Podimore Selection shoot April 19/20

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin Myers 98 at Southdown and 83 at podimore
Means nothing beyond the fact the targets were exceptionally hard, Ed Solomons shot 85 to 96 so what ! The best still shoot the best scores regardless, or are you implying that Martin Myers can't be very good if he only shot 83 at Podimore today ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm looks to me that shooting all these tame sporting shoots 98,s 99's etc etc comes to something a bit tasty and technically tough I'm afraid you've all been kidding yourself, England selection shoots should and need to be pick the best from the toughest selection shoot ! Not from who can fill the easy ones in !!! Richard Faulds destroyed everyone with that score around that course pure bloody class from guess what a Olympic champion ! Top training & top coaching !! Wake up everyone and try to progress to that level and stop kidding yourselves, that is the caliber the best in this country should inspire to & not filling in the sh@t week in week out, ground owners wake up and stop pampering to C & B class shots, make the shoots more interesting and tougher to test people on the weekend, everyone try harder then progress on ability, so what if C class is won on 65 it's all relative, you will get better & be able to read targets & not just shoot what u shoot week in week out..... Big wake up call especially following Dubai & anyone who has the balls to set courses up to test the best a big well done..
RF would have still been at or very near the top regardless, the lower classes pay the bills, if they're all so easy why can't everyone fill in 90+ scores everywhere every week ?

I didn't shoot it but that shouldn't matter as I am posing a question which applies to any course, besides plenty of people commented on the Sarfdown thread who hadn't shot it.

Southdown classes were also won on scores that reflected normality.
Yeah okay so 97 is an average score for A class and 91 in B class?? It was a sporting shoot not skeet!!

Yeah okay so 97 is an average score for A class and 91 in B class?? It was a sporting shoot not skeet!!
You're being selective to suit, no way to discuss an issue fairly. GD pretty much shoots 97+ at every shoot, so do people like RF I bet, what shall we do, put the traps out an extra 40 yards or just accept you can't keep good men down and stop beating up the rest ?

J Moore who won Junior is clearly an exceptional talent and clearly shot out of his skin, the next highest in A was 89.

Last edited by a moderator:
Means nothing beyond the fact the targets were exceptionally hard, Ed Solomons shot 85 to 96 so what ! The best still shoot the best scores regardless, or are you implying that Martin Myers can't be very good if he only shot 83 at Podimore today ?
This was in response to your quote regarding the top 10 at Southdown. I would never imply that about Martin. 83 was a good score which was probably in the top 20 out of 200+ entries.

This was in response to your quote regarding the top 10 at Southdown. I would never imply that about Martin. 83 was a good score which was probably in the top 20 out of 200+ entries.
All I'm saying is that who shot what and when means nothing other than to let us gauge how hard the targets were set. It takes a very particular person to get into the team, and talent alone is simply not enough, I dare say many other factors such as family life, finances, time and commitment play just as much if not more of a role. There are plenty of people with enough talent and potential who would't/couldn't even dream of trying to get in the team.

But a selection shoot isn't about the lower classes...it's about the best!!!
exactly well said that man !!! I don't get what some say B & C class pay the bills ? It's a England selection shoot not a fun day at the fate !!! Go there shoot it by all means to see how good you are up to England's finest but don't moan because you can't shoot ur AA scores in B & C, get ur heads out of the sand shoots like the selection shoot are not good for selection ! There were 20+ who shot 90+ at a selection shoot great test of skill and ability 'NOT'

Good for a selection shoot maybe....but...

Prefer a bit more variety if I am honest and not to feel beaten up at the end of a shoot. Felt like a shooting at iPhones competition for quite a bit of it....

Dropper for me so I might well be biased........

Bloody long way too...if it wasn't for a bit of fun with Clynt at the end I would be wishing I hadn't bothered....so thanks Clynt xx
Its a selection shoot to sort out Englands finest for the Home International & future World events !!!!!

Its gonna be tough & some shooters attend these to see where the finish against the top shots, albeit in seniors, juniors, ladies or vets, that being said there still needs to be a element of variety & some enjoyment thrown in for everyone.

