Disturbing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure SGC’s are going to end up like FAC’s, or they will be similar. 
We may no longer be able to have multiple shotguns unless we have enough slots on our tickets. And for that we will need to show good reason. The same could happen with the amount of ammo we are allowed to have at any given time. 
I think it is also possible that we may need to prove that we belong to a club or have permission to shoot over a bit of land. 
The possibilities are truly endless. What is almost a forgone conclusion is that things will become tighter and the cost of a SGC or FAC will increase. 
If safety, security and efficiency can all be improved, then I guess the extra cost may  be worth it. IF being the operative word of course. 🤔

15 hours ago, Les53 said:
Correct, but only because there’s one police force covering the whole of the country. Prior to the creation of Police Scotland firearms licenses were administered at a county level, just as they are in England and Wales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, but only because there’s one police force covering the whole of the country. Prior to the creation of Police Scotland firearms licenses were administered at a county level, just as they are in England and Wales.
Ah I see, cheers Jan 👍

I’m sure SGC’s are going to end up like FAC’s, or they will be similar. 
We may no longer be able to have multiple shotguns unless we have enough slots on our tickets. And for that we will need to show good reason. The same could happen with the amount of ammo we are allowed to have at any given time. 
I think it is also possible that we may need to prove that we belong to a club or have permission to shoot over a bit of land. 
The possibilities are truly endless. What is almost a forgone conclusion is that things will become tighter and the cost of a SGC or FAC will increase. 
If safety, security and efficiency can all be improved, then I guess the extra cost may  be worth it. IF being the operative word of course. 🤔

Sincerely hope not, for the police do not have the resources now to within firearms licensing, treat all firearms like section 1 and it will be another nail in the coffin of shooting.   The certificate fees will be many hundreds of pounds to pay for the additional police resource,  shotgun sales and cartridges will further collapse a significant part of an RFDs turnover will see them close. Your shotguns will devalue overnight.

Then why does anybody think putting all firearms on section 1 or limiting the quantity of shotgun cartridge possessed would stop another mass shooting?  you only need one gun and what 25 cartridges.

Scotland was mentioned re how they licence firearms,  no direct experience, only that they have put all air guns on to certificates, unlike the rest of the U.K and were the first to introduce GP medical reports.

Plymouth was a massive failing by D&C to apply the current guidance, let’s not forget that or allow the blame to be put on firearm holders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sincerely hope not, for the police do not have the resources now to within firearms licensing, treat all firearms like section 1 and it will be another nail in the coffin of shooting.   The certificate fees will be many hundreds of pounds to pay for the additional police resource,  shotgun sales and cartridges will further collapse a significant part of an RFDs turnover will see them close. Your shotguns will devalue overnight.

Then why does anybody think putting all firearms on section 1 or limiting the quantity of shotgun cartridge possessed would stop another mass shooting?  you only need one gun and what 25 cartridges.

Scotland was mentioned re how they licence firearms,  no direct experience, only that they have put all air guns on to certificates, unlike the rest of the U.K and were the first to introduce GP medical reports.

Plymouth was a massive failing by D&C to apply the current guidance, let’s not forget that or allow the blame to be put on firearm holders.
I couldn’t agree more mate. But sure as god made little green apples, we are going to get it in the neck and/or the pocket. 

I suppose it's a sign of the times, and in a good way, that the inquiry into the Plymouth incident was made public and not hidden away for a 100yrs like previous ones. But like the others it always seems to be the shooting community that suffer the consequences for failings to Police it correctly. 

What amazes me is whenever there is an incident with a legally held gun there is a hell of a fuss and talk of tighter restrictions. However when illegally held guns are used like in the Liverpool incident you never hear anything about tightening up on them!

It is a pity that BASC, CPSA, CLA etc don't have the clout of the NRA in the US where even the government don't win against them.

It is a pity that BASC, CPSA, CLA etc don't have the clout of the NRA in the US where even the government don't win against them.
But would we want to end up like them, with what seems like no restrictions at all

But the NRA buy their political clout that's the problem, not saying it doesn't happen here as when you look at the declared interests payments with our politicians it raises a few eyebrows. Unfortunately in this country it would be political suicide for a politician to promote anything gun related.

What amazes me is whenever there is an incident with a legally held gun there is a hell of a fuss and talk of tighter restrictions. However when illegally held guns are used like in the Liverpool incident you never hear anything about tightening up on them!
Legal gun owners are a soft target and easy to find! 

But the NRA buy their political clout that's the problem, not saying it doesn't happen here as when you look at the declared interests payments with our politicians it raises a few eyebrows. Unfortunately in this country it would be political suicide for a politician to promote anything gun related.
Well over the past few years we’ve had quite a few kamikaze politicians in this country! 😂😂😂

After a what I call it a difference of a opinion with a police officer I was served with revocation notice from Devon & Cornwall police with armed police at my door as I was away they come back more than 3 times on my ring door bell, once is contact I asked was this to seize my guns that I have in my possession for 15 yrs which the officer replied 100% no which I have recorded they turned up 13dec and seized my guns siting the plymouth incident as everyone has said costs to fight this is in the thousands to get back never been arrested and no criminal record very heavy handed tactics that I will never help police again

Scotland:
First time post I think :)

I believe our renewals last time went through just prior to the centralisation in Scotland. When it was down to the local PC handling the renewals in my experience it just depended upon how they felt about shooting sports. The last renewal was dealt with by a civilian not a PC. Shortly after the renewal we moved house and a PC visited to inspect the cabinet. He was more concerned about lecturing me not to store any air 'weapons' (we're talking sub 12ft pounds) in the cabinet as both my wife and I have keys (both have shotguns); but she doesn't have an air 'weapon' certificate. It was suggested that I was better off using a trigger lock and putting the gun in my wardrobe! All of the discussion was hypothetical as I dont even have an air gun! A few hours after the PC visited his sgt called us to say the PC had covid and had potentially passed it on to the 13 people he was visiting that day! Covid and air gun discussions not with standing all our renewals have been fine, in fact I think one rental they were chasing us.

I see a shotgun as a sporting item and really dont like how its always referred to as a 'weapon'. The Scottish sub 12ft pounds air certifcate is called an 'air weapon certificate'. It immediately draws negative connotations about its potential use. By way of example, archers aren't lambasted about their bows being weapons (and they can be just as dangerous if used for nefarious reasons).

A friend recently had to call the FEO on the new system and said they weren't very helpful. But this is 3rd party experience, not my own so I'm not sure. He's in the north Highlands and was put through to somebody in Glasgow - 5 hours away.

Nothing new. Years ago I owned Border Tackle and Guns in Langholm high street and also Annandale shooting ground on the Earl of Annandales Estate. After the Dunblane massacre in 1996 and despite following all the protocol for gun stores, firearms sales etc. I had multiple visits from the local constabulary and the Chief constable. He told me in no uncertain terms that I was a thorn in his side and he would do everything he could to close me down. That's exactly what he did with Thistle Shooting supplies in Lochar Briggs. I sold up and moved here to the US, best move I ever made.

Back