Podimore Selection shoot April 19/20

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the system seems to work i cant remember seeing england loosing much over the years :)  

so i dont see the point of changing it.

i think this year is a bit better as they have split the world and HI selection shoots to give 2 chances at a place for those interested.

Surely that is due to the other home nations having limited number of top shots who shoot sporting?

I had a crack at this and shot like I've never shot before - literally!

For me an edge on target gets me out of my comfort zone. All those edge on targets made me pretty uncomfortable and left me thinking that it was an area I need to brush up on.

Thing is where would you practice clays like that? Clearly I don't shoot them enough and indeed the scores would suggest many others don't either.

I was lucky enough to shoot with a couple of current "Badge" holders. They had a hard day by their standards but it was still obvious to see that they operate at another level entirely.

I'm quite happy to admit I haven't got what it takes, but its not going to stop me turning up and having go. It gives one an appreciation of what makes a good sporting shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only editing my spelling mistakes..... Dawn patrol with the kids this morning!

as far as im concerned edge on targets have not got a place in modern clay shooting with the traps at our disposal nowadays ,simple 

steve

I agree with Ed on this one, we don't want all edge on but 2/3 edge on in a round with varying distances, does make you think a bit!! Tight chokes 7s etc.

as far as im concerned edge on targets have not got a place in modern clay shooting with the traps at our disposal nowadays ,simple 

steve
Must admit I'm a little confused too, surely edge on's are unavoidable if not desirable a lot of the time ?!

Must admit I'm a little confused too, surely edge on's are unavoidable if not desirable a lot of the time ?!
I'm in the good balance camp...but I'm not sure how edge on's are unavoidable.

Steve puts on dozens of stands a month that show very little edge, have loads of spring, need plenty of leeeeeed....and don't need to be edge on to provide a stern test!

I see edge on targets as providing variation, but I don't see what makes them unavoidable or particularly desirable over any other presentation...?

Maybe I've just got the wrong idea what edge on means, a target where near as dammit only the edge is visible ? We get those all the time. :bb:

i try to make a course of clays as fair to everyone as possible , now that doesnt just mean shooting ability some people struggle with eyes sight not being as strong as others , so lets go for a 40 yard standard crosser againest the skyline in westfield grouse butts , firstly 40 yards is further than some appriciate and an edge on std at that distance will be a nightmare for most of the shooters to lock onto where as if i position the trap to throw the clay along the same line as this edge on one but tip it so you see the underneath ,now most will say , " i want to have a go at that " and its not an eyesight test .

they take longer and more effort to set up being belly or back showing but i think its worth it , i will never go out to set an edge on crosser on purpose there are more ways to achieve a well balanced varied shoot , but thats just my opinion 

steve

Love Steves shoots and certainly hated edge ons before I got my glasses sorted! Still don't like them much. Trouble is, when you go somewhere where they do use them a lot, it comes as a shock! :)

Tinker bell said:
Glad to see that it is accepted that trap targets are hard....especially as we throw them all at 75m ish in the fast trap disciplines.
Not when you are shooting them all up the arse!!!

Try shooting them as 30, 40, 50 and 60yd crossers...them we will talk 'hard'...

thats easily sorted will , dont go !!!!!!

trap targets nicola are easier as you just shoot at em !!!! they are all going away .haha 

just try and focus on a fast edge on crosser that travels for 80 yards right to left five times then try it with a belly on one and tell ne which is the best and easiest to hit . now i know some will say we want it hard , but i do study scores from different grounds and these people still dont set the world on fire , so as i said they might have a place but not at any of my shoots 

So thats the answer then boys and girls - shoot trap before you shoot Fitasc and it will be simple and straightforward. Those 70 yard 'edge-on' crossers will be so familiar to you after shooting trap they will fall from the sky as if by magic. I think thats definitely where we are going wrong.

:sarcastic:" less chance of getting bored",   very true that, is it referring to ESP or double trap? :sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back