Really !!!!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lloyd the experiment was a little more professional somebody laid a track I forget how long and a steel plate was pulled along by a winch I believe

I am probably a bit long in the tooth and memory not what it was but I am fairly confident the mags at the time covered it well

Shot spends all of its time in the barrel, and just beyond it still firmly balled up. In a plaswad the stuff is still in the plastic cup! stringing out takes place because of minute differences in spin and drag on individual pellets. 

High speed photography of shot leaving the barrel

f74d2547af-Shotgundata-Sequence_1500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot spends all of its time in the barrel, and just beyond it still firmly balled up. In a plaswad the stuff is still in the plastic cup! stringing out takes place because of minute differences in spin and drag on individual pellets. 

High speed photography of shot leaving the barrel

I have seen these pictures before. Afraid I might open a whole no can of worms with this question then. Can someone please explain to me how the choke effects the spread of the pattern. Is it because it takes longer time for the cup to open after leaving the barrel? I know the pattern is tighter, but my brain doesn't know why? 

Lars

I have seen these pictures before. Afraid I might open a whole no can of worms with this question then. Can someone please explain to me how the choke effects the spread of the pattern. Is it because it takes longer time for the cup to open after leaving the barrel? I know the pattern is tighter, but my brain doesn't know why? 

Lars
It is all to do with air resistance, when the shot leaves the barrel the outside pellets of the shot column are subjected air resistance (drag). These pellets start to spin and fly off leaving the pellet next to them now subjected to air resistance and so on.

The idea of the choke is to compress the pellets together making less surface area initially susceptible to drag as well as increasing frictional forces as the pellets are touching each other with less gaps in between keeping the pattern together for longer. With the pellets all squished together hard the centre of the shot column will not be subject to the same air resistance until a lot later on than a shot column loosely packed therefore it holds the pattern together longer.  

But also bear in mind the cartridge can alter patterns as well, shot hardness, velocity and wad design can alter the pattern as well. So cartridge X might not pattern the same through ½ choke as cartridge Y.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shot still leaves the barrel as a small ball but the lack of a cup means it starts to spread in the muzzle blast so gets disrupted very slightly. Probably explains why fibre pattern a little more 'loosely'.

Reactions: ips
The shot still leaves the barrel as a small ball but the lack of a cup means it starts to spread in the muzzle blast so gets disrupted very slightly. Probably explains why fibre pattern a little more 'loosely'.
Yes and nobody from this universe could make the " shot string" bend !  :lol:

Back