New or S/H

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

This has probably been done to death, so i'll keep it short

As you all know i'm looking to purchase my first gun ..

It will need to fit me from the off, so no point faffing around  (its going to need a comb riser, and a short stock)

Ive narrowed it down to either a Beretta 682  or similar (686)

Or the Miroku Mk38 

Now comes the 64,000 dollar question

Bear in mind ive only held these in the shops, ive not fired either...   

I'm not that close to a club so to speak, and whilst i'm a fairly open and chatty person, i dont find the thought of rocking up to people at a club  that appealing, and asking to try there guns ... seems a little odd,  (not to mention there going to think i'm the guy on the bus with the baked bean tin . )

So most of the target pric range ive seen ( Guns I can actually identify to a gun shop) are running about the £1500 mark

Option 1 is a SH MK38 G5 with comb riser & adjustable butt plate / pad at £1550 

Option 2 is the same model  New - G1 with an adjustable riser, but will more than likley need 1/2 inch off the stock  £1610

(ive never heard of the dealer, and found the gun during a search - but the shop is located in manchester)

im quite happy to go either way, or should i  look at somthing round the £900 mark but similar

Mart

Second hand G5 for me.

Depends if you want warranty etc.

Miroku make a solid gun tbh.

I would spend a little less maybe and see how you get on?

Second hand.

Miroku....good reliable gun.

There is nothing wrong with buying a second hand gun. The thing that would be a real help to you would be if you knew someone who is experienced in the ins and out of the shotgun. I would look on here there is a Mk38 for sale and a 682. Chances are a gun sold on here is going to be a bargain provided you know you stuff. If you buy from a shop you might get some warranty.

edit

The 682 is immaculate from the pics with 32" tubes the Mk38 has a few marks but has had some work done on it to make it a bit special.

might be nothing but the 682 is being sold by someone who has only been on here for less than a week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes very often a gun is bought and its just not right so is sold on and the seller takes the hit!
Don't get me wrong, my gun is fine and will be sticking with it but sometimes think a higher grade has a nicer look about it. Won't make me hit any more clays, mind so I won't be changing it for a while yet...

just gone through this process with my nephew on a budget of less than a grand. so in summary at this price point the new stuff is no much cop. and a lot of 2nd hand stuff looks well over the odds . trawled round the gamefair with cash to burn and found zilch worth the cash. bought this week a nice mirook 3800 gd1  with 32" tubes and teagues and forcing cones sorted   ,private sale gun not advertised.. the quality is just superb . so well made and finished its unreal.the new stuff at this money is just not in the same league. So i would wait for the right gun 2nd hand and enjoy.

I upgraded recently from a 686 I had from new for four years to a second hand DT10 had a load of problems with it, repaired twice and ended up sending back and getting DT11. Enjoying shooting it now!

Would agree on the money savings on a second hand one but you don't know the history and use of it! Especially after my recent experience! Still sorted out now!

I won't be changing for a long time.

yep jason hear what you say . however the mirook above was purchased from a good friend so history and use and maintenance all known quantities. Although i realise this may not always be possible,  for santa and others new to the game.. a used gun at a reputable dealer is still a good option. And with the way things are going he will not lose a penny on the mirook .......

enjoy the Dt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would spend sub £1k on an MK38 G1 SH and see how you go.  If you don't get on with it you can sell it again and lose nothing.  If you do get on with it you can either chop it in for a G5 that you want or spend money on the one you have and have it made to fit you etc.

A G5 won't work any better than a G1, just looks nicer.

Whichever, the MK is a solid reliable, well made gun.

yep jason hear what you say . however the mirook above was purchased from a good friend so history and use and maintenance all known quantities. Although i realise this may not always be possible,  for santa and others new to the game.. a used gun at a reputable dealer is still a good option.

enjoy the Dt.
Yeah I would agree in general before my last experience! If maintenance etc is know from friend then it's a good thing! I just had a worn out gun maybe! Still not worrying about that anymore. Thanks enjoying it very much!

Short circuit the whole learning curve thing and just buy a nearly new 682e for keeps.

I would spend sub £1k on an MK38 G1 SH and see how you go.  If you don't get on with it you can sell it again and lose nothing.  If you do get on with it you can either chop it in for a G5 that you want or spend money on the one you have and have it made to fit you etc.

A G5 won't work any better than a G1, just looks nicer.

Whichever, the MK is a solid reliable, well made gun.
there is no mk38 sub £1k any more. just spent 2 days at CLA looking...

Jasper, there were 114 sub £1K guns advertised on Guntrader a few minutes ago.

Obviously some will be awful but I am sure we could find something nice out of 114.

Been using  Guntrader & Gunstar....

Plenty of GD1 Mk 38's  

But narrow it down to 30" - Adjustable comb & 14 /14 stock,  and the pickings become thin on the ground

Trouble is, i need a high comb,  a standard trap  stock wont work,

a longer stock length is OK but would need cutting down for me to get to the trigger 

(and its got to be from a dealer )  - credit card payment to cover any issues ;)

Mart  

Back