Really !!!!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And don't forget that full choke gives you a long shot string. So swing through with full choke and you'll never miss. In fact I had to stop using my trap gun at skeet as I was hitting so many of the pairs together. Even on the singles I had to hesitate a second before calling the report clay as that string was still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't forget that full choke gives you a long shot string. So swing through with full choke and you'll never miss. In fact I had to stop using my trap gun at skeet as I was hitting so many of the pairs together. Even on the singles I had to hesitate a second before calling the report clay as that string was still there.
Quite why nobody has figured out that’s the reason all the top shot use Full choke remains a mystery.

Please explain.
If you have different size shot in a cartridge e.g. some 9's some 7's or some 5's the 9's will slow faster than the 7 or 5's because of less mass producing a sort of shot string. Check out shot string on youtube. 

Make your own mind up, if l remember correctly its not allowed to use different shot sizes in clay shooting compititions.

Someone bothered to work out the maths for it once, you would have to have a gun swing speed of several hundred miles per hour and breaking the sound barrier to make a minimal difference.

Add to that if you are using plastic wads the cup will not have even opened so will move the shot with the swing.

Regarding shot string length, I remember reading quite a bit about it and the tests carried proved the length of shot string played no meaningful part in breaking targets. The difference in speed between target and shot means the target would have only moved a few inches before the whole string (even if it is a few feet long) would have passed any intercept point. 

99% of time the shot hits the target rather than the target hitting the middle or tail end of the shot string (obviously the clay hitting the shot scenario can happen, just it’s a fluke rather than the normal way of hitting a target) .

You also have to take into account effective shot string, you are always going to get a few pellets way out in front and a few deformed ones lagging way behind which elongate the shot string somewhat. If live quarry was hit by those then chances are it will just be pricked, if it’s a clay chances are it won’t break. 

So focusing on the entire 100% of the shot string (first and last pellet to hit to hit a test rig) can be misleading. Focusing on the effective bulk of the shot can dramatically decrease the length of the shot string and therefore the amount the target clay or quarry moves in the time for it to pass.

However, I have actually heard quite a few people go on about the length of the shot string helping with crossing targets.

And, if you swing through the target he seems to be saying that the shot string will do a banana 🤔 unless i am reading it wrong ?? If i am correct....what a load of absolute poo
I am an engineer.  I had to try and explain this very thing to a chap who thought that the faster you swing the gun......the more you spread or 'Paint' the shot along its line. 😁

Disbelieving my thesis, the numbers stacked up rather nicely.  The fastest we can swing a gun is about 3m/s.......at the barrel end.  To actually interract with the shot string as it leaves the barrel, you need to move the barrel end by about mach 2.    Or in simple numbers 680.58m/s.   However even at this speed, you only actually move into the string by 1.4mm, thereby your painting effect is rather limited.

Now I don't know about anybody else here, but I for one, cannot get close to the 3m/s stated above.  I would look like Zorro sword fighting the Mexican Army...... on a DVD...... on fast forward.  My coach may have recourse to argue about my shooting style.......but we cannot avoid simple engineering facts.  

Shot moves quick......we don't. SIMPLES!  😂

And what do you use Hamster??
I hope you realise I was jesting, I’ve looooong said shot string (although it does exist) is all but irrelevant when it comes to “shooting flying”. Let us just rejoice in the fact that there are living world champions who are on record as saying (or thinking) otherwise, proving that status or indeed medals are no guarantee of correct knowledge.

ps. I use 1/2 most of the time but will use Sk up close and Full up far, in both instances because I want to affect the diameter “spread” i.e, density not the string. 

Even if your champion believed  in “ stringing “  helping ...  A simple calculation indicates that at 40 metres if the shot is still carrying around  200 metres / second of velocity , and If a shot sting was 5 metres long the first and last pellets would arrive  at the same distance spread over . 025 of a second .  In the same time a clay travelling a  steady 40 mph , would have travelled about 18” . Good luck if anyone  could put that to any practical use 

I may be a novice but I’ve been telling you people that f=m.a and thus light guns and short, light barrels are the only way to go if you wanna get that muzzle up to Mach 2 at 981m/s/s. Oh and don’t forget to bench press at least 200kg x 50 reps, twice per day, five  days a week for the ‘guns’ you’ll need to apply the required force. Of course barrel whip will take on a whole new meaning

Hi guys does anyone remember the experiment with the pattern plate being pulled along rails to measure the shot string effect definitely proved there was a shot string but if I remember the the reason was thought to be misshaped just and slight weight variance of the shot .l fail to see how stringing can be affected by barrel swing as until the shot leaves the tube certainly with plas wads the load is effectively solid until the wad falls away.

Hi guys does anyone remember the experiment with the pattern plate being pulled along rails to measure the shot string effect definitely proved there was a shot string but if I remember the the reason was thought to be misshaped just and slight weight variance of the shot .l fail to see how stringing can be affected by barrel swing as until the shot leaves the tube certainly with plas wads the load is effectively solid until the wad falls away.
Perhaps you’re referring to this or similar study?

I have to say, this is the singularly most disappointing book I’ve ever read. The science was sadly lacking and not a Rembrandt in sight. 

D6996A77-5C75-42DB-BA4A-35316424E95F.jpeg

EFA2AE8F-74A6-4E9B-81F6-216BC05D52CA.jpeg

There IS such a thing as an elongated shot string, it’s the unavoidable product of scatter gun ballistics but the point is that if anything it happens to be an irrelevance if not downright unhelpful. 

Excellent point re the wad 👍

Perhaps you’re referring to this or similar study?

I have to say, this is the singularly most disappointing book I’ve ever read. The science was sadly lacking and not a Rembrandt in sight. 

View attachment 7845

View attachment 7846
CAR SHOOTING INSTEAD OF CLAY SHOOTING!!!!!!

EVEN I WOULD HAVE A CHANCE OF WINNING SOMETHING AT THAT!!!!!! ........maybe......

Over the years I've been at times the rabid fan boy of shotgun ballistics.  The result of that intense devotion and study has allowed me to formulate a comprehensive and universally applicable methodology to shooting.  

SEE THE TARGET ! !

SHOOT THE TARGET ! !

HTH

Latest posts

Back