No guns in hotels?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She was a filler Don, not a competitor. Somebody may correct me but i'm not sure her score was even officially recorded.

Violin case with a Thomson sub machine gun in it.
Did you see the TV program about airports some years back, possibly something like 'Airline'. Can't remember.

Bloke gets off a plane at some London hub having embarked at Chicago.He's carrying an instrument case, perhaps a guitar.

Customs fella asks him 'Whats in the case?'.

He's a bit of a comedian and replies 'I'm from Chicago, what do you expect? It's a machine gun'.

Cue several armed officers and a serious conta temp with the hapless idiot getting bounced onto the next flight out, deported and banned from re-entry. It was hilarious to watch at the time! The look on his face was priceless. 

Customs/Immigration officers the world over appear to be selected for their complete lack of sense of humour! Yes they've got a crappy job to do but they seem to go out of their way to make the whole experience even worse imho.

I was once in a security queue waiting to board an internal flight in the U.S. when a fellow passenger in a parallel queue took out the biggest Bowie knife I had ever seen, next to the one in the Crocodile Dundee movie. Without thinking I turned to the chap in the queue next to me and said 'I hope he's not on my plane.'

It took me 30 minutes of 'explaining myself' to a US security bloke to get through the checkpoint! Having a South African accent and a British passport did NOT help. :)  

Just a point , don't know how people carry their guns , but myself my son and friends all use take down cases , when travelling , i,e staying at hotels and have never been asked what's in the cases , and i think not unless you know about shooting would you realise what the cases contains , whereas with a slip i think its a lot more obvious , plus the fact it's a lot easier to conceal a take down case , especially a 'soft case' Also you could give a wide range of answers about the contents !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this thread may have identified a possible new product line (if it's not already out there).  How about security rated gun cases that look like musical instrument cases. The insides could easily be tailored to take a shotgun.  As far as any Hotel staff would know you would be carrying a guitar or something.

Security through obscurity sometimes goes a long way. 

It is for just these reasons that I have been forced to cut short the barrel and stock on my pump action 12. It now fits neatly into a violin case. I have only taken it into Banks and Building Societies until now,  but maybe it is time I tried one of the better class hotels and test their reactions. I have not had the misfortune to be questioned by the Police when taking my gun into any of the aforementioned establishments, but this is probably due to my choosing their shift change times and premises that are in the next town to the one with an open Police Station. In fact I am probably back home and cleaning my gun by the time they arrive at the scene. So, taking all into account it would appear that this young lady was extremely unlucky really.

I think this thread may have identified a possible new product line (if it's not already out there).  How about security rated gun cases that look like musical instrument cases. The insides could easily be tailored to take a shotgun.  As far as any Hotel staff would know you would be carrying a guitar or something.

Security through obscurity sometimes goes a long way. 
Buy one of the gun case rucksack things the europeans use.  I flew into Luton with one the other day and the baggage handlers didn't recognise it as a firearm despite the bloody great sticker on it. Came round the carousel with all the other cases.

Can't see the Mal catching on.

Way back in the mists of time I was invited to shoot in Sark, by a shooting buddy John Jackson, sadly no longer with us. I didn't have a case or slip at the time, so I put my Nikko skeet gun in a plastic carrier bag! Took it on the plane as hand luggage! The only comment I got was from a stewardess who asked me to put a sick bag over the protruding barrels, because it was worrying her as she passed! How things have changed, when I got back I purchased a secondhand instrument case, because funds were tight fitted it out with foam and velvet, which caused some amusement, but served me well for several years!

Way back in the mists of time I was invited to shoot in Sark, by a shooting buddy John Jackson, sadly no longer with us. I didn't have a case or slip at the time, so I put my Nikko skeet gun in a plastic carrier bag! Took it on the plane as hand luggage! The only comment I got was from a stewardess who asked me to put a sick bag over the protruding barrels, because it was worrying her as she passed! How things have changed, when I got back I purchased a secondhand instrument case, because funds were tight fitted it out with foam and velvet, which caused some amusement, but served me well for several years!
Where did you do the shoot?  off the cliffs?   

:santa:

I shot in Sark with Mr Jackson when he hosted the Sporting for the Island Games in 2003. Things where a bit stricter then although the ferry ride over was a bit as you describe.

Did you see the TV program about airports some years back, possibly something like 'Airline'. Can't remember.

Bloke gets off a plane at some London hub having embarked at Chicago.He's carrying an instrument case, perhaps a guitar.

Customs fella asks him 'Whats in the case?'.

He's a bit of a comedian and replies 'I'm from Chicago, what do you expect? It's a machine gun'.

Cue several armed officers and a serious conta temp with the hapless idiot getting bounced onto the next flight out, deported and banned from re-entry. It was hilarious to watch at the time! The look on his face was priceless. 

Customs/Immigration officers the world over appear to be selected for their complete lack of sense of humour! Yes they've got a crappy job to do but they seem to go out of their way to make the whole experience even worse imho.

I was once in a security queue waiting to board an internal flight in the U.S. when a fellow passenger in a parallel queue took out the biggest Bowie knife I had ever seen, next to the one in the Crocodile Dundee movie. Without thinking I turned to the chap in the queue next to me and said 'I hope he's not on my plane.'

It took me 30 minutes of 'explaining myself' to a US security bloke to get through the checkpoint! Having a South African accent and a British passport did NOT help. :)
I remember that,

They also gave an American guy a caution for having a single 9mm round in his shooting jacket pocket which had been left in inadvertently.  (he didnt have his pistol with him) 

It was a good sporting shoot in Sark, can't remember shooting over cliffs, but we had a great time, flew to Guernsey then a little ferry to Sark, the return wasn't so good only one ferry because it was a force 9 gale, mmemorable.

It was a good sporting shoot in Sark, can't remember shooting over cliffs, but we had a great time, flew to Guernsey then a little ferry to Sark, the return wasn't so good only one ferry because it was a force 9 gale, mmemorable.
Yes we flew to Guernsey (got bumped from first class .)  not a happy camper, then the ferry to Sark.

If the big ferry isn't running its a speedboat,   now that is scary !!!!

Ive never shot at Sark, but i have rellys there :)      Always remember the  height of the tides, and the cliff's, hence asking

Yes we flew to Guernsey (got bumped from first class .)  not a happy camper, then the ferry to Sark.

Ive never shot at Sark, but i have rellys there :)      Always remember the  height of the tides, and the cliff's, hence asking

The swell in the little harbour was incredible! We thought the ferry hadn't arrived then it suddenly appeared, we had to throw our gear on, then wait for the next swell and jump on ourselves! Bet they wouldn't allow it now days, nanny state and all!

We shot out over the sea on a number of stands(very tricky) and a memorable one called the suicidal crow! If you missed it, it killed itself against the cliff face anyway. :)

Latest posts

Back