Do tell more regarding the fun you had afterwards with a member of the opposite sex tho ...... x :spiteful:   :spiteful:

i think selection shoots are not only about the top few ,they are about all that attends to make these events economic to hold and put on , otherwise you would have the " top " 100 shooters paying an entry fee of around £80 and theres enough discussion now when we apply a £2 levy !!!!

i personnally cant see why a selection shoot needs to be any different to a well set up sunday shoot , at weston wood yesterday 97 won it 95 second then down to 93 and 91 but the big point is every class and ability enjoyed it so just remember we are a game of all mixed ability and experience playing altogether nicely .

richards 95 does stand out as something special and big well dones ,but i assure everyone that if the trailing pack would of all been on 90 or there abouts they wouldve all been happier .

i hear way too much off all the billy big bolloxes about making them all harder , but truth is they dont want it , really .its all about good combinations and enjoyment 

Spot on Steve, I'll bet that there are a load of C class shooters who will give Podimore a wide berth for months to come! Yes it was a England selection shoot but the ground need all the entries they can get.

A  normal sporting would have sufficed, at the end of the day the top boys will still be at the top!

whoever set this course new a thing or two about making clays look a lot harder than they actually were, that in it's self is a test for the experienced best, add to that, gusty wind and shiny clays , and a very random pair of rabbits !! you now have one of the stiffest layouts many have seen !!! not too many easy places to start, but wish now I had walked the course and got a feel for the severity, that would have changed my choice of start and ammo selection ??

I shot a poor 71 but I did hit at some point one of everything thrown, was it me, was it the targets was it the weather, na just a combination of it all and the mind set that has become the norm lately of needing a big 90+ !!  resulting in a bad day

If you never shot this you will never come close to knowing how f**kin good that 91 and 95 were.....fact     

clynt you have just come up with another good point , shiny clays for some reason these days they all seem shinier than they used to be , i had i midi on weds at the fitasc which was a looper so full belly on became really hard to see when the sun shone on it in a certain position , and no before you all say , the sun was on your backs .

i am sure the two 90 pluses were brilliant shooting but i still say it needs to be enjoyed by the majority to make these shoots a success 

Think I said on FB that I appreciated the shoot wasn't aimed at the likes of me...it was suggested that I do the selection shoots as good experience for me....Well it was an experience alright...a very demoralizing one but I will bounce back...and get better...

There were plenty of people who appeared to be out with friends for a nice Easter Sunday shoot, I don't suppose they will be rushing back, or anyone who shot for the first time that day will be either!!

As for after well I got to play with Clynt....and that is as much as you need to know...I went home with a smile on my face....much like I usually do after I have been shooting....

i think selection shoots are not only about the top few ,they are about all that attends to make these events economic to hold and put on , otherwise you would have the " top " 100 shooters paying an entry fee of around £80 and theres enough discussion now when we apply a £2 levy !!!!

i personnally cant see why a selection shoot needs to be any different to a well set up sunday shoot , at weston wood yesterday 97 won it 95 second then down to 93 and 91 but the big point is every class and ability enjoyed it so just remember we are a game of all mixed ability and experience playing altogether nicely .

richards 95 does stand out as something special and big well dones ,but i assure everyone that if the trailing pack would of all been on 90 or there abouts they wouldve all been happier .

i hear way too much off all the billy big bolloxes about making them all harder , but truth is they dont want it , really .its all about good combinations and enjoyment

Some really good chat and discussion going on here!! I would tend to agree with Clynt and Smithers!! Although it sounds as if the weather played the course harder on one of the days!! Steve lovatt also chipped in with a good layout would suffice, but in my opinion, it would have to be one of the ones that he tweeks up a few notches!! But all in all most of us want to be tested, we want to show and express our skills!! It's no different to golf we play easy courses and tough courses, it's great to play both!! Unfortunately you can't please all!!

This means next to nothing, literally. There are good and poor scores made by good and average shots everywhere every week. GD shot 94 at Greenfields today, it was as testing as usual but I bet not as hard as the Essex Masters which he also won.
Hamster,you said that "surely the top 10 didn't crash and burn at Podimore?"I merely pointed out that HG with 99 at Southdown,shot 79 at Podimore. If it means "next to nothing,literally!" Why ask for the comparison to be made?

Some interesting reading, selection shoots should be set so the shooters at the top of their game shine through. Shooters who are still learning can use these to see how far they are from the very best but should realise their score might be well below their usual average, but its all relative. Comparing the HG score at Southdown to his score at Podimore is pointless, too many variables to take in to account for it too be useful.

Last thing we need is a load of shooters all shooting high scores due to soft courses only to be made to look like fools at the Home Internationals

Back