Ported chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember, " for every action there is an equal and ...... " - Newton's 3rd Law of Motion?

Wad stripper guys say that's a lie.  Wad strippers defy Newtonian Physics.  Now that's some mf'n powerful juju.

Muzzle flip is the piece of the recoil package that slaps you in the face.  I am as sure as you are that something is wrong if that bloodies.  Ports didn't seem to help any at all.

Manufacturers do not need to research the effectiveness of anything if home-grown hype has already generated a market.  I suspect that Beretta, Perazzi, Browning, et al, merely responded to market demands and never did any research into the effectiveness of ports or big bores.  Why would they waste the time and $ on doing anything but rolling out the goodies that the market had already decided were da kin?

just sayin' ...........

Know how One of William Gibson's characters called GB, maybe it was England, or maybe just London, but I think GB, a mirror world where everything is like it is supposed to be but just not quite?  I know exactly what he was talking about   :haha:

Brilliant Wonko.....I am going to use that one......"mf'n powerfull juju".........brilliant..... Thanks :kiss:

Tinker

Yes BUT it should have had "BAD" at the beginning for full effect :)

Well I've never used a shotgun with ported barrels, so I can't comment on them, other than to say that most of the worlds top guys do not seem to use ported tubes. I have however used various large calibre handguns that have had ports, compensators or muzzle brakes, whichever you like to call them. On such guns there does seem to be a reduction in muzzle flip, but of course these guns are much shorter that a shotgun and are much lighter too. Some guys seemed to love a modified barrel, but others would not touch the things, as for me..... well I could take 'em or leave 'em to be honest.

Moore K-80 said:
Peter Wilson does. Not hugely popular in the Sporting arena mind.
That makes me feel like I'm cutting edge then! I'm leading a one man revolution!  :sarcastic:

Isn't that why they were banned at trap due to the blast to the bloke at your side ?

Seem to remember they were banned at ot first then abt when we went to straight line. But i may be talking Bollox

Good question but dont get les started on abt or ot rule changes :)

Exactly, he must be down the pubor we would have heard him by now :)

Moore K-80 said:
You can knock England and GB all you like, you guy's are just pis*ed that we have George Digweed and Richard Faulds and the like that keep coming over there and taking your prize money and trophies. Ha you don't like that do you?  :haha:
I am forced to disappoint you.  I think Digweed is right at incred and I'm not familiar with Mr. Faulds to comment.  Who wins what is meaningless to me.  Other peoples' accomplishments have no effect on my life that is measurable.

It does seem that the mirror world is deficient in humor tho.  I'd not have suspected that judging from the TV of yours that has me LMAO.

cheers

Mr. Digweed is an interesting sort cuz he has a rep of being out there by himself.  But I haven't the slightest idea of what/where/when he has won anything.    Mr. Faulds is certainly an excellent shooter but it does not seem that he has the rep of dominating like Mr.Digweed.

I wish them both the best - like I said, who wins is meaningless to me.

Exactly, he must be down the pubor we would have heard him by now :)
Yes he was down the pub!!!! Best place to be in such weather too! Anyway.........rule changes......!!!!!!! Why the hell don't the buggers just leave well alone? They change things around without consulting those of us that actually shoot it, without us they would have no sport to talk of, they probably would then not even have jobs. They should get on and do what we shooters want, NOT what THEY want. That's it rant over.......soon be back to the pub!

Getting back on track- Many years ago (20 ish) after reading bits in shooting mag's about recoil and muzzel flip etc I decided to do some experiments on a old single 12 bore I had kicking about, First I ported it, then I lengthened and polished out the forcing cone, then I modified the stock to a sort of ergonomic type I had seen a picture of, it is a bit like an upside down monte carlo, were the top of the but plate is level with the top line of the barrels and the comb is sunk down and parellel, and then I had it over boared to just within proof, and lastly I made a huge forend to put some weight forward.

I tested it before and between these mods to see what worked and what dident, I taped a yard stick to the side of a shooting cage and marked the barrel and then watched the muzel flip and the amount of rearward movement... at its best the the muzel flip was converted into a back ward ovel instead of just rising up and back and the recoil had been significantly reduced until the last mod, the overboring for some reason increased the recoil partly.

So I can say that ported barrels do work and combined with other mods can help reduce recoil.

Please exuse the poor spelling as I dont have spell check.

Mick.

ps. I still have said gun if anyone would like to try it. :preved:

No to trying it but would like to see a pic of the wee beasty

Hi IPS

Ive just taken these pics, Hope they come out ok.

Mick.

ps I have managed a few 24's on DTL with it but never a 25.http://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-232-0-19909600-1388851578.jpgattachment=2517:AYA Cosmos 002.JPG]

post-232-0-09310700-1388851610.jpg

post-232-0-64144800-1388851631.jpg

Attachments

• AYA Cosmos 001.JPG
    AYA Cosmos 001.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AYA Cosmos 002.JPG
    AYA Cosmos 002.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • AYA Cosmos 003.JPG
    AYA Cosmos 003.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 0
Well its an intresting design I will give you that, not sure I fully understand the stock concept ?

Latest posts

Back