New or S/H

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks anyone else from shootclay going to Owls Lodge this Saturday? If you have a Beretta come along.....meet Santa and let him have a go with your gun.....please.

Aiming to meet at about 11am and have a ping on the sporting.

Santa....if you want a trip out ...and can get to Hampshire (Owls Lodge) on this Saturday....I will bring an MK38 with adjustable comb that you can try out for as long as you want ...they have sporting , skeet and trap there. Just send me a pm if you are interested.

You can also try a Miroku 6000 as well (adjustable) to see a different type. There is bound to be someone there with a Beretta and will borrow that for you as well (as they are all friendly down there). Only thing I cannot guarantee is that you hit something....'that' my friend is up to you :wink:
Repeat, nice one Nic,

Santa....In case you missed it on the other post......for tomorrow .......

Top - Beretta 682

Middle - MIROKU MK38

Bottom - MIROKU MK6000

If any other newbie thinking of what gun to buy and if looking at either of these types...fancy a drive out to Owls Lodge....then you can try them.

Please note ....none of these are for sale.....only to try.

post-17-0-10816400-1376058189.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Santa....In case you missed it on the other post......for tomorrow .......

Top - Beretta 682

Middle - MIROKU MK38

Bottom - MIROKU MK6000

If any other newbie thinking of what gun to buy and if looking at either of these types...fancy a drive out to Owls Lodge....then you can try them.

Please note ....none of these are for sale.....only to try.
At the risk of a lot of abuse as a Beretta user nice to see you put. beretta TOP,

Only jesting Miroooook users I know its only reference just couldn't stop myself :)))

Just got back

Wow what a day,  :) :)

Nicola, many thanks for organising it,   And  thank you to all the people i met and offered advice today,

I'm hopless with names, but ok with faces.

It was great to get so much support  (especially from a  commonwealth gold winner :) :))

A great bunch of people, and i hope to meet you all again :)

Narrowed the gun list down somewhat, so It may be easier  or harder  .

Although i did have a leftfield curveball thown in at the end   (as you probably saw)

Mart

I am glad that it all worked out. I would have loved to have had that opportunity when I was purchasing my gun. As it it I think I got lucky and had some good advice as I bought a gun unseen and I am not exactly a normal shape.

I'm quite interested to find out what the preferred shotgun was??

I have been shooting a short time (9ish months) and bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 (new) 28 inch and started shooting skeet for my first 7 months of shooting, found the gun good to use.

I shot a fair few guns from other shooters who were more than generous to let me shoot a round of skeet to see how the different guns felt!
I then bought a Miroku mk70 30 inch and it was luuuuverly....personally found it so much better than any Beretta I had including the DT10 & DT11, infact I thought the 692 felt the same as the Silver Pigeon 1...not impressed!! The 682 Gold E was the best Beretta I shot!!! Miroku's are so good and it was a grade 5 with a beautiful piece of wood S/H!

For the previous 2 months I have been shooting a lot of Sporting and Sport Trap (and Skeet) and recently bought a S/H (practically new 1 week a go) Blaser F3 Pro 32inch and it is perfect for me, better balanced and trigger pull is great!!

Although, I have to admit that I don't actually shoot any better with the Blaser but it feels better balanced for me!!

If I was given any advice when I started out 9 months ago, I wish I was told about Miroku's from day dot...value for money and a great gun

MK38 is a great gun

Good luck shooting...

Good to meet you today Martin, glad you enjoyed the day.

We started of with a bit of sporting, with Marting shooting rabbits for the first time along with a low quartering away bird, moved onto a left to right high crosser and a right to left dropping crosser, these were all shoot with Nicola's selection of guns and my Browning 525 sporter, Teepee also let him have a go with his Gamba on a Battue target off he bank.

We then moved on to shooting DTL, however this was broken so we had to shoot Skeet instead, again a selection of guns,even mu 32" XTR trap gun, was used to gain a feel for how each shot and what the difference is between differing types and makes.

Next up was OT and Martin was game for a go hence the coaching from a commonwealth gold medalist. This was shot with the 525 sporter, not the most ideal gun for OT but a few targets were broken, which is very good for a beginner at one of the most difficult discplines.

Might have to shoot a bit more OT myself, as I hit 18 ex 25,  but me and Hazel had to leave with other things to do. It good to see Tobi back out shooting again and a brief talk with Joe from here, although he had to go home early without doing much shooting.

Yeap great day out and Martin's head will be spinning......I have a feeling that the MK38 and the Beretta 682 might loose out to a Browning :wink: but that is what the day was about.....it is what suits 'you' and not your mate.

It was handy and very kind that Chris Dean stood with Martin during the OT as he is a great shot and very nice man. I loved the way the shouted a roar when you hit one. Nearly shat myself the first time...... L. O. L.

Nice to meet you Martin....I hope you know what you are looking for now.

Great to see Tobiwan again......well done on the OT.....

By the way.....have I told you I hate ducking skeet..........!!!! :laugh:

Yeap great day out and Martin's head will be spinning......I have a feeling that the MK38 and the Beretta 682 might loose out to a Browning :wink: but that is what the day was about.....it is what suits 'you' and not your mate.

It was handy and very kind that Chris Dean stood with Martin during the OT as he is a great shot and very nice man. I loved the way the shouted a roar when you hit one. Nearly shat myself the first time...... L. O. L.

Nice to meet you Martin....I hope you know what you are looking for now.

