Pre shot routine....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I have mine.......and I am not for sharing........ (until of course I retire from competitive shooting). "

. Thought you had. Seen you shoot. Pray please tell Miss.

:D

Ho Ho Salpo

(yawning whilst sipping a rather good malt)

Yep I have one. It's all about reducing the variables and concentrating the mind. I've been teaching it to the kids in the school shooting club after advice from Ben H and it's worked wonders with them, and me alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vital. Gives you a consistent base to work from and as mentioned above cuts out variables and makes the whole process repeatable, which is what it's all about.

I like to warm up, hydrate, and try to ensure that I have attained a minimum 88% occupancy of brain α4β2* nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs).

So, that will be a cup of tea and a fag, then.

Walk into stand. Foot position? Sorted. Gun hold point? Sorted. Voice in my head says " look hard at the clay" PULL!

This works most of the time until I come across targets I'm not used to shooting. Then the voice in my head starts saying " try 3 foot of lead and down a bit. Damn missed. Give it a bit more. Sod it missed again. Maybe less lead? Bollocks. And so it goes on (especially on Red course at the Classic)

I have one and have been using it for a few years now and it has really improved my scores but some people find it it annoying bbecause it is quite slow and spend more time in the stand than most. Quite often I get snide c omments and funny looks but try to not let it bother me.I take my shooting seriously and want to get the best out of it while still enjoying it!!

Muttering DON'T shoot in front w........ works for me occasionally.

You've paid ya money Mikey, same as the rest, so take you're moneys worth ;) you probably dont take as much time as you actually think. For me rythym is everything and if others dont like it they can go forth and multiply :D

Cheers fuzrat thanks for the positive feedback it's has improved my yearly average over 4 targets so no plans to change lets just hope it works this weekend ha ha !

what do trap shooters on here use as their routine? or should i say, whats a typical trap shooters pre-shot routine? (fear of an avallanche of quips now...)

Last edited by a moderator:
what do trap shooters on here use as their routine? or should i say, whats a typical trap shooters pre-shot routine? (fear of an avallanche of quips now...)
probably something along the lines of 'i like shooting up the rear end'

A Trap shooter's routine is invariably, and of necessity, sub-conscious since they are all lobotomised before starting each round :)

A Trap shooter's routine is invariably, and of necessity, sub-conscious since they are all lobotomised before starting each round :)
i knew it.... i wish i'd never asked!

i was hoping to understand how some trappies manage quiet eye (again why do i feel this is going to start a wave of flippant retorts!)

My pre shot routine (about 12 hours pre-shot) was 6 pints and a big meal. I have now tamed this routine down and my scores have improved.

CSC3

That'll keep you occupied on the internet for a while Toby. Plenty of research in sports science but there were tests on british high achieving shotgunners and a "control group" [not A class to you and me]. Seemingly all ball sports have a dwelling spell before hitting/shooting [we might call target-lock] higher in the more successful. It's done by eyeball tracking but the scientists don't seem to fully understand the sport though interesting to read. As Newbie says in OT it's taken to be part of the pre-shot routine.

Quiet Eye looks interesting - here's an article I have had on on my PC for a while.

QuietEye001.pdf

Attachments

• QuietEye001.pdf
    257.9 KB · Views: 36
I find after a curry and a few pints my "eye" is anything but quiet for the next day. I find it sharpens me up for the first few stands, but have to be carefull of the odd accidental discharge.

I find after a curry and a few pints my "eye" is anything but quiet for the next day. I find it sharpens me up for the first few stands, but have to be carefull of the odd accidental discharge.
Have you considered a snap-cap to stem the eye? :)

Quiet Eye looks interesting - here's an article I have had on on my PC for a while.
I did find that interesting, mainly because it was when Nic coached me on OT, she sorted out my focus point pre-call and to keep the gun still while I settled. Previously I was moving it about like Zorro and moving whist I called.

Back