Recoil problem

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are fast cartridges that don’t thump the shoulder, by a longer burning propellant. Cheap propellant burns very fast and makes a “spike” recoil load. I recall using Eley Superbs years ago and I spoke to the Eley technical bloke. He said in poor light, you can see sparks out of the muzzle as the burn is gradual and still happening. In contrast, the cheaper old Olympic Trap cartridges had a real snap feel. 

Just wanted to see what your views are on how to minimise recoil. I'm a fairly slight guy, 5'4". I've been using 28g shell and finding myself with bruises at the end of a shoot. Just wondered whether it's my technique, or 28g is too much? Any tips? 
Gun dont fit you, go for a gun fitting. 👍

Thank you. I shoot a 30 inch F3 Blaser. Gun fit is pretty good. Yes a good instructor would be great, and I will contact her. 
Americans have complained for years about heavy recoil with the F3 but I've shot several and never found it to be an issue, so even though you seem happy wit the fit, I suggest Ben's probably right about fit/mount.

As for fibre shells, they have more propellant than plastic, all other things being equal, so there will be more recoil but it still shouldn't cause bruising.

I've never been convinced about the value of squidgy butt pads either. I shot for years with hard plastic ones and my current CG sporter has a pretty stiff pad made of sorbo or similar material but I've never been knocked about by the gun despite being old and slim. 🥲

I do agree Blasers don’t soak up recoil well compared to some. I changed cartridge to something smoother when I started using mine.

Thank you all. Didn't know it would generate so much discussion! 

I'm getting bruised just below my collar bone.

I had my f3 custom fitted, and happy with it. It's probably how I mount and my technique that's the problem?

Speaking of which if you know any good coaches near London, do let me know. I know there are lots of good coaches outside London but travel might be an issue. 

I suspect that the bruised parts are in contact with the stock and other parts of you less so. More contact surface will spread the pressure from recoil. Have someone film you as you shoot, as for many people what they think do when mounting or demonstrating their mount, is not the same a what they actually do when shooting.

If that is the issue you can find hopefully an extra pad to shape, or a wedge to insert so that you "angle" the butt pad differently to create more contact overall when mounted (as you would shoot).

Perhaps the Pitch of your stock should be adjusted.

But someone experienced has to check your gun mount as mentionend before.

For what it’s worth I agree with all the supporters of gunfit and or mount being reviewed . 
However I also think for the money you spend on Power Gold there are a lot nicer to shoot clay cartridges with a similar spec and price point  . I’m not saying they are uncomfortable per se , but they are thumpy .
Have a look a Gamebore Blue Diamond , it has the Gordon System case head , I’ve shot it , and my favourite Game cartridges are Black Gold 30 and 32 Gramme fibre with the same head very pokey and very easy on the shoulder . 

I had my f3 custom fitted, and happy with it. It's probably how I mount and my technique that's the problem?

Speaking of which if you know any good coaches near London, do let me know. I know there are lots of good coaches outside London but travel might be an issue. 
I can assure u it doesn’t fit. Custom or not. 

please message me via social media. 

I've just gone through the new gun fitting bit with my daughter.

She had grown-up and over time had compensated for the gun fitting her at 16 but not at 22.

More cast on the gun and adjustable comb was required having first found a gun already cast to suit a lady in the first place.

I learned a few things,

• I thought I knew quite a bit but found I knew very little - it is an art as well as science.
  • I was surprised that the pitch & then cast at the heel and toe mattered a lot and the cast required at the comb was different (slightly less).
  • It was worth the 400 miles or so getting the right gun and then alterations.
  • There were quite a few problems with her technique but they disappeared as the gun fit got better. My daughter was worried it would take her time adjusting but it didn't, albeit there is still a little work to do.
  • You can't do it yourself.
  • Your mate (or father) can't do it for you.
  • She now loves the gun.
  • Dropping to 24g or 21g just reduces a problem - if it disappears its a minor problem but its still there.

At the end of the day a few £100's getting the gun right makes the £1,000's a year we spend on clay's and cartridges much better value. If you have bought an F3 you have the money get it fitted right.

Get someone like Ben to fit it (other, smaller, gun fitters, are available). Shoot it. If its still a problem get it fitted again - your technique may have changed, for the better, from the first fitting.

And finally - Custom guns are made for you at that 'fitting'. They should be right but sometimes are not for various reasons. I have heard more than one gunsmith talk about changing such guns to get them to fit at a later date.

I've just gone through the new gun fitting bit with my daughter.

She had grown-up and over time had compensated for the gun fitting her at 16 but not at 22.