Great to see Tobiwan again......well done on the OT.....

By the way.....have I told you I hate ducking skeet..........!!!! :laugh:
Yea right, :biggrin:

For some one who hates Skeet, you did very well, 

Mind you i was chuffed to bits to take 2 on the crossover   :)

I tried a Beretta Dt10 on the way out,  a tad long 32" and heavy for me , but i still managed to bag a few birds  (need to get head round shooting in front .) ... also got some comparisons regarding  sil pigs  / 686 / 682   & 525

Seen a very nice 682 gold e  --  right on my upper budget, so may need some hard sell to SWMBO ;) nice wood ;)     or  a straight 682  and 686 which are  more competitivly (sp)  priced ..

Funny enough  525's with adjustable comb's are a bit thin on the ground ...

Thanks to all for taking the time to let me try the guns, and advice    my head is still reeling  (in a nice way :) ) , and i'm still buzzing  :)

Im certianly going to come back to Owls,  Id like to have another crack at the olympic trap & DTL  & Skeet etc :)

I'll try and persuade my Skeet shooting friend to join me

For those following the thread, my  choices of gun were as follows

BTW these are my own opinions,  ;)

Mk38 - I found slightly heavy and a bit thumpy on the recoil,  the double bead was a tad confusing , (as was shooting with one eye closed   DOH)

682 - Nice to shoot,   but at this time didnt connect,  nothing jumped out if you know what i mean

525 - As you may have guessed, i liked this gun,  it may have been the way Andy has it set up, but it felt well balanced  and was nice to shoot,   (only problem was it misses lots of the time ;) ;)  - might need a new operator .

my OT score was 2 ex 25   - better than i thought though

Mart

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 525 with adjustable comb. Let me know when you come back and I will bring it down :wink:

Brownings & Mirokus are brilliant guns and don't cost the earth!!!

It's great to have an opportunity to try before you buy but even the same gun can shoot differently!

It doesn't really matter what brand it is or what what it looks like or how much it costs...it's how it feels and shoots when you have it!!!

Shoot well...

Mart,

Just for your info:

My Browning is a 525 30" multi choke sporter called the Premium Gold, black action with the birds in flight being gold coloured and grade 2 1/2 woodwork. This gun also comes with Briley extended chokes as standard, the trap forend installed, was added only just this year by myself, although I still have the original sporting fore end in the cabinet. The adjustable comb was a conversion that I had done, as I need the comb to be offset for the correct eye alignment down the rib, although to be fair I originally had the comb converted to be able to use a half high rib on the gun for shooting Helice with.

The length of pull is 14 1/2", although this is to the trigger blade which is adjustable on my gun and the standard Browning curved butt pad has been removed and the stock length cut down so that a 19mm Isis green recoil pad could be installed. I paid around £150 to have the adjustable comb conversion down but did the cutting down of the stock and the installation of the Isis green pad myself.

The balance of the gun is acheived by inserting lead weights into the stock bolt hole, cannot remember how much though.

I've had the gun from new and has shot many thousands of cartidges with the only problem being light strikes on the bottom barrel,on a certain make of cartridges, which was solved by cleaning out the firing pin hole and installing longer firing pins and springs from J & P Custom Springs from the USA.

Another one thats crossing the radar at the moment is the Browning Ulta XS,  supposedly based on the 525 action

Mart

Ok, time for a further update ....

Just been out this morning and tried the following 2 guns

Browning Ultra XS  - 32"  with a recoil damper pad

Browning Cynergy - 30"  with the synthetic stock

I shot 50 clays,  25@ 24G  25@ 28G

Browning ultra -   Nice to mount,  (although the hydraulic pad takes some getting used to)  but i think the stock was again to long for my short frame. Managed to get some nice crosser's and rabbits :)   bye bye legs ..    The gun felt nice, no difference in recoil from the 24's or 28's. 

Not keen on the double bead system though, may see if they can be removed

Also operating a trap by yourself  even with delay, took some getting used to ., and may have accounted for some of the misses

Browning cynergy  30"

Again nice to mount, and quite sweet to shoot,  The 28G loads were easy to handle and the gun swings quite nicely, 

Downside was the comb, didnt feel as if it was mounted into the cheek firmly, and  i suspect this may have had an effect on my aim. & hits  Again the bead system was too distracting,  

So looking at the two, i think the XS in a 30" length may be the one to go for  

(although i know the Cynergy comes with an adjustable wood stock)  .

Would i be better going for the XT though  and making adjustments when i do sporting,   (as i quite like the skeet & OT  )  Thanks Nicola :) :)

Or go for the Sporting and make adjustments on Skeet  and OT

Mart :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Browning have made many different models of shotgun but the Cynergy is the only one that I have heard universally criticised ! I am sure someone will be along to set you right though but the XS sounds like the better option purely as a gun and don't knock the double bead its a good way of checking gun mount but as they say each to their own. I am new to the game like your self and have an XTR which I think is really a nice gun to shoot and in the right hands can shoot very well... if only I had the right hands! :)

Well,

A spot of retail therapy was completed today, and im the proud owner of a

Shotgun ;) ...

To be precise, - A Beretta 686E  adjustable, 

After shooting again with a silver pigeon, and finding it nice to hold and swing , i  decided that it had to be one from that ilk.

THe 686e adjustable was  everything i wanted , right hand, barrel length & had a factory comb adjuster built in :)

Weight is fine....

Now to go and play :)

Mart

Back