me 3 months to go back and see if its any good.

They upped there game stopped taking the *iss out of the customers.

It's now really good again.

I have a copy of the CPSA rules from bygone days where (how I understood) it said the H/G monies were a donated prize by a sponsor or who ever, and all the class monies should stay in the classes.....and as the H/G prize was sponsored any shooter taking part was eligible to win said prize incl B/O shooters. 

Now at some time long ago this was changed, why we can only speculate  :fie: my personal view was it was the ground who gave this prize (from their running costs) to induce top shots to frequent their grounds ?

So now it appears that as long as the grounds payback the difference between B/O and COMP (what ever they choose amount wise) our overlords say that is fine !

this is undoubtedly to allocate for grounds differing incomes and out goings ? but this can massively reduce the class payout when this system operates especially on low entry levels.

£5 back from £38 is aprx 13% which is on the light side but if you take out the H/G this can and normally does drop back to 9% or lower even lower on a average of 100 entries !!!

those of us who shoot regularly have seen and heard the pro's and cons but seldom do we see payouts trebled when entries have trebled but have seen the payouts plumet when entries are low ...nobody expects anyone to produce shoots for nowt but I for one think it could be a little fairer return wise ?  

Latest posts

Back