Quality used guns- recommendations in the South West?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blaser are about to launch a new gun which is supposed to be well priced.

Go and see Ian Mulliner, I wouldn't buy a Blaser off anyone else.

Hmm, Les53. Get thee behind me Satan!

Tested a DT10 today, and I have to say I really liked it. It was a little (1/4") shorter in the stock than the Miroku I tried last week, but that made a world of difference. The handling felt excellent, no problem getting onto those unexpected fleeting shots where I was looking in entirely the wrong place well prepared for a bird that didn't happen. It felt like a quality gun, and the chaps with me were impressed, too. I felt I could shoot well with this one, it was instantly comfortable. The one I tried was choked 1/2 in both barrels. Normally I shoot 1/4.

Downsides & issues - well there were a couple. If the gun is opened slowly after firing, then it doesn't eject. It does eject if you start to close it again. At that point the gun wouldn't close until fiddling with the safety apparently freed it up. Then there's the Teague chokes, one of which was a real struggle to remove (so we could tell what was in it!). Lastly the removable trigger plate didn't. Remove that is; it just wasn't playing. Perhaps if you're a DT10 owner let me know if they are usually a nightmare (sales chap's word) in this respect.

But it's a thing of quality and the model is propelled into the upper reaches of my personal list, even if this particular example could do with a little work.

And just so I don't disappoint Les53 I'm working on test driving an MX8 later this week or early next week.

My budget is insufficiently flexible to allow for a new Perazzi, nor even a nearly new example. And I have an aversion to things that look ghastly, to my eyes the MXS is ghastly-go-large.

Many thanks to the guys at Purbeck for arranging today's trial.

I had a dt10 once Charles, I had no probs with dropping the trigger out, but I do know someone who had such an issue. Yes I've also heard of ejector issues too, but mine was fine. As for Perazzi, you can find half decent ones that don't cost the earth, just a case of looking around mate.

Bugsey at my age there may well not be much of a "later"!

Les, thanks for the reminder that Mulliner's is just up the road. I popped over there yesterday and Mr and Mrs Mulliner were very helpful. I took up way too much of their time after starting to look at the Blaser F3 range (something I hadn't even considered), even now there are still questions to ask about it. I have to say I'm rather impressed so far. I have an incoming infestation of grandchildren next week, but hope to shoot one the week after. I'm looking forward to that. 

The new Blaser F16 is launched tomorrow, I look forward to reading about it. It will be less expensive, I know no more than that.

One thing that has concentrated my mind is that I'm not convinced I can buy second-hand with confidence. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I Im worried about being sold something that's defective, it's more about the getting it fixed if it does go wrong. So buying, say, a Blaser from the chap who does Blaser's repairs in the UK and lives less than ten miles away is hugely attractive. There are a lot of cowboys out there, and it's a devil of a job to know who will end up fixing your gun is it has to go back as a used item to a dealer!

In the unlikely breakdown of my Blaser I wouldn't take my gun or trust anyone else to look at it other than Ian.  I'm pretty sure he is the only authorised Blaser service-centre in the UK.

Ive had three Blasers now (original silver action F3, F3 Pro, and current F3 Supersport) and they were all purchased new, I never had a single problem with them.  

I would imagine any 2nd-hand one bought through Mulliners would have been thoroughly inspected before he would sell it on.  

Bugsey at my age there may well not be much of a "later"!

Les, thanks for the reminder that Mulliner's is just up the road. I popped over there yesterday and Mr and Mrs Mulliner were very helpful. I took up way too much of their time after starting to look at the Blaser F3 range (something I hadn't even considered), even now there are still questions to ask about it. I have to say I'm rather impressed so far. I have an incoming infestation of grandchildren next week, but hope to shoot one the week after. I'm looking forward to that. 

The new Blaser F16 is launched tomorrow, I look forward to reading about it. It will be less expensive, I know no more than that.

One thing that has concentrated my mind is that I'm not convinced I can buy second-hand with confidence. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I Im worried about being sold something that's defective, it's more about the getting it fixed if it does go wrong. So buying, say, a Blaser from the chap who does Blaser's repairs in the UK and lives less than ten miles away is hugely attractive. There are a lot of cowboys out there, and it's a devil of a job to know who will end up fixing your gun is it has to go back as a used item to a dealer!
Well Charles if a Blaser is your thing then Ian is your man without a doubt, I know Ian pretty well, I doubt if anyone in the UK knows more than he does about those guns.

I don't know if it is my thing yet! All I know is I'm looking forward to shooting one.

If you know of any downside then please say so - I'm here to learn.

Well Charles I've only shot two Blasers, they seem well made and they handle quite nicely. What I'm not that keen on is the blacking which looks like something which is inside a frying pan, but that's just personal preference of course. Most of the guns I've seen have had lovely woodwork. Have fun trying them out!

Final answer is a Blaser F3, despite comments about the Teflon finish. 

I picked one up from the helpful, patient, and knowledgeable Mr Mulliner yesterday, at tea time. I used it today, it was Purbeck's 100 bird registered Sporting, and I loved the afternoon.

I am so very very pleased, delighted, chuffed, impressed with my new F3. It has quality of engineering, balance that's infinitely adjustable, trigger pulls like a duelling pistol (yes I've handled more than a few) and it handles just right. Even my good lady, Mary, has been admiring it, although much of that admiration has been directed at the case. I took it out and shot it exactly as it came, no fiddling.

Most of all, although this afternoon's score won't impress anyone, the gun behaved impeccably. It felt completely natural, completely normal, very comfortable. It points well in a game gun sense, but with the stability of its extra mass. It fits me rather well, it has negligible recoil with the Armusa Gold Seal cartridges I used today.

Coming from a Semi auto is a bit of a leap, but this gun has made it easy.

My thanks to those who have made suggestions, especially to Les who suggested I visit Mr Mulliner. Teflon indeed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to here of your new purchase. Although a confirmed perazzi man myself I am sure your gun will give you much pleasure.

Thanks, Schmokinn.

By "recovery" you mean the one I just simply didn't see?

I've been back there today to attempt to replicate the "Invisible Orange Target" Syndrome, and discovered that in today's light everything is visible.

I also discovered that it's astonishing how easy it is to hit targets that 48 hours ago seemed impossible. This phenomenon only occurs when you're on your own, with no witnesses.

I ended up with 74. How did you get on?

Thanks, Schmokinn.

By "recovery" you mean the one I just simply didn't see?

I've been back there today to attempt to replicate the "Invisible Orange Target" Syndrome, and discovered that in today's light everything is visible.

I also discovered that it's astonishing how easy it is to hit targets that 48 hours ago seemed impossible. This phenomenon only occurs when you're on your own, with no witnesses.

I ended up with 74. How did you get on?
i think it was the one after that that you didn't see till the last minute and hit about a foot off the ground...77 for me to many silly misses on easy birds while hitting the hard one of the pair.

that and missing the first bird on six stands for no good reason.

I do, Les. Very much.

It was a bit of a struggle to expose it to the rain this morning. It is my preoccupation with keeping it dry & feeling loved that was doubtless responsible for my abysmal score today.

I can, however, report that it did not dissolve!

Back