Recoil problem

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK82

Just wanted to see what your views are on how to minimise recoil. I'm a fairly slight guy, 5'4". I've been using 28g shell and finding myself with bruises at the end of a shoot. Just wondered whether it's my technique, or 28g is too much? Any tips? 

Just wanted to see what your views are on how to minimise recoil. I'm a fairly slight guy, 5'4". I've been using 28g shell and finding myself with bruises at the end of a shoot. Just wondered whether it's my technique, or 28g is too much? Any tips? 
If everything is in your favour, then 28g shells should be fine for you. (Although some are far softer on the shoulder than others, so I assume something sensible). For sure, your gun fit is a big deal. If the butt is making partial contact with you the effect is exaggerated. So make sure that’s good above all else.  Also get a decent recoil pad. Many guns have them as standard, but a 15+ mm soft pad is needed. ISIS green are my favourite. If you have a hard pad it’s not great. But try 24g shells also. They are very good and unless you’re trying to be British Champ are no disadvantage 

I’d echo everything Will said above….I really struggled with recoil when I first started, so I knocked off with 21g, then moved to 24g and now use 28g just fine. Gun fit is very important though, as is a decent recoil pad and a cartridge that’s not renowned for being thumpy! Isis green pads are indeed very good and when I last bought one the service was excellent. 

Thank you both. Could you suggest some good soft 28g shells? 

To start with tell us about the gun and where you get bruised. IMO your size and physique don't matter much. I'm pretty slim too but I've never suffered from bruising.

This could be gun fit or gun weight or technique or a combination of issues and we can only offer things for you to try. By far the best option is to see a good instructor who will diagnose the problem on the spot.

As you're in the south east I would suggest contacting Cheryl Hall via FB.

Try 24 gram cartridges in Hull Comp X and Express now do a 24gram low recoil cartridge. I have used both through my AyA 26" barrel S x S recently and although the gun has no recoil pad fitted, I was not aware of any recoil. I shot 50 skeet, without a break in between and I suffer with neck shoulder issues.

As above Hull CompX are one of the well know cartridges low recoil. I don’t think they do them in 24g but they do (or certainly did) make them in both 21g and 28g 7.5s and 9s. There are other brands that do low recoil but these are the ones I’ve used.

I also find that Eley Select plastics (and fibre) are fairly mild recoil wise even in 28g but I think these are available in 21g and 24g as well in a range of shot sizes if your RFD has them. 

To start with tell us about the gun and where you get bruised. IMO your size and physique don't matter much. I'm pretty slim too but I've never suffered from bruising.

This could be gun fit or gun weight or technique or a combination of issues and we can only offer things for you to try. By far the best option is to see a good instructor who will diagnose the problem on the spot.

As you're in the south east I would suggest contacting Cheryl Hall via FB.
Thank you. I shoot a 30 inch F3 Blaser. Gun fit is pretty good. Yes a good instructor would be great, and I will contact her. 

If you go on Hull cartridge web site and look at the specifications they all have a fair bit of recoil.

Eley Select are a good load in 24gm either fibre or plastic.

I used to shoot an F3 and found that the recoil was not pleasant at all.

At my age I need a soft shell and they are not sh*t, try some.🙂

Doesn't that prove it's more about gun fit than cartridge 
Probably, but I know a few shooter like the punch of a "fast" cartridge, I cannot understand why. One of my mates is a girl who shoots an F3, until she had a stock made to for her she used to get her cheek thumped a bit, £1500 later job sorted.

Likely a technique and fit issue, as nearly everyone suggests. But it is helpful to know where you bruise to suggest what may work. If you are bruising your cheekbone, it is certainly fit and mount. If you are bruising where the stock touches your shoulder, it could still be gun fit, but maybe all that is needed is a better pad or a slight alteration to pitch. 

Fit-wise, there should be as much contact between the butt and the 'nap' between your shoulder and chestmuscles as possible. If you then have firm contact between the comb and your cheek (and are seeing the proper sight picture), you are good to go. If you shoot pre-mounted, this should be fairly easy. If you shoot from an unmounted position, practice, practice and practice until you get the mount consistently correct.

Also consider how much you shoot and how accustomed you are to shooting. When I first started 3 boxes would have me rubbing my shoulder, over time that all went away. Make sure your fit is proper and that you mount correctly, and don't worry about the shells. If it is a bother, shoot 24 grams until you have your gun fit and mount sorted: 4 grams less of shot doesn't likely effect your scores in a significant way, whereas worrying and flinching for recoil will impact your routine, your scores and may instill the wrong habits. 

I can fit any gun to you and reduce all recoil to a minimum. A low recoil shell of any brand means you have given up on killing power. 

low recoil hard hitting these 2 things cannot be used together 
 Not questioning your knowledge k80ben, but I have fired alot of different clay cartridges over the years and  have found that  a soft to mild recoil cartridge can hit harder than thumpier quick cartridge. Some say slower cartridge hold tighter pattern,  I dunno. One  particular cartridge B&P COMPETITION ONE is very soft  and will smoke clays at any realistic range with a LM 0R M  in the barrel. 

Latest posts

Back