More cast on the gun and adjustable comb was required having first found a gun already cast to suit a lady in the first place.

I learned a few things,

• I thought I knew quite a bit but found I knew very little - it is an art as well as science.
  • I was surprised that the pitch & then cast at the heel and toe mattered a lot and the cast required at the comb was different (slightly less).
  • It was worth the 400 miles or so getting the right gun and then alterations.
  • There were quite a few problems with her technique but they disappeared as the gun fit got better. My daughter was worried it would take her time adjusting but it didn't, albeit there is still a little work to do.
  • You can't do it yourself.
  • Your mate (or father) can't do it for you.
  • She now loves the gun.
  • Dropping to 24g or 21g just reduces a problem - if it disappears its a minor problem but its still there.

At the end of the day a few £100's getting the gun right makes the £1,000's a year we spend on clay's and cartridges much better value. If you have bought an F3 you have the money get it fitted right.

Get someone like Ben to fit it (other, smaller, gun fitters, are available). Shoot it. If its still a problem get it fitted again - your technique may have changed, for the better, from the first fitting.

And finally - Custom guns are made for you at that 'fitting'. They should be right but sometimes are not for various reasons. I have heard more than one gunsmith talk about changing such guns to get them to fit at a later date.
My mate the lady, went to Midland Gun Services to have a stock made to fit her F3 it took two trips, one for having a stock made to fit her while she was there and the second visit was to pick the finished stock up and check that everything was spot on.

Quite a bit of time was spent shooting at a pattern plate to make sure the gun shot where she looked, she enjoyed the time spent having it done and can now shoot with no bruising or pain at all.

Cheryl Hall is doing London based coaching now. Book her via her website https://www.cherylhall.co.uk/. Cheryl is a brilliant analyst of what you are doing wrong, both for fit and in the actual shooting. With me she pulled up that my gun was too heavy for me, giving me a very slow ponderous swing through style. Change of gun and shooting was way more fun. 

I have always been adverse to recoil, I don't want to develop flinch. I use an Isis recoil pad and feel nothing, even with  36g game cartridges. I have an X-Pad. They are a bit of a song and dance to get hold of but well worth the money. Some recoil pads are not very good. 

Cheryl Hall is doing London based coaching now. Book her via her website https://www.cherylhall.co.uk/. Cheryl is a brilliant analyst of what you are doing wrong, both for fit and in the actual shooting. With me she pulled up that my gun was too heavy for me, giving me a very slow ponderous swing through style. Change of gun and shooting was way more fun. 

I have always been adverse to recoil, I don't want to develop flinch. I use an Isis recoil pad and feel nothing, even with  36g game cartridges. I have an X-Pad. They are a bit of a song and dance to get hold of but well worth the money. Some recoil pads are not very good. 
Guns weight will not effect swing speed if you swing correctly. Recoil pads are much of a muchness kick eez by far the most consistent and dont cause bounce 

I have guns with a factory roll over parallel off set cast. This is a great set up as it pretty much eliminates slap.

Pad. The ISIS x pad, Kick eeze double action are both excellent with no bounce. 

Interesting ! A friend was shooting HULL Intercomps 24 gm fibre and the recoil on his shoulder was visibly dreadful , gunfit was very good but thump was not nice to see.

My thoughts - I’m an “older lady” (veteran), 4’11” and not too heavy and shoot a K80 parcours 32” with RC2 and RC4 28 g. First thing I had done was a “proper” fitting with Ben, stock cut down, Kick Eeze pad put on and can honestly say I’ve never had a recoil problem, it balances so well, I’ve had lots of men ask me/Phil how I handle or manage a “big” gun and when I let them hold it they cannot believe how light and well balanced it feels. So, I suppose same as most people replying to you, it’s the gun fit, not the cartridges. Get that sorted first, you’ll be suprised the difference that one thing will make. Good luck.

It is gun fit , it is gun mount, it is numerous things. Faster cartridges will kick more, an over and under will kick more than a gas semi auto (I have both), but does it really matter, or is it all in the head. I always use the largest gram possible, more lead more chance philosophy. Personally i'm not bothered with recoil, otherwise i could take up archery. Most clay shooters now days are using guns well over 8 pounds so i cant see why any 28 gram cartridge would be a problem.

A few years ago, my wife was having issues with recoil and having tried several pads incuding Kickeeze, I bought an ISIS Green X pad, brilliant, problem solved. Looking back, we should have had a one and half hour run to see Ben in sunny Leicester and him sort it or at least check it out. hey ho

Latest posts

Back