Plymouth & District Open Xmas Rifle Shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBeard

I wanted to go go clay shooting today either at Two Bridges or at Podimore but had already promised to attend the above event which was held at Budleigh Farm, Moretonhampstead.  Perhaps just as well as the forecast was for rain and at least one shoots under cover shooting small-bore at Budleigh Target Shooting Centre.  There was a pretty big turnout for a local small-bore event with over 30 shooters shooting in 4 classes.  The match comprised 40 shots at 50 metres spread over 2 cards of 20 shots each to be fired in 20 minutes each plus sighters.

I shoot in A class and managed a win on count-back dropping only 12 points ex 400 with 7 dropped on the first card and 5 dropped on the second.  The other guy dropped 5 on the first and 7 on the second and third came in dropping 13 points.  I did not expect to win as dropped a few silly shots misjudging the wind so had a nice surprise.

Clay shooting is money oriented so I'll give the details of this shoot which is an open club shoot.  The entry fee was £12.50p to include 50p for the raffle.  The break-even point for the shoot was evidently 24 entrants to cover the prizes, range fees and targets.  As winner of A Class I won a Tesco £15 Xmas voucher and a pot of cranberry sauce!  The other class winners got the same and prizes to third place plus special token prizes for those last in each class!  No top gun prize!  We do it for love!  The range collected 30 plus range fees at £7.50 which came out of the entry fees. 

Catering was done by the County Chairman and his wife doing teas and coffees and bacon butties or venison burgers on a camping stove!  The venison burgers were great!  They give the money raised on the catering back to the county as a donation!  The chairman won C class today which made his day.

Back