Podimore Selection shoot April 19/20

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hamster,you said that "surely the top 10 didn't crash and burn at Podimore?"I merely pointed out that HG with 99 at Southdown,shot 79 at Podimore. If it means "next to nothing,literally!" Why ask for the comparison to be made?
What I'm saying Wayne is that you can have high and low scores by a given shooter in a super tough and normal shoot, it happens, last years winner of Southdown shot stupendous scores on the ESP, Sportrap and Pool events which even I think were a tad tougher, yet this time around fared no better than average. It's all about performing on the day because good shooters worthy of a team place will come through in the end.

ps. the intention was not to belittle your comment, unfortunately when I re-read it I realise it could have been written more tactfully.

What I'm saying Wayne is that you can have high and low scores by a given shooter in a super tough and normal shoot, it happens, last years winner of Southdown shot stupendous scores on the ESP, Sportrap and Pool events which even I think were a tad tougher, yet this time around fared no better than average. It's all about performing on the day because good shooters worthy of a team place will come through in the end.

ps. the intention was not to belittle your comment, unfortunately when I re-read it I realise it could have been written more tactfully.
I completely agree,but that's not really what you were saying earlier is it. You were saying that top 10 would surely feature amongst the top at Podimore. That wasn't the case.

I completely agree,but that's not really what you were saying earlier is it. You were saying that top 10 would surely feature amongst the top at Podimore. That wasn't the case.
As we know the top 10 or 20 tend to change from year to year, with one or three notable exceptions some may even drop out completely from time to time though possibly more due to changing circumstances than form blips. Obviously even I realise you won't get the same names at the top of every shoot but inherent ability and averages mean the right people will shine through after the 6 ? shoots.

I think we all need to appreciate how hard it is for a course setter to get the targets just right so people can shoot their average, maybe a bit better if they are on form/in the zone and enjoy themselves.  This is a hobby for most of us.  A few of you will earn a living helped by a reputation of being a great shot but the rest of us are here for a good time

Southdown didn't get it right - I didn't shoot it but I shot a registered there a few weeks before and I thought the targets were dull and unchallenging then.  From what people have said I guess the selection shoot wasn't much different and didn't really sort out the best from the rest.

I suspect Kevin looked at the feedback about S'down, and maybe even the comments about Dubai, and decided to crank it up and put on a testing shoot.  If he got anything wrong it was maybe just one or two stands too hard.  I hate edge on targets - none of the grounds I've done most of my shooting at put them on.  As a result my score dropped 13/14 below my average.  The stands at the end were about right.  The stands from the rabbits to the corner were tough.  If you were straight on them then you can consider yourself a very good shot.

It's a shame that the top score was by someone who won't consider putting himself forward for an England team though.  I guess he's "been there, done that" but maybe someone can suggest why the top shots in the country don't want to represent their country?

Last edited by a moderator:
"It's a shame that the top score was by someone who won't consider putting himself forward for an England team though.  I guess he's "been there, done that" but maybe someone can suggest why the top shots in the country don't want to represent their country?"

:startle:   :startle:

Wow!  

Think you might have got that a little wrong...would love to know what had lead you to believe that?

I think I'm just not up to date and failed to notice he was in the team last year. Previous years he hasn't been in the team but thinking about it he was obviously more focused on the event that happens every 4 years. However, other top shooters also choose not to put themselves forward so my comment was not completely without substance.

., love how the bitches with handbags moaning the most didnt even go to the shoot :)

its a selection shoot, get over it and learn to shoot whats presented in front of you.

i think whoever set it up did a decent enough job, wouldnt be what i would choose to shoot but thats not the point of it.

the idea is to me is that you shoot several shoots from all over the place with different styles of presentation and the ones lucky enough to get in the team have shown the best all round ability across those varied targets.

., love how the bitches with handbags moaning the most didnt even go to the shoot :)

its a selection shoot, get over it and learn to shoot whats presented in front of you.

i think whoever set it up did a decent enough job, wouldnt be what i would choose to shoot but thats not the point of it.

the idea is to me is that you shoot several shoots from all over the place with different styles of presentation and the ones lucky enough to get in the team have shown the best all round ability across those varied targets.
The question relates to any selection or regular shoot for that matter, I merely asked what the ACTUAL rationale was to make them tougher and so far remain unconvinced by the non-answers anyway, no examples have been forthcoming of other sports for instance ;)   :mosking:  . Billy big bollox is making more and more sense though. 

The one point that hasn't been addressed is points and how a shoot like Podimore does (or doesn't) affect the points for the team.

The issue arises from the inconsistency in the difficulty of the selection shoots and the points that produces.

When a shoot is really tough and the scores spread out more, the points (off high gun) spread out more in the same way. This would be fine is all the shoots were an equal standard, however people choose 4 of 6 shoots where they get best points.

Southdown produced lots and lots of low points which may be misleading, but which those going for team will use.

I think it would be interesting to see how many people other than Richard (0 points) and maybe Phil smith (4) use their Podimore points. Most shooters (including those in categories) will probably find that the points are too far off to be useful, and so will, assuming they shoot OK elsewhere use points from other selections.

So, whilst you can't account for someone shooting superbly at a tough selection, if all selections were of equal difficulty, would that create a better comparison, by way of more reliable points for team, in the situation where people pick their best points?

Finally, the bitch with handbag comment was pathetic whoever it was aimed at. The fact female references were made is mysogenistic even at aimed at a man in this instance, because the intent was to use female references (bitch being female dog) and characteristics (handbags tend to be carried by women, certainly outside London) in a negative manner!

Interesting points Sara, the obvious and very difficult trick to pull off though is achieveing presentation equality across 6 different grounds all with varying terrain and of course different course setters, not to even mention the inevitability of weather interference. 

Please read out loud in a very deep voice with a tiny hint of manly vulnerability.

Agree, you are never going to get complete parity because of the points you mention. However, I think it's worth noting that 20 shooters have got 5 points or less from Southdown compared to just two from Podimore.

That's not a dig at either ground but it does illustrate the extremes. The shame is that for many Podimore would have been a wasted trip even though there were more challenging targets and it was, in my opinion, broadly closer to the mark than Southdown.

I don't think anyone would want 6 identical selections - that would be exceedingly boring for a start. And, even in fixed disciplines the scores vary according to weather conditions.

The point is difficulty - two shoots can be very different yet have similar overall difficulty and spread of scores. It's not an exact science, but is it that course setters are not being given guidance as to what is optimal for a selection shoot?

Back