New or S/H

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very eminent scientist told me once if you want to get a really good CV profile choose a subject or discipline which is obscure or less popular than the mainstream that way you are far more likely to succeed. I think that is true for all things in life including shooting... true story! 
What obscure discipline did you choose then?

Or are you talking here about me ...but are too timid to say what you are trying to say

Back on thread Santa.....(and sorry for the distraction)

There is no need at all to buy a new gun. There are many second hand great guns around. Don't be afraid of speaking to people you see at a ground who might have a gun that you have been looking at ...even if you do not know them....ask them to try it. Most people will be happy to let you try a few shots (obviously don't ask during competition).

Look Nic go back and read my post #25 then read your post #26 which refers to my post erroneously! I never made that suggestion I was making the suggestion that buying a good secondhand gun, not necessarily a Beretta, may be a better way forward for this man. He, if I am interpreting his original post correctly, is on a budget. I was merely saying, but not in the exact words, that buying the correct gun once may be the better option to buying a lesser gun and replacing it later after an alteration which could make the gun more difficult to sell.  And nowhere have I used the word "Perazzi" in any of my posts on this thread.

Wow,  thanks for the input, its a great thread.

just to bring everyone up to speed....

Grade 1 or 5 is immaterial to me, my only requirement is an adjustable comb..    its either a cheaper gun & £300 on later down the line, .(. but i wouldnt be able to use it straight off with any decent sucess)

or an allready modified comb... with the £300 allready factored in    and can be used straight away

Re trying before i buy, 

local to me, only one place has a Mk38 from my searching ( and thats non adjustable)  .. might see if i can get to one  this weekend if poss

The other curveball is   the holidays :( :)    right now  my purchase ranks bottom of the list according to swmbo . as entertaining everone else is top of the list  :)

Mart

Look Nic go back and read my post #25 then read your post #26 which refers to my post erroneously! I never made that suggestion I was making the suggestion that buying a good secondhand gun, not necessarily a Beretta, may be a better way forward for this man. He, if I am interpreting his original post correctly, is on a budget. I was merely saying, but not in the exact words, that buying the correct gun once may be the better option to buying a lesser gun and replacing it later after an alteration which could make the gun more difficult to sell. And nowhere have I used the word "Perazzi" in any of my posts on this thread.
Jwp.. friend ....I say this to you in the nicest way I can.... Post 26 of mine was to the OP and the forum if any was interested.It was not a reply to you in any way. If I want to reply directly to a person I use the quote like now.

What we are both saying is more or less the same thing.

You said above 'good second hand'.....I said the cheap MK38 . The MK 38 is a great gun and the grade only refers to the stock/engraving.... Hence I gave the very good advice of.....'buy cheap'....either of the MK38's would do......if you like the gun....and at a later date....if you had decided on the Gr1....and......you want something that looks better then you can change the stock very easily or buy a different gun.

Re Perazzi......the Hampster brought it in....you agreed....and went on to other comments from there. All really unnecessary . It would have been better to pm me and I would have been happy to clarify for you.

Last edited:
Wow,  thanks for the input, its a great thread.

just to bring everyone up to speed....

Grade 1 or 5 is immaterial to me, my only requirement is an adjustable comb..    its either a cheaper gun & £300 on later down the line, .(. but i wouldnt be able to use it straight off with any decent sucess)

or an allready modified comb... with the £300 allready factored in    and can be used straight away

Re trying before i buy, 

local to me, only one place has a Mk38 from my searching ( and thats non adjustable)  .. might see if i can get to one  this weekend if poss

The other curveball is   the holidays :( :)    right now  my purchase ranks bottom of the list according to swmbo . as entertaining everone else is top of the list  :)

Mart
Santa....if you want a trip out ...and can get to Hampshire (Owls Lodge) on this Saturday....I will bring an MK38 with adjustable comb that you can try out for as long as you want ...they have sporting , skeet and trap there. Just send me a pm if you are interested.

You can also try a Miroku 6000 as well (adjustable) to see a different type. There is bound to be someone there with a Beretta and will borrow that for you as well (as they are all friendly down there). Only thing I cannot guarantee is that you hit something....'that' my friend is up to you :wink:

Santa....if you want a trip out ...and can get to Hampshire (Owls Lodge) on this Saturday....I will bring an MK38 with adjustable comb that you can try out for as long as you want ...they have sporting , skeet and trap there. Just send me a pm if you are interested.

You can also try a Miroku 6000 as well (adjustable) to see a different type. There is bound to be someone there with a Beretta and will borrow that for you as well (as they are all friendly down there). Only thing I cannot guarantee is that you hit something....'that' my friend is up to you :wink:
That is a very generous offer.

Santa get over there.

