No guns in hotels?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you stick Malmaison into a French to English translator it simply comes back with Malmaison as the translation.

However if you enter Mal maison into the same translator it comes back with 'Wrong House' !

Go figure !

Bunch of ignorant tossers if you ask me and the plod were not much better informed.

DT

Hotshot, you're absolutely right. Rachel was not competing, she was only a filler. To suggest the experience caused a lack of sleep thereby affecting her performance is taking it a little far. It would'nt have made any difference if she'd scored nothing.

Sensationalist and inaccurate journalism, i'd be interested to know who the source was.
Jan - Rachel's score may not have made any difference to the outcome of the games, however I would suspect that this may have been the biggest stage of her shooting career. Rachel was very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to participate, and knowing how very passionate she is about shooting she would have wanted to shoot to the very best of her ability, to do this you have to have focus and be mentally prepared with as little distraction as possible.

I have shot with you on a few occasions and know how focused, concentrated and in the zone you are when shooting, I personally think your comments above ref the lack of sleep affecting her performance and Rachels score counting for nothing is unwarranted. As you know the commonwealth games are a massive televised stage and watched by thousands if not millions of people, had you been in Rachel's shoes you would have taken it extremely seriously and wouldn't have thought for one moment that participation in the games wouldn't count for anything........Just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
My point was less about objections - more about taking personal responsibility and not letting anyone know what I have bought with me..  I am responsible for my SGC, my gun or anything I take - I don't tell the hotel, because quite honestly they are the most likely to have a thief that has a key to the room... so, I keep it to myself.
Can't argue with that. I have expeienced credit card three times in the past and two of those were at Hotels and both high quality ones at that, The point that I was making really was that having asked, if the answer was no then I would find somewhere different to stay.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here to list Gun friendly accommodation in much the same way that there is a pets welcome site. This might even put business the way of supporters of shooting, even fellow shooters, rather than those that are opposed to shooting.

Please do not list 'gun friendly accommodation on an internet site....for the obvious reasons. Suggest you take it to PM's.

Some of us actually need hotels on a regular basis ....and this sort of added publicity is not really what we need. 

There is no reason for any hotel to accept guns if they do not want to....FACT....it is entirely their own choice.

I think this unfortunate story has had enough sensationalising by the media.

I note CPSA, Basc etc etc are now complaining to all and sundry.....and hyping it more....WHY? Why show your teeth on a subject you cannot change?

At least shout about something important if you are going to show your teeth......or instead ....why not give education as to how to travel with guns....on the websites...instead of doing.... Mr Outraged from Bisley HQ or Basc....FFS

That will not change Mal Maison's policy one bit...it is their right to accept or decline any booking....at any late hour of the arrival time. 

Shooters around the UK now know to avoid this chain. They are already on my banned list.

I am getting irritated now by all this mis-information about Rachel by the press...which many feel is detracting focus from the CWG medals won by the actual shooters competing for their country.

I feel very sorry for Rachel as well having to go through this ordeal.

However facts are facts....there is more in the media at the moment about a 'filler' who shot to complete a squad and ensure the timing of the real entrants was not adversely affected....than there is about the shooting medals won by the England team members.

The link on the bottom of most reports then goes on to report about an athlete at the games arrested after a 2am frackarse.....why link this to a shooting story?....Because................. they are both seen as a frackaaaaaaaarse.

Time for this to go away....and put the focus back on those who should be having the media coverage.......'OUR MEDAL WINNING ENGLAND TEAM...!!'

Last edited:
Is it possible for Matt to make a thread for the hotels that is not visible to the public?

That said, who knows who will copy and paste to where so just ignore me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A thread on hotels where guns are NOT WELCOME might be more useful... 

My avatar is a picture of the 'gun' part of my shotgun. With the barrels removed it takes about 20 second to seperate the stock from the action by means of a long allen key up the stock if there is a hole drilled in the recoil pad.

Easy enough to carry that part of it in to an hotel without anyone knowing what it is. Sleep with it under your pillow if needs be!

My avatar is a picture of the 'gun' part of my shotgun. With the barrels removed it takes about 20 second to seperate the stock from the action by means of a long allen key up the stock if there is a hole drilled in the recoil pad.

Easy enough to carry that part of it in to an hotel without anyone knowing what it is. Sleep with it under your pillow if needs be!
So you leave the rest of the "non--gun" parts in the car overnight. You come back to the car in the morning, only to find a window smashed and your collection of Disco hits of the 70's CD's stolen, along with the other component parts of your beautiful Guerini.

Good job you kept the action as the rest of the gun cannot be fired, but I bet you will be in all heaps of trouble with Her Majesty's Constabulary when you tell them you left most of your gun in the car.

Best of luck keeping your licence afterwards too!    :biggrin:

Just take it all in with you and if asked what's in the case, tell them its a musical instrument.  :shifty:

So you leave the rest of the "non--gun" parts in the car overnight. You come back to the car in the morning, only to find a window smashed and your collection of Disco hits of the 70's CD's stolen, along with the other component parts of your beautiful Guerini.

Good job you kept the action as the rest of the gun cannot be fired, but I bet you will be in all heaps of trouble with Her Majesty's Constabulary when you tell them you left most of your gun in the car.

Best of luck keeping your licence afterwards too! :biggrin:
Interestingly, my county force licensing officer told me to split the gun, so I generally take the stock in and leave barrels in car. I would rather the barrels got stolen than the whole gun (whether from car or hotel room) got into the wrong hands.

I also try to enure I am not visibly a gun owner - nothing on car or visible, and I try to dress normally when travelling - ie. no shooting t shirts or obvious shooting attire.

At the end of the day, you can't eliminate risk of theft but I can reduce it, and there's different legitimate ways of doing so.

Sarah has hit the nail on the head. Stock in hotel room barrel in car and nothing on display advertise your a shooter. Job done. Simples

I have been shooting in Europe, Northern Africa and South Africa since 2000. Your best bet is to get a car that has a large boot (trunk) that can store all your luggage and firearm case. I usually leave the shotgun in the boot in the indoor hotel parking. Nobody sees it and nobody knows about it! But don't get a hatchback where someone can see you placing the firearm in the boot!  I lost a briefcase and computer that way but they did not take the golf clubs!

Henry

Sara

sorry i blame predictive text and scotch

Hi all, some clarity needed here, when I suggested if you are worried about security whilst travelling away with a shotgun, then take the action with you, and leave the rest concealed in car locked in the boot

Hi all, some clarity needed here, when I suggested if you are worried about security whilst travelling away with a shotgun, then take the action with you, and leave the rest in your car, locked in the boot, it was meant as added security, not a complete solution! I would rather fill out an insurance form, and explain to the police the reason for my actions, than be responsible for an unlicenced person running around the county with my working shotgun!

Security and not allowing something on the premises are different. They can ban golf clubs, tennis racquets fishing rods if they like however I am unable to find this policy of Mal maison anywhere in the public domain......some airlines snd train companies do the same but it is specified in the terms. If you ring a hotel and ask I would expect the stock answer to be "no" but I wouldn't ask as unless it is clearly stated in the terms of the contract then it has nothing to do with them.... I wonder who it was that recognised "perazzi'" thought it was a rifle and informed the hotel??? Unlike beretta not a household name in the uk and certainly not for rifles......

while we are on the subject does anyone know how the lady in question got on? have seen no mention of a score anywhere here or on FB???

Latest posts

Back