Lost my mojo

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the middle of teh above comments, but some of that is down to my in-experience possibly.

I shoot registered comps, and shoot them seriously with others who are all better than me, and who are slowly dragging me upwards with word of advice.

But like yesterday, I went and shot a non registered shoot on my own and had a thoroughly enjoyable time and managed to hit a decent score for me.

Maybe you just need to change the habbits you have got into, and/or the people whom you shoot with. I know that there are 3 individuals who when they arrive to shoot and join the group I will shoot poorly.

Just keep trying and trying hard, am sure the light at the end of teh tunnel is on for you
you probably shot better in the none reg because you were more relaxed and had no stress. There it a fine line between determination to win, concentration etc and putting to much pressure on yourself and trying to hard. From my personal experience trying to hard is a definite problem and will make me tense which effects a nice smooth swing and also makes you hang on to the shot trying to see a shot picture and ensure a hit.

IMO you must enter a comp or indeed even practice with a relaxed and confident mind. One must also live in the moment and not ponder on what was or what could be.

This is very very difficult to achieve which is presumably what the phsyco coaches are for.

Many of us can shoot well few of us have the mental capacity to win consistently that is what separates mere mortals from the super human shooters on the world cup stage. That and of course the money and time to practice daily.

Ps. IMO shooting every week with the same people can be a problem for many reasons and personally at a big shoot i prefer not to shoot with people i know to well therefore i have no interest in there performance.

Social shooting is one thing. Competition shooting is another. To make practice effective you should like you're competing. @ gave me that piece of advice and very useful it is too. 

I always advise at this time of year to take 4-6 weeks off, a time to switch off find hunger again and then start a new campaign - also helps to find the mojo.

Don't like the sound of 6 weeks of not shooting, i would go stir crazy.

Don't like the sound of 6 weeks of not shooting, i would go stir crazy.
Very personal this one. I always say 'know your own head' as contrasting methods work for different folk. I got into a bad slump after using prescription glasses. Felt like quitting! Had to talk to myself and realised that while I had initially had a visual perception problem, it had likely started turning into a 'bad state of mind' more than anything else. Gave myself a stiff talking to along the lines of 'stop thinking about it and shoot'. Very quickly returned to form. The mind is sure tied to the physical event, that's for sure..

I lost my mojo with St bloody Jude....who i have always thought was a bit of a $£at.....!

But now that the power and water are back...I feel somewhat happier....and when the water has warmed up....i will be taking a very long bath until i turn into something resembling a prune.....but with my mojo spilling over......I might even take a little sustenance in there with me....because I can... :wink:

......just saying..!

Very personal this one. I always say 'know your own head' as contrasting methods work for different folk. I got into a bad slump after using prescription glasses. Felt like quitting! Had to talk to myself and realised that while I had initially had a visual perception problem, it had likely started turning into a 'bad state of mind' more than anything else. Gave myself a stiff talking to along the lines of 'stop thinking about it and shoot'. Very quickly returned to form. The mind is sure tied to the physical event, that's for sure..
Thought all my shouts of 'well done' or 'I'm behind you' ......worked for you at Owls Lodge's last registered.

Thought all my shouts of 'well done' or 'I'm behind you' ......worked for you at Owls Lodge's last registered.
It was the most well balanced my head has been for ages. Nicola is my mojo mascot!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clever as you say we are all different. I would not criticise Mr coley advice but Personally i have always shot my way out of a slump of which there have been many. Never needed to re-boot my hunger because its never gone i think my loss of mojo have been down to bad habits / bad timing issues creeping in over time and the dreaded over analysing of which i am very prone. Not to mention forced change to style due to various ailments mainly back issues. I do not doubt that a rest may work for some but i have never considered anything in life will improve by not doing it. Apart from that you are a long time dead and i haven't the time not to shoot.

It was the most well balanced my head has been for ages. Nicola is my mojo mascot!! :)
when you have finished with her kindly send her back up north as a mojo maskot is needed here too.

Yes, define mojo. I never wanted to stop but was so pissed off with shooting 10-15 fewer than I usually do. That is two classes in ESP! At that point you can skulk away or come out fighting, depending on your own personality. I suppose if you have never shot well it would be easy to be defeated but if you know the form is in there it must be possible to find it again. Cling to that positive thought.

Yes, define mojo. I never wanted to stop but was so pissed off with shooting 10-15 fewer than I usually do. That is two classes in ESP! At that point you can skulk away or come out fighting, depending on your own personality. I suppose if you have never shot well it would be easy to be defeated but if you know the form is in there it must be possible to find it again. Cling to that positive thought.
your dead right there mate its very annoying and frustrating when you know you have it in you but as you know the more you try the worse it gets so catch 22 as they say.

Ooh, my mind is imagining some pretty weird stuff now.

Back