Order of difficulty of trap disciplines

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy you have enlightened me! I for some reason thought the trap only threw a left a right or a centre, but it is actually anywhere in the 45degree arc ? That makes it a bit different then although it is a very tight angle of throw really.

John, Yes it is anywhere within the 45 deg arc, but the height is fixed, ( copied fron the CPSA rules)

At a distance of 9.14m (10yd) from the trap, a regular target shall attain a height of 2.44m (2.66yd) to 3.05m (3.33yd). To ensure the correct elevation, a 2.44m (2.66yd) pole with a hoop 61cm (24in) diameter attached to the top must be used. Place the pole upright at 9.14m (10yd) in front of the trap. The trap should then be set to throw the target through the hoop centre. Care must be taken at all times to ensure that the correct measuring height is attained 9.14m (10yd) from the trap.

The pegs are in a semi circle 16 yards from the pivot point of the trap. so the angles change when you move pegs and as such the amount of leeead changes on each peg.

For example on peg 1 a 22 deg left will require an amount of leeead but a 22 deg right will be a straight going away shot. This will be vice versa for peg 5

The 45deg field comment is misleading John, I think.  That's a 45deg field is as seen from Station 3 - not a big deal.  From station 1 that 22deg left target becomes a 44deg left target as the angular offset of the station is added to the target angle.  Reverse from station 5 for an effective 88deg field, tho of course the majority of the targets will not be at those extremes as seen by the shooter.  So the horizontal field is really near that of OT and the easing of difficulty lies in fixed height and target speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back