The 6000 is a very nice gun....................

I am somewhat biased

Thats a generous offer :)

Just go to nip out for a few hours....    ill drop a mail when i get back    btw where is owls?

Mart :)  

That's an offer not to refuse.., Nice one Nic.!

That is a very generous offer.

Santa get over there.

The 6000 is a very nice gun....................

I am somewhat biased
The 6000 is an example of exactly what I have been trying to say (albeit....it seems clumsily)..... I bought it dirt cheap in Ireland £600 about 3 or 4 years ago. It had a terrible yellowy orange wood. I shot it and thought yes I like it......and once I decided I was keeping it....I took it for a trip to Italy (Essiviere) and had a nice stock and fore end on. (And I do not mean top wood....before anyone starts.......but dark wood. I prefer dark wood. Nothing fancy because I do not do 'fancy' .)

In other words you can always take the floorboard off and put something nicer on......'if' .....it s a keeper...!!

I bought new for my first gun on the thinking it would be a gun for life.

The trouble is most people I know bought their first gun based on reviews and advice of others. If the shooting bug then gets you and after shooting a while you will form your own ideas based on your own experiences and chances are you will hanker after something else usually after about 2 years anyway.

I would not buy new again unless I won big on the lotto and even then I still would not buy it I would have a man for that sort of thing.

If you have convinced yourself you are not going to shoot well with the new gun until its altered some time down the line then don't get it, buy the one you feel you can shoot from the off.

First impressions and your head are more important, if you start off convinced the gun is deficient in the first few months of ownership then that stigma will stick psychologically and not a good idea.

This shooting lark is 9/10 in the head.

Just my thoughts.

Just before I pop out.......I know several members of this forum will be at Owls Lodge on Saturday....so anyone got a Beretta that Santa can try??

I own four shotguns - one of them bought brand new, all the rest S/H. Interestingly, the only one I've ever had issues with (slight build issue with solder working its way loose at the muzzle-end) is the new one - an easy job for the place where I bought it to fix, but not what you expect from a gun less than a year old from new (to me).

Were I to be in the market for another gun, I'd probably go for a S/H one - as it's been worn-in and, in all probability, assuming it's not been caned by the previous owner(s), in which case, it should be pretty obvious on handling/shooting it, you can hit the ground running without any of the stiff-action (phernnarr) you get with a new gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Santa2512

I hope you can interpret my post and appreciate the sentiment in which it was posted. I am sorry your thread has degenerated into a school yard squabble. I hope you get sorted out with the right gun for you! In the spirit of friendship and harmony you are most welcome to visit me here in France at anytime during the season where I will be able to take you to a couple of shooting grounds where you will be able to enjoy shooting friends guns from Beretta, Browning and Krieghoff through to Perazzi, Kemen and many others you won't find a more generous and enthusiastic shooting fraternity than those in France.

best regards

John 

Santa2512

I hope you can interpret my post and appreciate the sentiment in which it was posted. I am sorry your thread has degenerated into a school yard squabble. I hope you get sorted out with the right gun for you! In the spirit of friendship and harmony you are most welcome to visit me here in France at anytime during the season where I will be able to take you to a couple of shooting grounds where you will be able to enjoy shooting friends guns from Beretta, Browning and Krieghoff through to Perazzi, Kemen and many others you won't find a more generous and enthusiastic shooting fraternity than those in France.

best regards

John 
Another kind offer not to refuse...might think about buying another gun myself!

All,

Many thanks for all your reply's   there all fasinating to read,  and show how passionate you all are about the sport,

I didnt expect to get so much feedback :)    and  please dont worry about  the nuances within posts,  im very open minded, and can see the points people are  trying to impart to me. 

( Trust me i have the remnants of other expensive hobbys littered round the house :)    (some from good advice, and quite a bit from when i didnt heed it .) 

It may be the case i find nothing i  like  ( god forbid)   and i have to increase the budget further  .... Actually thats quite easy, I just move more onto the naughty list, and save the costs:)

Mart

Santa2512

best regards

John 
John,  once i sort out a suitable gun, i may well take you up on the offer :)

Mart

Mart, take up Nicola's offer, for your first gun I would definitely go for the MK38 or similar, you will more then likely end up having some stock work done, even if its to shorten or lengthen the stock, or change the grip/trigger positions etc. I shoot a modified MK38 Trap, needs a new pad now I managed to snap the last one and this will be done next week, could do it myself but too busy doing other 'stuff'...

Let us all know what you go for...

santa

take up nicola's very kind offer .  the more guns you try the better informed you will be. If I were down south you would have been welcome to try my 682 gold e. unfortunately I'm not. sorry.If you are ever in the midlands drop me a line.

Well done Nic.

jasper 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back